DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Weight reduction of Mini 2 down to 212g = 4 minutes more air time.

Dushash

Reactions
To get lighter version - I took off top cover, bottom cover and heat sink. This is all on stock battery. Checked temperature without heat sink and it was barely lukewarm, so no issues at all indoors. Then I did some testing today: stock Mini 2 (238g) vs lighter Mini 2 (212g) hovering above floor indoors. Lighter version did hover for 4 minutes more. So 26g difference (11% weight difference) gives about 4 minutes extra air time.

Took a test flight outside with lighter version and some observations so far:
1. Even less noisy than stock, noticeably less noisy. Pitch is lower and you can hear it it's not struggling at all vs stock one. I had hard time even hearing it from 6ft away outside when it was hovering. This thing is seriously stealthy.

2. Flight time increased and you can tell the difference right away looking at timer and percentage and slower voltage drop.

3. Biggest surprise was to NOT get any strong wind warning even when I went 400ft altitude. Previously flying in the same spot multiple times I ALWAYS got strong wind warning starting at 240ft altitude. I'm guessing 11% weight reduction makes that much easier for motors to correct for wind. Contrary to popular belief that heavier drones handle wind better. I'm assuming it's not about weight but about weight to power ratio and how easy it is for drone to compensate for wind.

4. I was worried if it will start snowing during the flight and ruining the drone, but it came back dry as a bone. So that's something to look out for. I might cover it with transparent plastic wrap on top - will barely weigh anything, but will cover it from rain/snow. That might be the solution.

5. It's hard to explain, but I felt that drone was more agile and easy to control in windy weather.

Things I want to check tomorrow: max speed to find out if it'll increase due to less weight of drone or if its limited by firmware and will stay the same as stock. Overall I'm very pleased with results so far.

Last edited:
Now of course question is if it's worth it to do it for just 4 more minutes of air time? I don't recommend doing it just because you might break parts during disassembly. All plastic parts are very thin and fragile. I did manage to not break anything, but I took the risk knowing what might happen. For me it's just a curiosity to see how things work and to what extend things can be pushed over the stock specs.

The top cover is structural, the middle case flexes more without it, I too have flown a topless mavic mini but that is due to it being an on going repair in progress (dicky gimbal).
What is the temperature in Canada at the moment?
With out the props running the bottom shell of a Mavic Mini and Mini2 get warm to the touch in 10 to 15 C air. I can't see DJI engineers designing a heat sink for no reason, especially when it adds weight and weight is such a concern.

Reactions: Dushash
To get lighter version - I took off top cover, bottom cover and heat sink. This is all on stock battery. Checked temperature without heat sink and it was barely lukewarm, so no issues at all indoors. Then I did some testing today: stock Mini 2 (238g) vs lighter Mini 2 (212g) hovering above floor indoors. Lighter version did hover for 4 minutes more. So 26g difference (11% weight difference) gives about 4 minutes extra air time.

Took a test flight outside with lighter version and some observations so far:
1. Even less noisy than stock, noticeably less noisy. Pitch is lower and you can hear it it's not struggling at all vs stock one. I had hard time even hearing it from 6ft away outside when it was hovering. This thing is seriously stealthy.

2. Flight time increased and you can tell the difference right away looking at timer and percentage and slower voltage drop.

3. Biggest surprise was to NOT get any strong wind warning even when I went 400ft altitude. Previously flying in the same spot multiple times I ALWAYS got strong wind warning starting at 240ft altitude. I'm guessing 11% weight reduction makes that much easier for motors to correct for wind. Contrary to popular belief that heavier drones handle wind better. I'm assuming it's not about weight but about weight to power ratio and how easy it is for drone to compensate for wind.

4. I was worried if it will start snowing during the flight and ruining the drone, but it came back dry as a bone. So that's something to look out for. I might cover it with transparent plastic wrap on top - will barely weigh anything, but will cover it from rain/snow. That might be the solution.

5. It's hard to explain, but I felt that drone was more agile and easy to control in windy weather.

Things I want to check tomorrow: max speed to find out if it'll increase due to less weight of drone or if its limited by firmware and will stay the same as stock. Overall I'm very pleased with results so far.
Well the lighter weight is the reason the wind didn't affect you as much, because you're not really flying a drone, a chip set is. When you truly pilot a drone, heavier does do better and feels better in strong winds.

You might not have felt it get that hot either, but I'd be careful taking the heat sync off that, it's one thing to run a naked vista or take 2 of 4 heat sinks off of it to fit in your racing quad, gut the heat sync on the actual drone could be bad, then your going to cover it with plastic wrap?!! Are you trying to bake a potato? If you want to low level water proof it just from sprinkles and light rain, then just buy some of that conformal coating, that you just brush on, there's all kinds of tutorials on youtube how to do it.

