DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What is the current firmware out of the box?

kiwi flyer

Reactions
Hi everyone,
I just picked up a MP. I haven't yet connected/activated it yet. Was planning to do it this weekend.
I have installed DJI Go 4 on my iphone (v4.1.20)
Should I just do everything as instructed on connection and avoid doing a firmware update for now?
or am I am I able to select the firmware level to update to? ie. 01.04.0000 ?

thanks!

There's no obligation to do an update but you'll get a red message making it look important.
You can ignore the message indefinitely most likely, but it would be advisable to prevent your app from updating too, or incompatibility may arise eventually.

Updating can sometimes go wrong for a variety of reasons, especially when you are barely familiar with the thing at first. Much better to make a more considered decision after a few weeks.
Mine hasn't been updated since last February. :)

Recently got my hands on a new (Refreshed) Mavic that wasn't a refurb.

Drone was .400, and RC was .550.

If you download DJI Assistant 2 for your desktop, and plug the Mavic in, you will get the option to update to a specific firmware (currently the last 3 versions, AFAIK).

Recently got my hands on a new (Refreshed) Mavic that wasn't a refurb.

Drone was .400, and RC was .550.

If you download DJI Assistant 2 for your desktop, and plug the Mavic in, you will get the option to update to a specific firmware (currently the last 3 versions, AFAIK).

ah, thanks for the info. Don't they suggest the RC and Drone to be on the same revision?

There's no obligation to do an update but you'll get a red message making it look important.
You can ignore the message indefinitely most likely, but it would be advisable to prevent your app from updating too, or incompatibility may arise eventually.

Updating can sometimes go wrong for a variety of reasons, especially when you are barely familiar with the thing at first. Much better to make a more considered decision after a few weeks.
Mine hasn't been updated since last February. :)

thanks for the reply and information. I'm trying to take things slowly, and with as much understanding as I can. I've watched all the DJI tutorials, and currently printing out the DJI Manual for reference. I like to be informed.

ah, thanks for the info. Don't they suggest the RC and Drone to be on the same revision?

Usually, yes. If I remember correctly, .550 on RC and .400 on MP work okay, mostly due to .550 being minor revisions over .400 (it was mostly NFZ changes). I wouldn't recommend trying to fly a .900 MP with a .400 RC.

Most will update theirs to the latest firmware before the first flight (I updated that one, but never flew it myself).

Since you can never be sure just what firmware might be on any MP and RC out of the box I would bite the bullet and go ahead and update the the latest firmware. It's good experience learning how (use DJI Assistant) and anyway if you have any problems and try to contact DJI that will be the first question they ask. Some of the recent flight modes in the GO4 app required firmware updates, in particular the pano camera mode (which is in your current GO4 rev!). You will likely be doing a lot of pre-flight testing of the system and after that initial simple test flying and that should all tell you pretty well whether the complete system is working and doing what it is supposed to. Recently I think I have seen more reported problems with the GO4 app updates than with the Mavic firmware changes.

Reactions: kiwi flyer
So I charged up the batteries on the controller and mavic tonight and installed DJI Assistant 2.
Using assistant I saw that the MP is version 1.3.800 and the RC is 1.3.1000.

Looks like I can upgrade to 1.4.0000 for both the RC and MP which gives the ability to rollback *if* I need to do that at a later stage...

RC:

Controller.png

MP:
Mavic.png

I imagine it depends on the manufacturing or repair date. And yes RC, MP and battery should be on same FW version. Otherwise who knows what could happen. Not worth the risk.

Hi everyone,
I just picked up a MP. I haven't yet connected/activated it yet. Was planning to do it this weekend.
I have installed DJI Go 4 on my iphone (v4.1.20)
Should I just do everything as instructed on connection and avoid doing a firmware update for now?
or am I am I able to select the firmware level to update to? ie. 01.04.0000 ?

thanks!
I Installed DJI Go4 right out of the box a few months ago and have been flying just fine since without any updates.
I would think updating firmware to be a good idea but not necessary for learning and enjoying your MP for awhile at least. Good luck too. My neighbors are being mean about seeing and/or hearing my drone but I guess that's the way it will go for awhile. Have fun, they are awesome.

I Installed DJI Go4 right out of the box a few months ago and have been flying just fine since without any updates.
I would think updating firmware to be a good idea but not necessary for learning and enjoying your MP for awhile at least. Good luck too. My neighbors are being mean about seeing and/or hearing my drone but I guess that's the way it will go for awhile. Have fun, they are awesome.

sorry to hear about your neighbours. :( I have a sports field near by and a big lake that I plan to fly near if I fly locally, otherwise, flying is going to be for my travels..

FWIW I updated my MP and RC from 1.3.xxxx to 1.4.0000 last night using DJI Assistant. I plan to activate it over the weekend if it warms up a bit :)

My MPP came with 01.04.0000 on the aircraft and 01.03.something on the controller. The weather wasn't good enough after Christmas to fly, but I did use the GO 4 simulator, and I was getting warnings about incompatible firmware. I updated the controller to 01.04.0000, and did an update to 01.04.0000 on the aircraft with each battery. I flew it a little on Wednesday, and had no problems except for it switching to ATTI mode unexpectedly one time. As I was carefully bringing it back, it went back to GPS, and it didn't happen again. I am running GO 4.1.15 on an Android "Wunderphone."
I am reluctant to go to the very latest firmware if it can't be downgraded easily. As a beginner, I just want to get some experience flying with something that's stable.
I have to send this Mavic back to Amazon because of camera problems. The replacement is supposed to get here mid-week, and I plan to do the same firmware routine on it. What device are you running GO 4 on?
Btw, as a newbie, I would really appreciate if posters would use complete numbers when writing about software and firmware versions, at least on first reference. I see ".800" and ".900" a lot on this forum. What are those?

My MPP came with 01.04.0000 on the aircraft and 01.03.something on the controller. The weather wasn't good enough after Christmas to fly, but I did use the GO 4 simulator, and I was getting warnings about incompatible firmware. I updated the controller to 01.04.0000, and did an update to 01.04.0000 on the aircraft with each battery. I flew it a little on Wednesday, and had no problems except for it switching to ATTI mode unexpectedly one time. As I was carefully bringing it back, it went back to GPS, and it didn't happen again. I am running GO 4.1.15 on an Android "Wunderphone."
I am reluctant to go to the very latest firmware if it can't be downgraded easily. As a beginner, I just want to get some experience flying with something that's stable.
I have to send this Mavic back to Amazon because of camera problems. The replacement is supposed to get here mid-week, and I plan to do the same firmware routine on it. What device are you running GO 4 on?
Btw, as a newbie, I would really appreciate if posters would use complete numbers when writing about software and firmware versions, at least on first reference. I see ".800" and ".900" a lot on this forum. What are those?

Hey, thanks for the reply, I'm planning to try and fly tomorrow. I'll be using an iPhone 8 (which is not my main phone).

Interesting to hear about the switch to ATTI and back. Do you know how many GPS you had locked in at the start? I'm going to try the simulator maybe later today..

I think .800 refers to 1.3.800 and 1.3.900 ??? I am guessing.. but yes, the way its referenced like that is confusing.

Hey, thanks for the reply, I'm planning to try and fly tomorrow. I'll be using an iPhone 8 (which is not my main phone).

Interesting to hear about the switch to ATTI and back. Do you know how many GPS you had locked in at the start? I'm going to try the simulator maybe later today..

I think .800 refers to 1.3.800 and 1.3.900 ??? I am guessing.. but yes, the way its referenced like that is confusing.
Thanks, I'll be looking forward to your report.
I didn't notice the number of locked sats shown by GO 4, but I do know that UAV Forecast often shows less than 12 locked for about an hour out of the day at my location. I know that was the case on Wednesday, but I'm not sure whether that hour coincided with the time I was flying.
Yes, I suspected that by .900, people meant 01.03.0900, but wouldn't shorthand for that be .0900? I sure wouldn't want these guys writing CNC programs for my machine tools!

Thanks, I'll be looking forward to your report.
I didn't notice the number of locked sats shown by GO 4, but I do know that UAV Forecast often shows less than 12 locked for about an hour out of the day at my location. I know that was the case on Wednesday, but I'm not sure whether that hour coincided with the time I was flying.
Yes, I suspected that by .900, people meant 01.03.0900, but wouldn't shorthand for that be .0900? I sure wouldn't want these guys writing CNC programs for my machine tools!

Hi, just to let you know I braved the cold yesterday (it "warmed up" to -10c ;-) ) and flew the MP outside my house in the backyard. It was in tight space as I had the house, a shed, a clothes line and trees to avoid. I took off and kept it at that hight and did one loop around my yard in Beginner mode. It actually detected me when heading towards me and stopped.
I'll post more later on the main forum about my experiences, but I was really impressed given the conditions (wind was gusting thats why didnt fly on the field next door and it was somewhat sheltered where I was. Oh yeah, need to get used to the mode 2 controls. Years of playing XBOX have given a habit of forward/back on the LEFT stick!

Reactions: RolandW
Since you can never be sure just what firmware might be on any MP and RC out of the box I would bite the bullet and go ahead and update the the latest firmware. It's good experience learning how (use DJI Assistant) and anyway if you have any problems and try to contact DJI that will be the first question they ask. Some of the recent flight modes in the GO4 app required firmware updates, in particular the pano camera mode (which is in your current GO4 rev!). You will likely be doing a lot of pre-flight testing of the system and after that initial simple test flying and that should all tell you pretty well whether the complete system is working and doing what it is supposed to. Recently I think I have seen more reported problems with the GO4 app updates than with the Mavic firmware changes.

Dang.. I just noticed Pano mode wasn't showing up in my GO4 app, so I guess if I want Pano (which I kinda do as I'm going travelling and filming/photographing landscapes) then I will need to update to 1.04.0100 by the looks of it.. ?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AviewFromAbove_