DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What are your thoughts about the new DJI #SmartController that listed a steep $649.00 dollars? #

The image/screen is too small for my old eyes. Convenience factor is good. Price compared to controller plus screen device is not bad, but of course replacement cost is higher for the same reason. They should make a 7.8” version. ‘Til then I’ll stay with my 7.8” CS since it will work with my M2P as well as my other DJI drones. Just my $0.02

Reactions: Inspirephil
For cold weather flying the smart controller can’t be beat. The ease of transportation and fast flight setup is a plus. Yes, I do miss the viewing on an iPad Pro but the bright screen on the new controller, especially mid day, makes this controller a joy to use. Highly recommend.

Last edited:
I WAS JUST WONDERING IF ANYONE HAS tried out the new smart remote controller from DJI who has it listed a steep $649.00 dollars? #NewSamrtRemote #Dji #UAV
Dji Smart Controller

I did it reluctantly initially but I'm glad I jumped. It really is a pleasure popping it out of a case and turning it on. No cables or mounting brackets to deal with. Contains on-board storage and allows for sd-card expansion. But I'm also glad it came out a few months after I purchased the Zoom. While the package price is nice, it might have been enough to deter the entire purchase and hobby.

My smart controller just came in Friday (3/8/2019). I've been using an Ipad Pro 10.5. I was hesitant on going to a smaller screen, but now that I have it.. I have no regrets. The screen is very bright, and as they stated you can see it in direct sunlight. It's very portable and nice not having to worry about the tablet mount, cables, and ensuring the tablet and controller are both charged up.

I have resisted buying the Smart Controller but the more I hear about it the more I am thinking about getting myself one. The only thing is that it is Android based and I absolutely don’t like using anything Android. That’s exactly why I just sold my crystal sky monitor is because of the Android system.
For now I am going to stick with using my iPad mini 4 and I’ll just have to deal with the cable issue until I finally break down and get the Smart Controller at some point.
I’m an iOS guy from the beginning and that’s another reason I haven’t switched.

I like it, much better than the iPad which during the summer months it would over heat and shut down while the bird is still in the air (not a good thing) luckily i was flying within sight of the ship and was able to bring it back home

I am still on the fence about this. The smart controller is handy and quick to use. However, I also have a crystalsky ultra. There is a difference in brightness, of course, and on a sunny day that can make the CS the monitor of choice. The additional space on the 7.85 compared to the 5.5 on the smart controller is also a plus in favor of the CS. Either one is a joy to use compared to the ipad monitors I have used in the past.

Reactions: RogerMav
I absolutely love mine, I wish it was offered earlier. Build quality is excellent and exceeded my expectations. Now that I've been spoiled I don't want to fly with anything else. Screen is fantastic, it's very responsive, and ergonomics are much better than the original controller (for me). Not having to fiddle with a (comparatively) dim-screened smartphone and cables has been a pleasure.

I’ve had my SC for only a short time, but I love the ease of use and the brightness of the screen. The ergonomics are very good.
Getting into the air is so much faster and now I don’t have to worry about the iPhone or iPad losing battery power. The SC will run for 2.5 hrs on a full charge.
The ability to record directly to the SD in the SC is a big plus and allows immediate playback on a TV for example with the aid of the HDMI slot.
The onboard SD could also be handy to have the recorded flight if you were unfortunate to lose your Mavic (I know this is a bit of a pessimistic reason for getting a SC!).
The new update allows you to format an SD in the SC. I find this useful, as I use the SC SD as a backup to the Mavic SD.

Had mine for a while now and love it. The screen is borderline size for my old eyes as I was used to the cs7.85, but the kit size and portability now is great.
I got mine with the mav 2 Pro kit, so I’m also flying a new drone so that may also be adding to me loving the new kit.

Similar experience here, I have it know for a month. I always wanted a larger screen and was looking into the 7.85 CrystalSky or some external tablet as my eyes are also tired or old. But once you start using it you get accustomed, I even use a stylus pen I purchased when need to do the waypoints and point of interest. For the rest I manage to handle very well using my large size fingers. But the big pluses are one unit to charge and not looking to two different battery charge level, or extra batteries, no USB cable to connect, no USB cable problems that many people have experienced to cause DJI 4 Go app to crash, the compact size, the high screen brightness, the quick time to get up and fyling and many more advantage that you see describe in the posts. If I will need a larger screen then I can always use the cast function or connect a small monitor or TV to the HDMI port. Yeap, I am happy with the unit.

Reactions: Greenflash and ff22
I was flying a Mavic Air with an iPad 2018, then upgraded a few weeks ago to the Smart Controller and M2P. Bundled, the price felt more palatable. While I have only flown with it once, I do like it.

Pros:
  • Screen is super clear
  • Remote feels solid, almost "proper" compared to the Air remote
  • No worry about phone calls, etc (from when I was using my iPhone before the iPad)
  • I'm sure there is a better way to describe it, but it just feels right for the expenditure involved.
Cons:
  • Non-variable antenna angle (my misconception about this was corrected on page 2)
  • No Litchi (though I had never used it with the Air, I have been wanting to try it)
  • RAW files cannot be downloaded to it
  • The process for getting pics/ vids from the Controller to my iPad is kind of kludgy (Go Share needs redone)
  • Should have come with a lanyard and attachment aid (though the ones people are making are interesting)
This is all based on my one flight, so I'm sure both lists will grow. Overall though, no regrets in getting this.

Last edited:
At $300 bucks I don’t think you would get 1/2 the same quality of product. The screen brightness and the resolution speaks for it’s self..

I agree with this. $300 would be an absurdly low price for the SC if bought as a standalone. I actually think it's a relative bargain at $650 USD when you break it down. Just to buy a smartphone with similar specs and a 5.5" 1080P screen would cost you around $400-500 alone. Now add a 5,000 mAh battery (which is double that of most smartphones), a full Mavic 2 controller system, Occusync 2, fixed antennae, HDMI out, USB-PD charging (only found on premium smartphones), 2.5hr of battery life usable down to -20C (smartphones will die long before that with prolonged use) and 1000 nits of brightness. Seems pretty good to me.

Of course the counter argument is that most people already own a smartphone, which is true, but that doesn't make the Smart Controller any less valuable on its own. It's almost $900 here in Canada and in my personal opinion it is a good deal even at that price. I got mine in a combo with the Mavic 2 Pro so it was a no-brainer at what amounts to $570 CAD ($425 USD).

I let my dad fly my M2P for the first time the other day and he had no problem at all seeing the display even with prescription sunglasses on - I thought that was great.

Reactions: HVYMTL
  • Non-variable antenna angle
The antenna are definitely variable angle - and should always be parallel (which is the part that is locked). If your antenne aren't moving there is likely a problem with your controller. The SC has a much better antenna setup than the normal controller. There is no scenario where you are unable to point the flat parts of the antenna at the drone, which is what you would do for optimal transmission - the nice part is that with the SC, they do not stick out above the controller.

Last edited:
The antenna are definitely variable angle - and should always be parallel (which is the part that is locked). If your antenne aren't moving there is likely a problem with your controller. The SC has a much better antenna setup than the normal controller. There is no scenario where you are unable to point the flat parts of the antenna at the drone, which is what you would do for optimal transmission - the nice part is that with the SC, they do not stick out above the controller.
Well explained. It was odd to see that comment of antennas being not variable.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661