DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How far should I fly?

I’ve only got to look down at my screen, look back up at the drone and I’ve lost sight of it? and that’s only with it at about 500ft way. I spend more time trying to relocate it and wasting valuable battery life by keep bringing it back into view.

Even when it’s close by, I can hear it but still can’t see it... my spotter has more luck seeing the drone than I do?

Think I need to invest in some led’s as Don has?

To repeat what has already been said, the distance I fly depends entirely on what I want to photograph. In an area where there are no people but canyons that need photographing I will fly over one mile, always watching the monitor screen carefully to check battery life and what the camera is showing. My spotter has better eyes and ears than I do but even then some flights are BVLOS. The main thing for me is to have the spotter be aware of any other aircraft in the area so I can avoid any possible collision. Again, if I watch the AC I can usually see it fine until I look down at the monitor. Often when I look up again I have lost sight of it even though it is still where it was before I looked down. The AC against a white cloud is visible much further away than when the sky is clear or slightly overcast.

1000 feet (ish) is my comfort zone but it varies day to day. With a visual observer who keeps eyes on the UAS at all times (so I can glance at the screen without having to struggle to reacquire my Mavic) I'll push it a little further.

I bought a strobe with the hopes of increasing this distance, but, during the day it made little to no difference to me. I'd still lose it visually at 1000' - 1250'. I've never flown at night, but I'm guessing that I could see the strobe MUCH further out.

Please note that when I say "see" the drone, it's a speck and there is no way I could ascertain direction of travel at that range visually therefore I don't typically go 1000' out very often.

I am an old RC airplane guy. In the old days, we always kept it close enough so if it crashed, we could go retrieve it. If there is a dense forest, body of water, or mountain in your way, it's going to be tough to go get it, unless youre Davey Crockett, have scuba gear, or have the climbing skills of Spiderman.

This is the best answer and I am also an old RC fixed wing pilot. I don't want to risk losing a thousand dollar drone anymore than I'd want to crash a thousand dollar model airplane. I follow the AMA rules, have their liability insurance and have State Farm personal property insurance coverage on my drone. That doesn't mean just for the sake of having fun I want to fly BVLOS and risk flying over people, cars, parks, etc. If the laws say it's illegal why would you risk other peoples lives and do it? What if a medivac helicopter suddenly appears in your flight path? What if you fly over a busy highway and one of your props fail and your drone falls onto the windshield of a car with a family of kids? Did you buy your drone just to break the laws and ruin it for legal hobbyists? Drones only have a front facing cam so no peripheral vision which means your flying with horse blinders on. A police helicopter could be approaching you from the back or side and you'd never know it if your out 2-3 miles. I only fly at my clubs AMA field and as far as I can see my turning direction (heading) while staying in the boundaries of our 80 acre site. The FAA has serious rules about drones for a reason, to protect life and property. I would not want to risk jail time or a huge fine just to have fun and take videos. Use common sense people, don't violate the laws. They're put in place for a reason!

Buy firehouse strobes white. I bought four and velcroed them onto arms. Two facing forward two facing back. Now I can fly 3000 feet in sunlight and still be in vlos. During civil twilight I can go over a mile away and still see it.

I also use the strobes when I am near any airport... usually class g just to be safe..

I photographed some of Doris Dukes Estate in Hillsborough , NJ and was flying just outside the traffic pattern of Central Jersey Regional. They are supposed to be at 1000 ft but I think they often come In lower.. strobes offered piece of mind even though I was under 400ft

I use the strobes all the time unless I can maintain vlos without and don’t want any people to notice the drone..

Vlos is hard to establish.. you can see the drone, look down at your screen and lose it..

The idea is be extra safe....for the sake of people’s lives..

I love the strobes for my one mile stretch out to the lighthouse in the bay.

Attachments

• 5F3FE094-B1E2-4242-A291-D3D53379D10C.jpeg
    5F3FE094-B1E2-4242-A291-D3D53379D10C.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 34
  • B05D31D1-04CD-410A-B6B4-246C31D3E1D3.jpeg
    B05D31D1-04CD-410A-B6B4-246C31D3E1D3.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 35
  • E71A6F35-D1F7-4AA1-9FEA-EEC9956BCF00.jpeg
    E71A6F35-D1F7-4AA1-9FEA-EEC9956BCF00.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 33
  • 6A6E9EDD-E266-420A-AE20-8C74B506A233.jpeg
    6A6E9EDD-E266-420A-AE20-8C74B506A233.jpeg
    292.1 KB · Views: 31
Reactions: Don the engineer
I have lots of floaters in my eyes so I can see mine for miles and miles ?
Glad to see I'm not the only one that has momentarily confused a floater with their craft. LOL I have it so bad in my right eye that I normally wear an eye patch (that and it is like looking at a funhouse mirror as the straight lines are warped) but when I fly I use Moverio 300's and I have been confused for a second or two.