What is the temperature in Canada at the moment?
With out the props running the bottom shell of a Mavic Mini and Mini2 get warm to the touch in 10 to 15 C air. I can't see DJI engineers designing a heat sink for no reason, especially when it adds weight and weight is such a concern.
I agree. I will put heat sink back, because indoors it’s safer with it and it’s only 3g, so it’s going back to the drone. Outdoors we have 2F (-17C) and after flight chips were cold even without heat sink.

Well the lighter weight is the reason the wind didn't affect you as much, because you're not really flying a drone, a chip set is. When you truly pilot a drone, heavier does do better and feels better in strong winds.

You might not have felt it get that hot either, but I'd be careful taking the heat sync off that, it's one thing to run a naked vista or take 2 of 4 heat sinks off of it to fit in your racing quad, gut the heat sync on the actual drone could be bad, then your going to cover it with plastic wrap?!! Are you trying to bake a potato? If you want to low level water proof it just from sprinkles and light rain, then just buy some of that conformal coating, that you just brush on, there's all kinds of tutorials on youtube how to do it.
Yes I agree. Conformal coating is a good idea! It’ll protect from light rain and snow while still providing open frame for ventilation and cooling by propellers. This is my first drone so I don’t know much about them.

I also agree like you said it felt less affected by wind as it’s chipset flying it not me. I guess you are right, in piloting manual mode heavier drones do better. With Mini 2 it’s all chipset driven so it’s good that it’s lighter.

Well, put prop guards on it and you'll definitely be Class 1 and fly over people. LOL

• Haha
Reactions: J Herb and Dushash
I would be wary of removing ALL the battery cover.
The case serves to locate/position the battery within the drone, removing the cover entirely may allow the battery to wobble and cause a disconnection.
It may also affect the degree to which the battery is locked into the drone i.e. it may make it easy for the battery to come out of the drone.

Well, put prop guards on it and you'll definitely be Class 1 and fly over people. LOL
I never thought about it lol. So that’s why I often see people trying to get lightweight drone. To be able to officially fly over people.
In my case I’m just curiosity driven, I would never fly over people as I don’t feel comfortable. Plus don’t want to deal with angry people even if I’m legally doing it.

I would be wary of removing ALL the battery cover.
The case serves to locate/position the battery within the drone, removing the cover entirely may allow the battery to wobble and cause a disconnection.
It may also affect the degree to which the battery is locked into the drone i.e. it may make it easy for the battery to come out of the drone.
You are right. I inspected it and saw a notch and corresponding clip on lower half battery casing. Battery was snug (in fact a bit too snug requiring mild force to get it out of connection) but I’m going to put lower casing back to be able to clip and unclip, like stock battery.

Reactions: Bradders71
I would think you would need bits from top, bottom and both sides of the battery shell to ensure correct location of the battery. You would also need to ensure that the replaced bits of the shell actually bear on something in the drone when everything is 'home'. The 'tube' in the drone into which the battery fits does not have continuous, complete walls.
Bottom only etc. would just displace the battery in one direction.

Whilst I think you are pushing the boat out a bit far and perhaps compromising the airworthiness of the drone (which may be a legal consideration) it is an interesting experiment. To that end, try disconnecting the front LED wiring plug from the ESC board and see if that causes any error messages?
I recollect the front LED does have some communication value but can't remember what.
If there are no errors you could try removing the front LED but BE CAREFUL I have NO idea how it is secured. If it is glued in, hair drier heat might soften the glue but DO NOT get the drone's shell too hot.

I would think you would need bits from top, bottom and both sides of the battery shell to ensure correct location of the battery. You would also need to ensure that the replaced bits of the shell actually bear on something in the drone when everything is 'home'. The 'tube' in the drone into which the battery fits does not have continuous, complete walls.
Bottom only etc. would just displace the battery in one direction.

Whilst I think you are pushing the boat out a bit far and perhaps compromising the airworthiness of the drone (which may be a legal consideration) it is an interesting experiment. To that end, try disconnecting the front LED wiring plug from the ESC board and see if that causes any error messages?
I recollect the front LED does have some communication value but can't remember what.
If there are no errors you could try removing the front LED but BE CAREFUL I have NO idea how it is secured. If it is glued in, hair drier heat might soften the glue but DO NOT get the drone's shell too hot.
Good idea, I never thought about it. I’m going to work, but I’ll try to check the front LED as soon as I’m back.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan