DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What is considered low when flying over water?

All depends on where you're flying your sUAS! Where I fly at I like to fly no higher then 30-50ft due to all of the Sailboats around the Tampa Bay area~

Reactions: dwolfe002
I can't drive one mile as the crow flies in three directions without hitting a large body of water so that is where I fly. Now every once in a while, I like to fly low over the water and people were trying to warn me away from doing that. They were just trying to keep me from losing my M2P and I appreciate that. But, I also received replies that other people flew low over water all the time but I found out quickly that low is in the eye of the beholder. Most don't say what that altitude is. Like me, when I fly low, I'm talking 2 - 3 feet. At the same time others are talking 5-6 and others 10-12 and so on. I got to thinking that some replies were only applicable if their definition of low was the same as mine. So, I figured I would ask everyone, "What do you consider low when flying over water?" and, if you think adding the height you are flying at in posting a question or a response to a question concerning "low" would be helpful to everyone.

Take care and happy flying!

If I’m photographing boats, I usually stay slightly above deck height.

For me, it’s more a function of how far mavic is from my eyeballs.

If it’s super close and I my eyes are aligned with the drone, I don’t mind flying within 2-3 feet

As it gets further away, even like 50-100 yards, it’s more difficult to perceive the distance between mavic and the water and I tend to fly higher above the surface.

This is a wise observation and practice!

I can't drive one mile as the crow flies in three directions without hitting a large body of water so that is where I fly. Now every once in a while, I like to fly low over the water and people were trying to warn me away from doing that. They were just trying to keep me from losing my M2P and I appreciate that. But, I also received replies that other people flew low over water all the time but I found out quickly that low is in the eye of the beholder. Most don't say what that altitude is. Like me, when I fly low, I'm talking 2 - 3 feet. At the same time others are talking 5-6 and others 10-12 and so on. I got to thinking that some replies were only applicable if their definition of low was the same as mine. So, I figured I would ask everyone, "What do you consider low when flying over water?" and, if you think adding the height you are flying at in posting a question or a response to a question concerning "low" would be helpful to everyone.

"Too low" is when the drone gets hit by a wave and is lost. "Low" is above that.

I love low flying ... but at times I’ve seen some waves be a little higher than expected and caused me to have some concern.. being about 15-25 ft high gives me the look I wanted without te overall concern , but I would be also careful of being too close at the gauges may not read correctly.

It's best to fly over water at greater than 30' to avoid confusing the vps sensors. I typically fly 50' over water. Another option is to turn vps off.

I avoid anything below nought to minus 1 feet.

I fly "low" over water (the ocean in Hawaii) all of the time. When out deep I stay at 10 feet plus in fear of sneaker waves. Closer in with calm seas and VLOS I will comfortably fly at 3 feet. I ignore the warnings to turn off the ultrasonic sensors and they have saved my bacon more than a few times. HOWEVER, it is important to know that if you are maneuvering a lot (climbing and descending) the actual reported elevation over the water seems to get messed up - usually reporting the Mavic is higher than it really is. When I get back and land, it often reportS the elevation at 3-4 feet as it is touching down. I've only once experienced an automatic landing routine and I just sticked it out of that. Not sure why others can't override that when it happens to them. Perhaps inattention. Enjoy every moment of flying!

All these aircraft tend to lose a bit of vertical control when large pitch or roll excursions are applied, such as stopping suddenly. Maybe the motors don't spool up quite fast enough to compensate for the large attitude. Either way, it is common for them to lose a couple of meters of altitude on a rapid stop - that's put many aircraft into the ground or water.
I've NEVER experienced my Mavic diving on heavy breaking. As in never. If anything, it has a tendency to flare up on heavy breaking - especially in sport mode - which I fly in during transit by default.

I've NEVER experienced my Mavic diving on heavy breaking. As in never. If anything, it has a tendency to flare up on heavy breaking - especially in sport mode - which I fly in during transit by default.

Then you have been lucky. I've looked at numerous logs where the aircraft lose height on braking.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78