DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What are some "must have" Mavic Zoom upgrades?

Reactions
I just got myself the Mavic Zoom along with an extra battery and plan to use some cheap FPV goggles with my iPhone. I'll be using Litchi so I can program flights. What other "must have" tools / gear would you recommend picking up?

Reactions: nomorebeefstrips
Here is my list: :)

Bought the flymore kit....need more batteries
Bought another battery......need more remote time
Bought Charger to charge batteries faster
Bought power bank.....need bigger screen
Bought 9" tablet......need brighter screen
Bought DJI RE goggles.......not for me
Sold RE Goggles
Bought Moverio BT-300
Needed bag to carry all the extra stuff.....
Bought a case
New DJI controller came out....had to have...
Now Moverio BT-300 not work with new controller
Sold BT-300 and purchased BT-35E....
Bought bigger bag to hold more stuff......
Dont think it will end here......

:)

Here is my list: :)
*SNIP*

Similar here, only without the goggles (UK requires unaided VLOS but I'm toying with getting a Moverio). I'm already a serious photographer so have more camera bags/cases than Imelda Marcos had shoes, so no worries there, and haven't found a need for a faster multi-charger yet.

Some other things not on the list:
  • Filters - CPs, NDs, and GNDs (YMMV on how useful these are, but NDs are a must for the best possible video quality, IMHO. The rest are a toss up between the specific flight and the inconvenience of actually using them)
  • Two memory cards, so I always have a spare
  • Replacement gimbal cover - the stock DJI one can be fiddly
  • A holder to let me mount a phone/tablet in a more flexible way
  • Insurance, including legal/liability cover - e.g. if I crash into someone/thing, as well as damage to/loss of the drone

• Filters - CPs, NDs, and GNDs (YMMV on how useful these are, but NDs are a must for the best possible video quality, IMHO. The rest are a toss up between the specific flight and the inconvenience of actually using them)
I popped in expecting filters to top the list! IMHO they're the only "accessory" you need at all. (Not counting extra batteries and cards as accessories but rather as essential parts)
A simple set of ND and polarized filters makes a huge difference.

Those look good, just be careful when you're putting them on for the first time. What you want to look out for are cheaper filters because if they're not manufactured to tight specifications they don't pass the gimbal initialization. (this was a problem on my Mavic 1, not sure if the gimbal goes through a similar startup with the zoom)

Thanks! What are your thoughts on getting prop guards?

While I actually purchased a set, I've not used them. I've been mainly flying in my backyard and it is quite constrained by a 2 1/2 story house and fruit trees including one smack dab in the middle of the yard. So I know about extra propellers - fortunately pruning the trees has generally worked. Attempting to prune the bathroom window not so much. But with the leaves now gone and my experience level better (not great), I've not put on the guards.

Regarding the ribbon, last week I flew over my house and was trying to film the remodel across the street. I was ZOOMing fine but had trouble panning the camera up/down. Yes, once again, I had left the gimbal guard on - not good as the drone proposefully, moves the camera in all directions when you power it up. The motors do NOT like being constrained by the gimbal guard.

Those look good, just be careful when you're putting them on for the first time. What you want to look out for are cheaper filters because if they're not manufactured to tight specifications they don't pass the gimbal initialization. (this was a problem on my Mavic 1, not sure if the gimbal goes through a similar startup with the zoom)

I will use your "first time" comment to also warn the new guy - sometimes it is VERY hard to remove the original front screw on "filter" Folks have resorted to all kinds of "tools" including rubber bands, pliers, corks (press against front and pressure try to turn). Apparently, Polar may include a plastic wrench type thingie (but not all have gotten it).

Yes, the Zoom goes through the camera movements on startup.

Looks to me like the accessories recomended would cost more than the drone!
Perhaps! :D

Just buy what you actually need... or wait until you know you need it before buying.

I just got myself the Mavic Zoom along with an extra battery and plan to use some cheap FPV goggles with my iPhone. I'll be using Litchi so I can program flights. What other "must have" tools / gear would you recommend picking up?

The Little Mavic 1 Pro carrying case also works extremely well with the Mavic 2 Zoom. Some ND lens filters are quite nice when the sun is bright too.

We just introduced the Mavic 2 Wet Suits for the Zoom and the Pro, offer some really nice features for flying in Extreme Weather and Climate changes while flying.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
silfumus