Please xplain huh lol?
"Eye floaters are spots in your vision. ... Most eye floaters are caused by age-related changes that occur as the jelly-like substance (vitreous) inside your eyes becomes more liquid. Microscopic fibers within the vitreous tend to clump and can cast tiny shadows on your retina. The shadows you see are called floaters."

got to agree my max distance from the home point is set to 500 mtrs or just over 16,000 ft depending on the background and ambient light i can just make it out at that distance,but quite often i struggle to see it at 1000 ft i am lucky because i have good long vision ,but need glasses for close up so i wear them on the end of my nose then i get the best of both worlds
Not to be a putz but isn’t 500 meters 1600ish feet if I’m wrongI’ll just shut up

I have yet to take my Part 107, but it appears that doesn't really offer much of an answer for VLOS. Obviously conditions will drastically impact any set distance...

My question I guess is how far do you feel comfortable flying your drone on a clear day? Obviously observing all rules of not flying over other humans etc... I live near a large park and I was quite surprised to see that the 3 mile radius from my house covers the entire park. I haven't taken my M2Z beyond 1000ft distance, and so I don't know that I'm willing to fly beyond 1 mile, but curious how many people do that on a regular basis.
Why even ask the question? why comply with any laws?
Rules are for the others to comply with so just fly as far as you can eh!
Then when they introduce more regs, you will whinge that your lifestyle is being restricted
VLOS
Its like saying how fast can you drive down the road and then whinging when you get busted.
"oh officer, i know i was supposed to comply with the road laws but my speedo says 300 km/h so i thought it would try it out
dumb

Reactions: jagraphics
So, if my wife drives me in a convertible, while I'm piloting from the car's passengers seat, while the MP is flying within 400 feet and not near traffic/people, and the route, take-off and landing spots have been approved, I'm guessing one could fly pretty far.

I am an FFA Part 107 pilot. I use my wife as VO frequently and we use 2 way radios. WIth her observation, I frequently fly 1-2 miles from my point.
1-2 miles? That's well beyond VLOS unless you have Super Man vision. You're completely missing the regs and NOT flying within them even remotely.

Sometimes it's beyond her sight too and that's within the FAA sUAS regs. They say that if you fly beyond VLOS you must regain it as soon as possible. I fly the M2P.
How in the world is that "within FAA sUAS regs"? This "allowance" for flying BVLOS allows for briefly flying behind a building etc and the aircraft coming back into VLOS. It does NOT allow you to FLY beyond your VLOS and keep flying until you happen to decide to turn around and fly back within VLOS.

How in the world can you maintain the most basic part of aviation... See & Avoid if you're flying BVLOS like you have admitted to online???

They "allow" you to temporarily delegate "VLOS" to your VO so that you can look down at the display device in order to see telemetry etc but at all times the RPIC but be able to look up and see the aircraft. The VO does not completely assume VLOS (such as flying to the extent of YOUR VLOS and then daisy chaining that to fly to the extent of your VO's VLOS...) because the RPIC must be able to see the aircraft at any moment.

This is taken directly from the FAA:

At all times the small unmanned aircraft must remain close enough to the remote pilot in command and the person manipulating the flight controls of the small UAS for those people to be capable of seeing the aircraft with vision unaided by any device other than corrective lenses.

You have answered your own question. If you are only comfortable flying 1000’ away, then that should definitely be your limit. NEver push the limits and fly in a situation where you are uncomfortable. At the end of the day, that is what anyone should stick to.

Reactions: BigAl07
I have yet to take my Part 107, but it appears that doesn't really offer much of an answer for VLOS. Obviously conditions will drastically impact any set distance...

My question I guess is how far do you feel comfortable flying your drone on a clear day? Obviously observing all rules of not flying over other humans etc... I live near a large park and I was quite surprised to see that the 3 mile radius from my house covers the entire park. I haven't taken my M2Z beyond 1000ft distance, and so I don't know that I'm willing to fly beyond 1 mile, but curious how many people do that on a regular basis.

