DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

WEAK SIGNAL/SIGNAL LOST

CanAuzieman

Reactions
I am new to this group and new to drones in general, but have been searching high and low for an answer to this and can't seem to find one.

Like many of the threads that discuss this topic already, I struggle with signal interference, I get told that the signal is weak, and I get aircraft disconnects quite regularly - nearly every flight. The controller showed "aircraft disconnected" in the top left when I was only about 5m away from myself, but I still had full control of the drone, just no video feed - reviewing the footage later, the camera did continue recording despite the drop in connection.

I have tried what I've read so far - I've experimented with the positioning of the antennas, i've made sure i'm outside in a completely open area, i've deleted and re-installed the app, I've updated the firmware, but still if I get more than about 120-150m away from myself, the signal will get weak.....I panic a bit and never try to push it further, and I fly straight home.

I've seen flights of the mavic with people going 3+ miles out (which I personally would not do)....but is there any other ideas you guys may have as to why this happens so consistently at around the 120-150m mark? I've literally been standing at the top of a hill before, the highest point around for miles, and still get told there's signal interference?

I haven't tried any of the official DJI routes for warranty or replacement or anything, only because I have heard they're incredibly slow and i'm not in the mood for that.....and also because I'm sure it's ME who's doing something wrong here, so I would lose my drone for weeks, pay some random hidden fees, only to have the unit returned identical....no thanks.

Thanks in advance

I am new to this group and new to drones in general, but have been searching high and low for an answer to this and can't seem to find one.

Like many of the threads that discuss this topic already, I struggle with signal interference, I get told that the signal is weak, and I get aircraft disconnects quite regularly - nearly every flight. The controller showed "aircraft disconnected" in the top left when I was only about 5m away from myself, but I still had full control of the drone, just no video feed - reviewing the footage later, the camera did continue recording despite the drop in connection.

I have tried what I've read so far - I've experimented with the positioning of the antennas, i've made sure i'm outside in a completely open area, i've deleted and re-installed the app, I've updated the firmware, but still if I get more than about 120-150m away from myself, the signal will get weak.....I panic a bit and never try to push it further, and I fly straight home.

I've seen flights of the mavic with people going 3+ miles out (which I personally would not do)....but is there any other ideas you guys may have as to why this happens so consistently at around the 120-150m mark? I've literally been standing at the top of a hill before, the highest point around for miles, and still get told there's signal interference?

I haven't tried any of the official DJI routes for warranty or replacement or anything, only because I have heard they're incredibly slow and i'm not in the mood for that.....and also because I'm sure it's ME who's doing something wrong here, so I would lose my drone for weeks, pay some random hidden fees, only to have the unit returned identical....no thanks.

Thanks in advance
Sounds like hardware failure to me. I would suggest you to send it in. It's better to be without the drone for a few weeks but later you can fly it for 2-3km instead of just keeping it and can only fly for 150m. Even with CE tx power, you should get at least 2-3km if you stand on top of a hill and have VLOS.

That is defiantly not right .... to speed up your support request I suggest you reset everything and use DJI Assistant 2 to reinstall the latest firmware on the Mavic AND the controller and then out in the open a field if possible calibrate the compass etc as support will only ask you to do this anyway. Then do a test flight once you have done this then open a support ticket via the online chat and explain your issue and what you have done to try and resolve the issue.

They should then send you a UPS label email to return the drone and controller to a service centre as the issue could be with either the drone or the controller.

Do you know anyone with a mavic that could test a controller on ??

You left out a lot of information about your setup that would be helpful in troubleshooting your problem but I would first check cable connection between device and Mavic’s radio. Also try using the bottom usb on the radio (nothing plugged into mini usb on side of radio) Good luck, hope you get it figured.

Reactions: wsteele
wow thanks for all the replies - I didn't get the notifications to tell me you'd all replied. Will sort that out in settings somewhere.

I'm on the samsung galaxy s7 edge for my phone. I only purchased the drone about 2 weeks ago now, and when setting it up initially I spent AGES downloading all the firmware updates and things - I foolishly took it out to the field thinking it was ready to go, only to spend about 30ish minutes updating it. So from a firmware perspective I feel like i'm as up to date as possible - when I go into the settings to update firmware manually it tells me it's all up to date?

one noob mistake I have discovered is that I was not turning off the wifi on my phone, so perhaps some of the interference was coming from accidentally picking up wifi from surrounding houses? the other noob mistake I made was the positioning of the antenna - I didn't have them straight up and down but rather was trying to point the tip of the antenna at the drone - which I know now is actually the opposite of what you're meant to do.

I'll do a bunch of test flights on the weekend when I'm free again and will see if I can take it further with those subtle modifications. But I also saw a fix for this issue where the cable that comes with the controller with the micro USB port is a bit ****, he recommended changing to a USB to microUSB plugging it into the bottom USB port rather than the side micro one - he said the connection was more stable that way too.

the fact that I still have full control of the drone with the controller with no display on the phone there feels like the issue must be with the communication between the phone and the controller rather than an issue with comunication between the controller and the drone right?

In case this doesn't work, can anyone tell me how to upload my logs from the DJI assistant onto here? I've seen lots of people doing this in the support forums - is this just screen shots or what?

Do you know anyone with a mavic that could test a controller on ??

oh and no, I don't know anyone else with a mavic.....don't even know anyone else here in perth with a drone at all. Very new to this whole scene, so there is definitely no option of testing it out with someone else's gear unfortunately....

Now that you've explained it, it's probably not hardware failure. The point of the antenna is where the signal is weakest.

Please do inform us the result of your test. Hopefully everything is ok.

thanks everyone for the help - I've tested her out and she's all fixed. Got it to 800m before I just ran out of space to safely fly her so turned back around - very fun. Love my mavic!

Reactions: Porto
oh and no, I don't know anyone else with a mavic.....don't even know anyone else here in perth with a drone at all. Very new to this whole scene, so there is definitely no option of testing it out with someone else's gear unfortunately....
Hi Auzieman.
Love Perth - was there windurfing in the 80s for three consecutive summers. Was my second home. Family aside i wish i as still there! Back in the UK now.
i bought my Mavic the week after you and am having much the same problem as a newbie, so i will be watching your thread replies with interest.
i am going to try the USB cable as has been suggested and also turning off wifi which i have not done. i was told / read somewhere that the antennae should be at 45 degrees facing you.
Chris

i was told / read somewhere that the antennae should be at 45 degrees facing you.
Chris
The flat part of the RC antenna should be facing the Mavic. As I wrote a few posts above, the point of the antenna is where the signal is weakest.

The flat part of the RC antenna should be facing the Mavic. As I wrote a few posts above, the point of the antenna is where the signal is weakest.
Yes agreed / understand, on the basis that the craft is likely to be above and in front of you. i see why now!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wlochaty