DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What are you getting for range in an urban environment?

Outside testing to be consistent and meaningful would have to be done in the desert somewhere, air temperature, pressure, humidity, bedrock, altitude, etc. would all affect the outcome. If you start reading it, it shows you how much radiation is absorbed by holding remote in the left hand, right hand, from the top etc. all that could affect the final outcome, to have meaningful results it would have to be tested by the same person. Skinny people and fat people absorb\reflect\influence radiation differently. It is quite complex to have somehow repeatable precise results.

Hence they do this in the locked chamber and robot arm measures all of that, FCC labs look pretty much the same all over the world, and if there are any differences they are controlled. They are even specific about where and to what power outlets is testing equipment connected as it could easily influence the results.
If they are using industry standards they are using FCC reports and lab to measure it then extrapolate it.

Based on those tests they can easily calculate real-life range quite precisely, having said that we might not get that rage when testing in the city with tons of interference. So if the say 4000m it is 4000m I'm sure the take bottom numbers to avoid any lawsuits, but 99% of us living in the city will never see those numbers.
Robot arms and lawsuits? Your overthinking this. They give a “max” range qualified with “ideal conditions”. What legal action might you propose as available with any prospects of success? The phantoms and Mavics I have owned achieved the the advertised range claims of DJI as demonstrated by others and my own experience.

The FCC didn’t test the products, independent laboratories perform the tests and submit the results. They aren’t interested in range.

Yeah, and he has had surgery to implant a bionic eye (for those old enough to remember the Six Million Dollar Man)
Or it might be he was well outside VLOS and relying on the FPV and telemetry downlink. Like many others have and will.

As asked in a report to weigh in I will with this guideline.
  • 15. The Forum Owners strongly encourage users to obey all federal and local laws and regulations when flying. It is a helpful service to the community when members guide others in understanding and following the regulations. Meanwhile, fully understanding all international rules and regulations is complex and it is not the responsibility of the forum owners, moderators or community members to police and enforce these rules and regulations. Any violation of another community rule, even if in the context of attempting to help enforce flying laws and regulations, is prohibited.

See post #36 in the above thread. Says it all really and it comes from a forum administrator.

And see this post.
You guys have left the Original post which was
DJI's specs list the Mavic Mini as having 4,000m (13,123ft, or just under 2.5 miles) as the RC-aircraft range under ideal, unobstructed conditions.

This test by Billy Kyle got a range of about 9,000ft over a river in Philadelphia. This test over a river in a non-urban environment seems to confirm DJI's 4,000m rating.

I've been launching from home in a suburban development and the furthest I've been able to go is 2,500 ft before I start getting interference or complete loss of RC connection and RTH is activated. I knew I would get less than the rated range, but I haven't been able to even get half as far.

What has everyone else been getting in an urban environment?
now you have turned it into a debate.
I beleave all have made their point so no more.
Stay on the main topic guys from here out.

i would like to know whether is it true that if we fly higher the reached distance can be better?
The optimal set up is to fly from a tall hilltop, over lower ground below your launch point. This not only allows you to fly closer to the ground for better video, but also minimizes any ground obstructions lower than your launch point that would otherwise block clear LOS.

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Htrismegistus