DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

West Midlands Flying areas

I too live in the Midlands and am looking for 'approved' places to fly. I bought a Mavic Pro and Air a couple of months ago and am just getting the hang of flying and all of the capabilities and features of my aircraft. I am 57 years old and consider myself to be a responsible person, and want to abide by the law and show consideration for other people while persuing my new hobby. I have started flying in the farm fields behind my house which is in a small village near Hinckley. I launch from a public bridle path and obey the DroneCode and check the area (and file a plan) in NATS Drone Assist ,which simply says follow the drone code.

Several people have asked me what I was doing and I explained and asked if I was causing them any concerns. Everyone has been very interested and was surprisingly supportive ... until last Friday evening when I was approached by 2 men who told me they were off duty police officers but showed no identification and said that I cannot fly there without permission from the Parish Council, and if I continue they will call the uniform police. It was late and in a secluded area, getting dark and the gentlemen were rather intimidating, so I just packed up and left. I wanted to call their bluff but didn't think it was worth the hassle.

I will write to the police and the Parish Council to report the 'incident' and confirm required permissions but I don't want to cause anyone any offence or discomfort so will find somewhere else to fly. The question is where? There is a lot of guidance about places people think are OK but it would be great if we can positively identify places that are OK, maybe start a list here and if so maybe organise some meets? I am unsure how to identify the land owners to request permission, much of the land is let and not owned by the tenants - any tips would be appreciated.

I'd really like to fly with someone else (my partner isn't interested) - I have Moverios and DJI goggles so a like minded spotter in the area to share and take turns with would be really great.

This forum has been a great support so far in my research and 'flight training' . This is my first post, so I'd just like to say thanks to everyone in the community for the excellent information and discussions.

David
Old post I know, but I'm also in Hinckley - small world. Not a million miles away from the Triumph Factory.

Hi David - I've just joined here and found your post. I am struggling for locations, and am not far from you - only in Coalville. I'd be interested in meeting a few members and finding some interesting places within our area. Let me know how you get on, what you've found

Best regards

David

HI all, I just thought I would pop onto this site to see how many people were around the birmingham area. I see there are a few here. Always nice to find people for a meet up. I personally have flown at Sutton Park, i was unaware of any problems with it and whilst flying the park ranger just drove past me so I guess as long as you follow the CAA rules you should be fine. I am only saying this as the ranger ignored me. He could have been going to something important. I did get a lot of interest from people who do like to see the park from the sky and ask about it. I also ended up costing a guy some money once his daughter saw the drone and started telling him "Dad we NEED one of those". I do find some other places and try to get some nice images of the ground from above. Just gotta be mindful of people's privacy.

Reactions: landmark orbiter
HI all, I just thought I would pop onto this site to see how many people were around the birmingham area. I see there are a few here. Always nice to find people for a meet up. I personally have flown at Sutton Park, i was unaware of any problems with it and whilst flying the park ranger just drove past me so I guess as long as you follow the CAA rules you should be fine. I am only saying this as the ranger ignored me. He could have been going to something important. I did get a lot of interest from people who do like to see the park from the sky and ask about it. I also ended up costing a guy some money once his daughter saw the drone and started telling him "Dad we NEED one of those". I do find some other places and try to get some nice images of the ground from above. Just gotta be mindful of people's privacy.
East of the city centre here, plenty of countryside locations to shoot with some interesting buildings to break up the greenery.
Word to the wise, from one local to another: Sutton park can be a bit.... entertaining.... every so often you get gangs of feral kids (kids.... Anything under 20 is a kid to a duffer like me) who like to ambush cyclists and the suchlike. Having an oppo with you as a spare pair of eyes is never a bad idea. Coventry has Lunt fort which is an impressive reconstruction of a 1st century castrum gatehouse and palisade wall. Best to phone cov airport ATC and 'book' your flight as it's right on the doorstep. Right weather.... right time of day (golden hour) and you'll get some spanking shots.

Reactions: landmark orbiter
I was flying at the Lickeys yesterday. It's fine. Busy on weekends, so keep to week days. I hand a small amount of dog walkers around and they were friendly with one or two taking interstate's and asking questions. You're only going to get issues if you start buzzing low and deliberately make a **** of yourself. So a keep to a level were the rotor noise doesn't bother anyone. I was in plain site with the controller but I easily could have gone out of view and I doubt anyone would have realised I was there except for take off and landing. Id love to fly Clent Hills but that is National Trust.
I can totally understand it

Hi everyone.
I'm one of the admins for West Midlands Drone Club on Facebook and am putting together a Google Earth overlay (.kml file) of recommended places to fly in the county. I would appreciate your input as to where you fly yourselves so we can add it to the layer.
Please feel free to add yourselves to the group.
Thanks, Andy.

View attachment 66678
Is this up and running still and if so can I have a link for it please many thanks

From someone in the Lickey Hills West Midlands I'd be interested to join the "West Midlands Drone Club" however I can't find it on FB.

Any links?

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mini2boost