DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What do you use for LAANC clearance in CS?

RickMz

Reactions
HI. Before you mention a forum search let me say I have read about using Kittyhawk and/or AirMap but KH only works in CS if you PAY for membership and with AM you have to work around Google Play Services. I tried AM but it keeps shutting down when I try to submit the flight plan (tried several times and rebooted).
My questions: 1- Is there another alternative that will work in CS? 2- Do I need to keep banging my head on the wall to get AM to work? 3- Anybody know if DJI is working on a native app that will allow for LAANC transactions considering how large their USA customer base is?
TIA

HI. Before you mention a forum search let me say I have read about using Kittyhawk and/or AirMap but KH only works in CS if you PAY for membership and with AM you have to work around Google Play Services. I tried AM but it keeps shutting down when I try to submit the flight plan (tried several times and rebooted).
My questions: 1- Is there another alternative that will work in CS? 2- Do I need to keep banging my head on the wall to get AM to work? 3- Anybody know if DJI is working on a native app that will allow for LAANC transactions considering how large their USA customer base is?
TIA
Even if DJI does integrate LAANC into Go, your other problem is that DJI doesn't keep CS up to date with latest version of Go.

Reactions: RickMz
Even if DJI does integrate LAANC into Go, your other problem is that DJI doesn't keep CS up to date with latest version of Go.
True CS may be due an update, at least considering time alone, but my M2P does everything it should running most current software. Maybe it’s mature SW on the CS. Plus it has a great 7+ inch screen too.
Don’t need that DJI integration to fly and get immediate LAANC clearance... I do it routinely as stated in post #2.

That's interesting because I got a LAANC auth from Kittyhawk and I never paid a dime.
Course I did it on my phone which I don't use for flying.

No I checked my app purchases and the download was free and I never paid anything else.
Since you seem to need a quote no doubt it's pricey.
What's interesting is that I entered my DJI account and they know about some of my flights.

I stumbled on this in their website

Download the Kittyhawk app to access LAANC.It's free and easy to use.

Last edited by a moderator:
I also found this:
"DJI, the world’s largest maker of personal and professional drones, recommends that its recreational customers use the Kittyhawk app for LAANC authorizations. “

True CS may be due an update, at least considering time alone, but my M2P does everything it should running most current software. Maybe it’s mature SW on the CS. Plus it has a great 7+ inch screen too.
Don’t need that DJI integration to fly and get immediate LAANC clearance... I do it routinely as stated in post #2.
The thing is, when DJI integrates LAANC, it will be with the Go app, and hopefully override any contractions with DJI geofencing. If CS doesn't get it's integrated Go app updated, you won't get the benefit of LAANC integration.

The thing is, when DJI integrates LAANC, it will be with the Go app, and hopefully override any contractions with DJI geofencing. If CS doesn't get it's integrated Go app updated, you won't get the benefit of LAANC integration.
I personally think it’s Unlikely dji Will integrate it.
I think they might partner with somebody like Kitty Hawk and have some way to pass the authorization to go 4.
It doesn’t seem like DJI is much on software development. The laanc Code is not that simple.

DJI was cleared though to be a LAANC provider and in a pre-release of a Go update last year put in their splash screen that LAANC integration would come soon. Whether they abandoned that idea or just slow in implementing is unknown. DJI has made lots of "coming soon" that took months or longer before it was implemented. I suspect the only reason geofence unlock came for the MM as soon as it did was because of the mass complaints and their published commitment to a release date. Even then they were practically to the hour.

Being they are cleared as a LAANC provider and published in a Go update that it would be integrated, I doubt they will borrow from a third party app, particularly when currently there are two providers/apps. I personally prefer airmap.

DJI was cleared though to be a LAANC provider and in a pre-release of a Go update last year put in their splash screen that LAANC integration would come soon. Whether they abandoned that idea or just slow in implementing is unknown. DJI has made lots of "coming soon" that took months or longer before it was implemented. I suspect the only reason geofence unlock came for the MM as soon as it did was because of the mass complaints and their published commitment to a release date. Even then they were practically to the hour.

Being they are cleared as a LAANC provider and published in a Go update that it would be integrated, I doubt they will borrow from a third party app, particularly when currently there are two providers/apps. I personally prefer airmap.
Your problem is you believe what DJI says. ?
Quite often it’s much less expensive to use existing software rather than write it yourself.
Whoever they pick would probably be ready to jump on it at a low cost in exchange for the PR they get

They may license the underlying code from a third party, but it was clear they wanted to be a LAANC provider through the Go app.
Currently the only two LAANC players are Airmap and Kittyhawk.

I grant you DJI has in the past announced plans that never happened. This shouldn't have been one of them.

Hello this seem as good a thread as any to chime in on this subject. I’ve been trying to contact KittyHawk to see about pricing for a solo pilot enterprise account, wondering if they are having staffing issues because of the virus?
The thing I’d like to know is how much is the cost of an enterprise account for a solo pilot? And does it have to be a monthly membership or do they offer an annual subscription at a lower cost?
cheers!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143