DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

what happens when you do csc with the ma2 at 500 meter and try to restart the motors while in free fall?

so what happens when you do csc with the ma2 at 500 meter and try to restart the motors while in free fall?
I was wondering what will happen. I think a free fall and then when you restart it will it automatically find its balance or will it crash?
anyone ever tried this?
I would expect a recovery. Be sure to film your adventure.

so what happens when you do csc with the ma2 at 500 meter and try to restart the motors while in free fall?
I was wondering what will happen. I think a free fall and then when you restart it will it automatically find its balance or will it crash?
anyone ever tried this?
Yes. I used to do this all the time 7 years ago.

D

Lol what does the height have to do with it? terminal velocity is as fast as it's going to fall regardless I guess unless your under the distance to achieve that speed. More height will let you clench your arse hole for longer when it won't start lol sorry I just thought that was funny thanks for that!

Lol what does the height have to do with it? terminal velocity is as fast as it's going to fall regardless I guess unless your under the distance to achieve that speed. More height will let you clench your arse hole for longer when it won't start lol sorry I just thought that was funny thanks for that!

Obviously there is a minimum height required to complete the full maneuver. For a Mavic it takes around 50 m to achieve terminal velocity and then another 50 m to arrest the fall after motor restart, as is clearly shown in the graph below. That puts the minimum required height at around 100 m with no margin. It's probably not really viable within the legal limit of 120 m AGL.

altitude_to_recover.png

Who in there right mind would even think of trying this, what practical use could this possibly have. Totally idiodic idea..

Reactions: AZDave
I'm surprised that no one with an active DJI Care plan has attempted this. Seems like it would be relatively cheap in that case to make the video that we all want to see, even if the drone ends up crashing to the ground. (unless DJI were to deny coverage due to some provision in the agreement)

To be honest I often have the urge. But it's like saying I want to open the car door on the motorway.

I am waiting for something to cross the drones path to have a legit excuse.

I have done a mid air CSC stop motors and restart with a Phantom 3 but I would not try it with a good condition Mavic of any sort, for fear of any tilt considerations affecting the restart.
Some things to bear in mind.
1) appreciable height may be lost whist waiting for the CSC to actually stop the motors ( I think it was 5 seconds with the P3)
2) speeds and angles of tilt may be significant when the motors do stop.
3) the height lost whilst waiting for restarted motors to halt the fall. (When the P3 restarted it continued to fall, it took me a second or two to think that the motors might restart at idle, full throttle halted the fall in maybe a second or so).
4) with a mavic air 2 you way well have to change the response to the CSC position from the default to the alternative before the CSC will, in fact, stop the motors in mid air at your command.

Whilst learning about the Mavic Mini I was worried by the wording of the manual concerning stopping the motors in mid air and I investigated this by experiment. This culminated in me taking a Mavic Mini up to, I think, 100m and then, with the response to the CSC position set to the default and using the slowest flight mode, CSC'ing the drone.
It descended in a slow helix all the way down until I realeased the control sticks after which it hovered. It had even slowed its descent whilst in the helix as the ground came within range of the vision sensors.
During my experimentation I had also hand held the drone and vigourously wobbled it whilst it was 'flying'.
whilst so flying I stopped the motors with a CSC, continued to wobble it and, whilst wobbling it, tried to restart the motors, sometimes the motors would restart and sometimes they would not. (I probably did this with both the MM and M2Z)

With regards to the P3, from the video I saw from the camera the drone fell in a flat spin but from the logs it did wobble quite a bit so the gimbal did an awfully good job. From memory the P3's terminal velocity was around 16m/s so assummigs Sar104's figures are correct I guess the Mavic has less drag than the P3.

I would love to know if I could rely on either my MM or my M2Z restarting in mid air but am afraid to risk it........to the OP, draw from that what you will!

Last edited by a moderator:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98