DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What do you guys do to keep your batteries in good shape

kivo

Reactions
Hello,

I have seen a lot of clips on youtube about how important it is to keep your batteries healthy, but what tips do you guys have.

Do you drive your drone down to 15-25% battery then come home and charge it back up right away to around 40% in order to store it better?

I always used to drive my drones batteries down to around 5-10% but now I found out that you shouldnt discharge your batteries that much and spec never drain it all the way. But then I found this video on youtube saying that you SHOULD at least once a year drain your battery all the way in order to "reset" it thus making it have a longer life span.

So whats the must common thing to do, drive your drone to 15-25% battery then come home and charge it back up to around 40% and just keep doing that? And should I drain it for a "reset" once a year?

Do these things:
  • Don't charge your batteries unless you're going to fly (or you're trying to maintain the charge level like this).

• When done flying, charge your batteries back up to the storage level (if you're not going to use them again in the next few days) or let them auto discharge down to the storage level (if the current charge level is above that). The batteries are at the optimal level for storage when the 3rd battery light starts blinking while you're charging them.

• Store your batteries indoors (in normal room temperature).
  • When not using your batteries, maintain the charge level like this.

• Power up your Mavic with each battery installed and set the "Time to Discharge" setting (see the screenshot below) to the number of days you'd like your batteries to wait before starting to auto discharge down to the storage level. You'll need to reset this setting after new firmware is installed on your batteries.

When your batteries are idle (meaning you don't press the battery button), they will start to auto discharge after that number of days has been reached. It could take a few days for them to auto discharge if fully charged. Pressing the battery button at any time during this process will cancel the auto discharge process and make your batteries wait that number of days before attempting to discharge again.

Note: This tip does not apply to the Mavic Air.

DJI-GO-Battery-Time-To-Discharge.jpg

Reactions: UAVNV
Do these things:
  • Don't charge your batteries unless you're going to fly (or you're trying to maintain the charge level like this).

• When done flying, charge your batteries back up to the storage level (if you're not going to use them again in the next few days) or let them auto discharge down to the storage level (if the current charge level is above that). The batteries are at the optimal level for storage when the 3rd battery light starts blinking while you're charging them.

• Store your batteries indoors (in normal room temperature).
  • When not using your batteries, maintain the charge level like this.

• Power up your Mavic with each battery installed and set the "Time to Discharge" setting (see the screenshot below) to the number of days you'd like your batteries to wait before starting to auto discharge down to the storage level. You'll need to reset this setting after new firmware is installed on your batteries.

When your batteries are idle (meaning you don't press the battery button), they will start to auto discharge after that number of days has been reached. It could take a few days for them to auto discharge if fully charged. Pressing the battery button at any time during this process will cancel the auto discharge process and make your batteries wait that number of days before attempting to discharge again.

Note: This tip does not apply to the Mavic Air.

View attachment 40918

Thanks for the battery chart, rly helps!

But regarding the "time to discharge" setting, lets says that I fly my drone down to 20% and get home and charge up to the 3rd battery light blinking. Will the time to discharge setting in my mavic discharge them even more after 2 days or is that setting just a tool to help with discharge if you leave your battery at 100%.

Also, is it okay to drain them bellow 20% when flying?

Thanks for the battery chart, rly helps!

But regarding the "time to discharge" setting, lets says that I fly my drone down to 20% and get home and charge up to the 3rd battery light blinking. Will the time to discharge setting in my mavic discharge them even more after 2 days or is that setting just a tool to help with discharge if you leave your battery at 100%.

Also, is it okay to drain them bellow 20% when flying?
I aim to land at 20% in case adverse conditions make the landing difficult it gives me a little slack to land. Because at 10% it will force Auto land and that can be stressful at times.

Reactions: kivo
I have three batteries I got with my fly more package at early devember 2016. All three have around 120 cycles and are still in very good condition, so I guess I am doing all right.

My goal is to always land at 30% battery capacity, as LiPo batteries don't like getting fully discharged. So, even if something unexpected will happen, my batteries will never go below 25%.
If I am sure to use the battery again within about 2 weeks I will store them in this state.
Otherwise I will charge them until the third LED will turn on, means after disconnecting from the charger it will be blinking.
If storing over a longer period, I will check the state at least once all 2 weeks and ensure that at least two LEDs are solid.
Discharge time is set to 3 days for safety as I never store my batteries fully charged.
Always store them at a cool place between 5°C min and 20°C max.

I have three batteries I got with my fly more package at early devember 2016. All three have around 120 cycles and are still in very good condition, so I guess I am doing all right.

My goal is to always land at 30% battery capacity, as LiPo batteries don't like getting fully discharged. So, even if something unexpected will happen, my batteries will never go below 25%.
If I am sure to use the battery again within about 2 weeks I will store them in this state.
Otherwise I will charge them until the third LED will turn on, means after disconnecting from the charger it will be blinking.
If storing over a longer period, I will check the state at least once all 2 weeks and ensure that at least two LEDs are solid.
Discharge time is set to 3 days for safety as I never store my batteries fully charged.
Always store them at a cool place between 5°C min and 20°C max.

20 degrees C max?? That's only like 68 degrees F. Less than room temperature many places.

20 degrees C max?? That's only like 68 degrees F. Less than room temperature many places.
I usually store them in my basement. If you don't have one, then store them at least at the coolest place of your house.
Low temperature slows down chemical processes in general and therefore slows down natural aging of the batteries, too.

Reactions: Wilbur&Garth
But what does the time to discharge setting do? Does it discharge the batteries down to 0%? I have mine set to 5 days. But I always store my batteries around 50-60% if I dont use them for two 2weeks+ else I store them around 30%

I have my first voltage alarm set at 30% and my second set at 20% and this is when I will land
When I get home I simply leave them at that level until the day I want to fly again then recharge them fully.
I have been using Li-po and Li-on batteries since they came out and so far so good.
YMMV

I have been flying over a year now and I fly until Go 4 recommends (not demands) I return home. Then I fully charge everything after flying so it is ready the next day. Even through the Seattle winter I don't think I went past 10 days without flying and I have not noticed any battery degradation. Of course, being in the PNW means there are few days when it gets too hot or cold so the temps are ideal for the batteries.

I would add to the good previous suggestions to number your batteries so you can rotate through them.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000