DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Well It Was Bound To Happen!

Glad you got the clearance for a new one, many of us (including myself) have paid the price for folly in this hobby. Live and learn.

Sorry for your recent loss - if it were me, I think I would have to get creative in my explanation to my wife...."honey, you should have seen it - a HUGE Great White Surged from the Surf and swallowed my drone whole...too bad that supersized fish swallowed the drone or I would be able to show you some amazing video footage...." or something along those lines - LOL - best of luck

Glad you've got the OK for a new one Thumbswayup I remember when mine ran out of battery 2km away as I stupidly cancelled the auto RTH to finish a quickshot. I hadn't twigged that at 14% it would straight land rather than let you try to get it closer. Horrible feeling as the screen goes grey and doesn't return. Luckily I wasn't over water and after 30 minutes of searching in long grass after running the 2km across various fields/fences I found her again!

Hope you get sorted soon.

While this is true that it will try to auto land itself, you can keep the left stick up to fight against the drone from landing while you make your way back home.

Reactions: Adgej123
While this is true that it will try to auto land itself, you can keep the left stick up to fight against the drone from landing while you make your way back home.

Good to know cheers, could have saved a fair bit of cross country rescue if I had known and got a couple of hundred extra metres back! ?

Well Sydney has had HUGE surf these last few days but along with that high winds. Today the wind subsided and seas abated abit. Out flying I bravely went. Off the point seas 3-4 mtrs and my T/O altitude about 5-6meters ASL. Got some great pics of the surfers and then a massive set came through........
I see white water on the ipad and push left stick max climb. For a split second I think Im safe, then flashes IMU compass error fail on the screen.
Now all is black...I wait for 5 minutes looking at the skies

All I can assume is that the white water disorientated the internal compass/imu and thats all she said...On the upside I forgot to load my SD card but lost a freewell ND16/PL
NOw to try to convince my wife to let me buy a new one...
RIP ?????????????????????
I liked your story Juggler .. just this same day My Mavic Platinum took off on the park nearby. Went straight up like a rocket (I had no control) just cleared 100 feet and came down just as fast a short distance away. A loud thump on the park, bounced up and landed on its back. Camera still working upside down ... Long story short. No apparent physical damage .. still powered on .. but #1 compass inside problem. Go 4 said "Disconnected" Wouldn't recalibrate! at all !
Broken hearted .. I spent 2 hours tonight separated the casing (difficult for me) but right tools. Re-seated the connector to the compass (inside top rear) back together .. and now all is good again. Amazing. Hope you enjoy your replacement buy and best of luck next time. :) Merv Perth ..

Well Sydney has had HUGE surf these last few days but along with that high winds. Today the wind subsided and seas abated abit. Out flying I bravely went. Off the point seas 3-4 mtrs and my T/O altitude about 5-6meters ASL. Got some great pics of the surfers and then a massive set came through........
I see white water on the ipad and push left stick max climb. For a split second I think Im safe, then flashes IMU compass error fail on the screen.

All I can assume is that the white water disorientated the internal compass/imu and thats all she said...On the upside I forgot to load my SD card but lost a freewell ND16/PL

I liked your story Juggler .. just this same day My Mavic Platinum took off on the park nearby. Went straight up like a rocket (I had no control) just cleared 100 feet and came down just as fast a short distance away. A loud thump on the park, bounced up and landed on its back. Camera still working upside down ... Long story short. No apparent physical damage .. still powered on .. but #1 compass inside problem. Go 4 said "Disconnected" Wouldn't recalibrate! at all !
Broken hearted .. I spent 2 hours tonight separated the casing (difficult for me) but right tools. Re-seated the connector to the compass (inside top rear) back together .. and now all is good again. Amazing. Hope you enjoy your replacement buy and best of luck next time. :) Merv Perth ..
thx Merv glad to see you got yours fixed...

Now question for y'all....
Has anyone had any luck with DJI transferring the refresh package to a new s/n? I obviously cant recover my drone but when I had the signal card replaced under warranty I took up the refresh. That was only days ago. I mwill get onto chat and ask but thought I might just throw it out here first..

[

I know what my wife would say.....

So good luck to you.
Well surprisingly my LOVING UNDERSTANDING wife will let me get a new one. I think the tears in my eyes softened her up)...Ill dig out the logs
[/QUOTE]
I think you must have used holy water to make those tears and get her blessing ?

This is the perfect example as to why somebody who does over water flights often should have BOTH the Wetsuit and Rescue Jacket from PhantomRain.

I just got word that my kit will be shipped Monday. Super stoked

I fly over water all the time. Salt water. I don't fly very far away, and I don't fly over deep water. (For now) The Rescue Jacket will end my anxiety about flying over deep water (because your drone floats, even upside down, after impact from altitude) and the Wetsuit will end my anxiety about getting a splash here or there because it seals the battery, and sure...
saltwater = BAD...but...
When I return from a saltwater flight with the Wetsuit, I will simply pour purified water over the drone before turning off the motors. ??

@Phantomrain.org , feel free to correct anything.

Well I found the last MA2 within 30 Km of home..... Firmware updated...Back into it.
MA2.jpgMA21.jpg

Juggler, have you taken any decent surfing footage in the last couple of months? I’m just north of you in Manly and I’ve attempted it a few times, but it’s tough getting the height, angle, speed, distance and direction correct, particularly given that the wave and surfer are both zigging around. I’m also conscious of annoying the surfers by buzzing too close to them for too long.

CONCLUSION TO THE SAGA...

Well I sent DJI my flight logs and data for their assessment. As it happens it was a fault with my drone that caused the crash, not sure what it was but they sent me a new drone, battery and props. All I lost in the end was the ND filter and $1500 for a new drone cause I was bored.
I now have a squadron of MA2's .....scrabblenew.jpg

Reactions: TreeHugger
Juggler, have you taken any decent surfing footage in the last couple of months? I’m just north of you in Manly and I’ve attempted it a few times, but it’s tough getting the height, angle, speed, distance and direction correct, particularly given that the wave and surfer are both zigging around. I’m also conscious of annoying the surfers by buzzing too close to them for too long.
Yes some very good stuff IMO, but I find it is easier when the surf is smaller...I havent had any irate surfers waving me off. but I dd have an angry fisho on a boat cast at me and he just missed.

As i said, a true imu failure within warranty period should be claimable waaranty case, even if it drops into the sea with no wreckage
He said it got hit by a wave then had imu failure that is not the same as it just failed,

Glad you will replace the little fella! Good for you. I've had my MA2 a few weeks now and getting more confident. So far have just been flying in fields or in my back yard. But now it's time to go for the nice imagery! Which in my case living on the coast in New England, means OVER WATER. Plenty of light houses, gorgeous coastline. If I fly at a good height, how reliable is this drone over water? I would hate to give it a drink and lose it only to have it be unrecoverable. So far however, no mechanical/digital problems and it has been very reliable.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotSure