DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What is considered low when flying over water?

I can't drive one mile as the crow flies in three directions without hitting a large body of water so that is where I fly. Now every once in a while, I like to fly low over the water and people were trying to warn me away from doing that. They were just trying to keep me from losing my M2P and I appreciate that. But, I also received replies that other people flew low over water all the time but I found out quickly that low is in the eye of the beholder. Most don't say what that altitude is. Like me, when I fly low, I'm talking 2 - 3 feet. At the same time others are talking 5-6 and others 10-12 and so on. I got to thinking that some replies were only applicable if their definition of low was the same as mine. So, I figured I would ask everyone, "What do you consider low when flying over water?" and, if you think adding the height you are flying at in posting a question or a response to a question concerning "low" would be helpful to everyone.

Take care and happy flying!

I find 12 fathoms is a good balance, of course 100 leagues in water has some amazing stuff to video ?

Seriously, it really has more to do with your skill, and tolerance for safety, and AC loss. Sunlight conditions, sea roughness, wind conditions, and water turbidity all play a part in the equation. 1m above a still lake could still endanger a water skier. I personally won't trust all the sensors below 8m any over water surface. Boats, barges, and bridges will really screw up compasses and GPS visibility. Pratice ATTI mode all you can, and maintain VLoS.

Cheers....

Reactions: dwolfe002
I can't drive one mile as the crow flies in three directions without hitting a large body of water so that is where I fly. Now every once in a while, I like to fly low over the water and people were trying to warn me away from doing that. They were just trying to keep me from losing my M2P and I appreciate that. But, I also received replies that other people flew low over water all the time but I found out quickly that low is in the eye of the beholder. Most don't say what that altitude is. Like me, when I fly low, I'm talking 2 - 3 feet. At the same time others are talking 5-6 and others 10-12 and so on. I got to thinking that some replies were only applicable if their definition of low was the same as mine. So, I figured I would ask everyone, "What do you consider low when flying over water?" and, if you think adding the height you are flying at in posting a question or a response to a question concerning "low" would be helpful to everyone.

English please!!!!!!!! hehe!
**** the multipath distortion!

I figured you would have a lot of experience flying over water. The problem I have had is with the sensors off, flying over land, at about 2'. The M2P seems to want do go into a dive and of course there is no way to stop it in time. With my sensors on it always seems to fly very level although the sensors shouldn't be working at 15 to 20 mph. I have no idea why mine does this but I keep my sensors on.

With respect, turn all your sensors off when 'sailin' close to the wind'....it is truly amazing what sensors can provide, but they still are easily fooled by low light, and repeating ground patterns, and countless other obstacles. My M2P is totally confused flying close to green rice paddies at low altitudes w/ bright sunlight. With the sensors off, sport mode, up 5-6 feet (1.5m)...it's a lotta fun.

I'd bet that flying close to some NC tobacco fields might be tricky, but still, a soft crash....b4 harvest :)

one of the problems of flying low over any surface is the fact that a lot of the signal gets diffused by the ground because the signal bounces off the surface there is a technical name for it ,but it escapes me at the moment,i think that flying at the heights you mentioned,would be very risky but if you think it is worth the risk then that is a judgment call you have to make for yourself
The answer is skip or harmonics on these signals.

Reactions: old man mavic
IMHO... knowing that water & electronics aren't good together, besides the price of this 'toy' does not tempt me to even getting near water. I prefer to keep my MP about 30' away from all wet areas. Besides water looks better from a distance...

To answer your original question, I personally will fly my drone about 3 feet above the water surface. I did this to create and get a feel for speed for a clip I was making on m my own. Going by what people are saying here, I guess I've been lucky about 5 times and no disruption. I'd never fly that close on the ground due to public safety unless I'm out in a sparse area with no people.

To answer your original question, I personally will fly my drone about 3 feet above the water surface. I did this to create and get a feel for speed for a clip I was making on m my own. Going by what people are saying here, I guess I've been lucky about 5 times and no disruption. I'd never fly that close on the ground due to public safety unless I'm out in a sparse area with no people.

Ironically, I tend to fly over water in Vietnam because in an urban area, the Saigon River has no recreational boaters. Over land is very densely packed.

All my flights over water are Litchi Missions. Some as long as 7.8 miles over water and islands. Never a low altitude (less that 50 ft) flight. I will let someone else test that.:) Let me know how it turns out.

All my flights over water are Litchi Missions. Some as long as 7.8 miles over water and islands. Never a low altitude (less that 50 ft) flight. I will let someone else test that.:) Let me know how it turns out.

I’m with you brother. :) Those 2min of ‘lost connection’ from the Litchi Lady feel like days. Nothin’ feels better when I hear ‘warning....signal 15%’.

Flown my air pretty close to the water (couple/three feet) over nice calm seas. But that's more because got pretty used to it's flights characteristics and felt good about it (and no real waves to speak of). The pro2 I'm still getting used to how it flies (lot's different to the air to be fair) but once I am sure I'll do the same. I've been pretty lucky most times flown low over water though, as I've been stood higher than the craft, so signal issues are less of a problem, and always pretty close visually.

Also always fly it close enough when low over water that I could go swimming to retrieve it :) If you have care refresh and can get it back, it's not a total loss I suppose :)

Also, shoot 4K and crop it, makes it look closer in playback anyhow ;)75054

Flown my air pretty close to the water (couple/three feet) over nice calm seas. But that's more because got pretty used to it's flights characteristics and felt good about it (and no real waves to speak of). The pro2 I'm still getting used to how it flies (lot's different to the air to be fair) but once I am sure I'll do the same. I've been pretty lucky most times flown low over water though, as I've been stood higher than the craft, so signal issues are less of a problem, and always pretty close visually.

Also always fly it close enough when low over water that I could go swimming to retrieve it :) If you have care refresh and can get it back, it's not a total loss I suppose :)

Also, shoot 4K and crop it, makes it look closer in playback anyhow ;)View attachment 75054

There is always the option to mount pool noodles :)

a77248077f17ccab447df234e2fe29c0.jpg

If you ever fly your Mavic 2 Pro / ZOOM over any type of water you are always worrying about the worst possible situation, crashing your $1,500 drone into the water and loosing your beautiful drone forever.

I have lost a drone in the water before so I feel your pain. Then I went searching the NET for a way to assure that my new drone happened to go into the water, it will certainly be recoverable from the surface of the water.

This is when I found about Mike Fly's Float Kit for the Mavic Pro / Platinum or the Mavic 2 Pro / ZOOM at mikeflys.com/store/Float-Kits-c23877298. These float kits are made by order so contact Mike so he can produce a float kit setup for your Mavic drone today

6ft onlake michigan I'm afraid of the gust of wind that push me in water
Before alt hold or gps catches ups

I own a P3, and was all consensus, to turn off VPS, specially when flying above water due distortions signals.

Anyway, i keep all my flights with that thing off. Fly above the ocean, wish is a good reflector signal to boost long distances :)
On lakes, i did flay above 1 meter, never less and 0 issues.

About MP2:
I only have 3 flights, but starting having bad feelings about sensors: landing is complicated, doesn't want land, cannot hold him with hand...i waste time and energy.
About flying above water:

Do the PRO´s advice also turn off sensors? It seems sometimes they give more trouble then benefices....i have already some experience, and i see sensors as a little help, and nothing more.

About MP2:
I only have 3 flights, but starting having bad feelings about sensors: landing is complicated, doesn't want land, cannot hold him with hand...i waste time and energy.
About flying above water:

Do the PRO´s advice also turn off sensors? It seems sometimes they give more trouble then benefices....i have already some experience, and i see sensors as a little help, and nothing more.

Seems like it is kind of a toss up about turning off the sensors when flying over water. I leave them on and have never had a problem from 2 ft. to 30 ft. altitude.

Seems like it is kind of a toss up about turning off the sensors when flying over water. I leave them on and have never had a problem from 2 ft. to 30 ft. altitude.
Dont know about MP2, but with P3, over water was common sense turn off VPS.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
turtle27mike