Seems like the regulation "police" are ready to answer, and I think that is good since very few really KNOW what the law says (unlike posted speed limit signs posted every 1/2 mile LOL).

But here's the answer that you're looking for: Honestly, I am more often outside of VLOS than inside. Where I live is pretty heavily forested, so my Mavic is outside VLOS usually in less than 100' distance. BUT, I am NOT flying at altitudes in which I'm endangering any other artificial flying objects, NOR am I flying over heavily populated areas.

In addition, I'm 15 minutes away from the ocean and the Intercoastal Waterway. Once again, I'm not overflying boats or people outside of VLOS.

I'm always VERY cautious about where my drone is both for safety reasons, but also in the event of an unexpected loss of connection between my phone and controller so that I can fly back into VLOS using the distance data on the RC screen.

I've met perhaps 10 sUAS pilots in my year of flying, all pretty seasoned veterans, and several "old-farts" like me, and they've all been willing to share honestly on their own VLOS practices.

Now, if one is flying Part 107, there are more serious considerations since "commercial" flights are rarely flying over "nothing" and "nobody". If I were flying 107, I'd be flying strictly by the book for safety and liability reasons. But, this does not suggest that safety and liability is ignored when one is NOT flying Part 107.

Bottom line is this: whether I'm driving or flying, the rule that I practice is always remembering that my RIGHTS end where another's RIGHTS begin! Kind of like driving over the speed limit- the best time to do this is when no one else can get hurt AND when no one else is looking.

Seems like the regulation "police" are ready to answer, and I think that is good since very few really KNOW what the law says (unlike posted speed limit signs posted every 1/2 mile LOL).

But here's the answer that you're looking for: Honestly, I am more often outside of VLOS than inside. Where I live is pretty heavily forested, so my Mavic is outside VLOS usually in less than 100' distance. BUT, I am NOT flying at altitudes in which I'm endangering any other artificial flying objects, NOR am I flying over heavily populated areas.

In addition, I'm 15 minutes away from the ocean and the Intercoastal Waterway. Once again, I'm not overflying boats or people outside of VLOS.

I'm always VERY cautious about where my drone is both for safety reasons, but also in the event of an unexpected loss of connection between my phone and controller so that I can fly back into VLOS using the distance data on the RC screen.

I've met perhaps 10 sUAS pilots in my year of flying, all pretty seasoned veterans, and several "old-farts" like me, and they've all been willing to share honestly on their own VLOS practices.

Now, if one is flying Part 107, there are more serious considerations since "commercial" flights are rarely flying over "nothing" and "nobody". If I were flying 107, I'd be flying strictly by the book for safety and liability reasons. But, this does not suggest that safety and liability is ignored when one is NOT flying Part 107.

Bottom line is this: whether I'm driving or flying, the rule that I practice is always remembering that my RIGHTS end where another's RIGHTS begin! Kind of like driving over the speed limit- the best time to do this is when no one else can get hurt AND when no one else is looking.

Same here. I typically go a couple of miles out over water and forests here and I’m always aware of altitude/signal strength/location. Will it be much more difficult to find the drone if it goes down? Sure, but that’s a personal (financial) risk I’m willing to take. I would have bought a Spark if I just wanted to buzz around a couple hundred yard radius of my location.

Why even ask the question? why comply with any laws?
Rules are for the others to comply with so just fly as far as you can eh!
Then when they introduce more regs, you will whinge that your lifestyle is being restricted
VLOS
Its like saying how fast can you drive down the road and then whinging when you get busted.
"oh officer, i know i was supposed to comply with the road laws but my speedo says 300 km/h so i thought it would try it out
dumb

Simmer down man...why comply with any laws? Seriously? I love overly exaggerated sanctimonious statements, just because I'm going to go fly my drone 1 mile out onto a lake or a park that nobody is at doesn't mean I will ignore the laws preventing me from murder or armed robbery. Some people get so wound up and self righteous....

I assume you drive everywhere at exactly the posted speed limit right? You've never consciously accelerated beyond the posted speed limit because you are the model citizen. :rolleyes:

To everyone else that answered honestly I appreciate your answers. I am not looking to endanger anyone as I plan to fly at low altitudes. I am mostly just concerned about losing my drone to birds or loss of signal.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
henryairsoft1