DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

what am i doing wrong !!!

ninja_geezer

Reactions
ok so had my Air 2 s nearly 2 months now flown quite a bit and used most functions ,but today i was on a huge reservoir and wanted to track the sailing boats ,try as i might i could not lock on any no matter how close or how high it just told me that i could track cars and people ,,,well i know last year with my air 2 i used to just draw around the same yacht's and it would just track ,please advise what the hell am i doing wrong ,it even used to show a picture of a boat on the screen ,i tried poi,focus lock and active track trace and parallel. confused .....:confused:

Has anyone used active track on the air 2 s on any boats ?

It's hit or miss with anything other than a car or people with active track. Sometimes you just get lucky and the algorithm picks it up even if it's not a car or person. Sometimes it's a little iffy on the things it's supposed to be able to pick up depending on object speed or the angle from the camera.

ok so had my Air 2 s nearly 2 months now flown quite a bit and used most functions ,but today i was on a huge reservoir and wanted to track the sailing boats ,try as i might i could not lock on any no matter how close or how high it just told me that i could track cars and people ,,,well i know last year with my air 2 i used to just draw around the same yacht's and it would just track ,please advise what the hell am i doing wrong ,it even used to show a picture of a boat on the screen ,i tried poi,focus lock and active track trace and parallel. confused .....:confused:
It's not you. Active track functionality is... Let's just say ... Somewhat less than optimal.

If you get a lock, most likely you'll lose it. It's incredibly frustrating.

As an example, I burned a whole battery TRYING to use AT on a tractor twice the size of a semi moving 4.5 mph in a straight line. As a side note it actually locked one once and indicated a sailboat LOL. It didn't hold track long enough to get the shot done.

It's frustrating. Just know not to count on it when you need it.

• Haha
Reactions: ninja_geezer
I could not believe TBH ,the active track on the Air 2s for me has been way better than my last air 2,but i could not get a single lock on the yachts' ,the upside is it makes me practice manual flying lol.....it follows me around like a lost sheep no worries....:p

Has anyone used active track on the air 2 s on any boats ?
I did but it was a 26' center console not a sail boat. I tracked another boat but wasn't filming, just messing around seeing if would lock and it did. The other boat was a small bow rider.

I did but it was a 26' center console not a sail boat. I tracked another boat but wasn't filming, just messing around seeing if would lock and it did. The other boat was a small bow rider.
cool, out of interest what altitude and distance approx as it may help me next time. :)

cool, out of interest what altitude and distance approx as it may help me next time. :)
Started here and tracked for a good bit. The Air wasn't able to always keep up even though I thought we stayed well within it's flight speed. The drone didn't stay exactly here and lost track a couple times when we turned to starboard but was able to pick the boat back up and start tracking again. At one point it flew from starboard, right over the bow maybe 30 ft from us and then came around and tracked from the original starting position. The whole thing made for a pretty cool video. This was pretty late in the day so not exactly perfect lighting. AT1.jpg

Started here and tracked for a good bit. The Air wasn't able to always keep up even though I thought we stayed well within it's flight speed. The drone didn't stay exactly here and lost track a couple times when we turned to starboard but was able to pick the boat back up and start tracking again. At one point it flew from starboard, right over the bow maybe 30 ft from us and then came around and tracked from the original starting position. The whole thing made for a pretty cool video. This was pretty late in the day so not exactly perfect lighting. View attachment 131358
many thanks ,yes i was about that close to the sailing boats but no joy.

Contrast of the object to background is probably as important for a good lock as having a fairly slow speed, and smooth turns of the tracked object.
boat was opposite my drone tracking right to left going slow i was in cine mode,i was at about level in height about 200 foot or so away just said cannot recognise object and can only track cars,people .ive attached a couple of screen shots ,contrast very good as well.

Attachments

• 20210628_214443.jpg
    20210628_214443.jpg
    6.7 MB · Views: 3
  • 20210628_214458.jpg
    20210628_214458.jpg
    6 MB · Views: 3
boat was opposite my drone tracking right to left going slow i was in cine mode,i was at about level in height about 200 foot or so away just said cannot recognise object and can only track cars,people .ive attached a couple of screen shots ,contrast very good as well.
Seems like it should have easily picked that up. Throwing this out there but is it possible you couldn't track them because you were in cine mode? I haven't tried that but maybe it wouldn't do it because the sail boat was moving too fast? I know that probably sound weird but I've seen some sail boats getting it across the water.

Seems like it should have easily picked that up. Throwing this out there but is it possible you couldn't track them because you were in cine mode? I haven't tried that but maybe it wouldn't do it because the sail boat was moving too fast? I know that probably sound weird but I've seen some sail boats getting it across the water.
could be but i was manually tracking it as it was going slowly i tracked it like this for a while.something to try next time though good point.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotSure