DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What is the real world distances for a Min4 pro

DroneBill

Reactions
what is the max distance for suburban flying and wilderness flying?
plus is this drone under the weight limit for the FAA regulations ?
does the mini4 pro have geo fencing, or no fly zones?

Thank you Thumbswayup

Well you not going to make it to the the Milky Way .
Your looking at in a Residential Area over trees and building about 5 to 7000 ft

With a Very Clear line of sight say over water, 20,000 or more
Your looking at the FAA watching very closely any Flights you do over 5000 ft

So you have to be sure your long distance flight is worth the FAA Fines so be very careful as around this Planet long distance flights are very taboo in the industry.

My advice is keep your flights no more than 3000 ft , others will tell you 400 ft its a choice were all lucky to have untill the many break all the rules and than will loose that privlidge.

I used to be an advocate for Beyond VLOS until I lost a few drones to to Seagulls taking me down. Thankfully I only fly over water , so be cautious as I am no longer a suporter of this.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water.

@DroneBill ,simple answer (how long is a piece of string)

Reactions: NoBozos
Realistically... in a residential neighborhood, with 2 storey houses & some trees here & there, up on 400ft... you will reach out to about 3300ft. After that the free transmission LOS will be blocked by something.

Reading material. Google is your friend!

Reactions: MS Coast
The mini 4 pro is capable of far greater distances than most jurisdictions permit, so it should have all the range anyone reasonably needs in a recreational drone.

In Canada, sub-250g drones are not restricted by their range, since there is the overall requirement not to be reckless in the use of a micro-drone:
(see the below hyperlink):

Pilots of micro-drone don’t need to register their drones or get a drone pilot certificate to fly them. Pilots of micro-drones are not bound by the same requirements as other drones. However, you must not operate your drone in a reckless or negligent manner to endanger or be likely to endanger aviation safety or the safety of anyone

The exact wording of the CAR regulation is:

Division II — General Prohibition​

Reckless or Negligent Operation​

900.06 No person shall operate a remotely piloted aircraft system in such a reckless or negligent manner as to endanger or be likely to endanger aviation safety or the safety of any person.

If you did a range test over open water and fly beyond visual line of sight, it becomes a question of fact as to whether or not the flight triggers this provision of law.

I would not be concerned if my flight was in a remote area.

I would be very concerned if my flight was in a populated area.

There are zones of black and white, and there are grey zones. Good judgment should be your guide.

what is the max distance for suburban flying and wilderness flying?
Well Bill, you really need to do some real researching yourself, you wrote of wearing the a "pre-electronic calculator" on your belt, a slide rule, so I would have assumed that you would have done some deep-dive research, rather than just casting questions out onto the universe.

So to start you off, here is a link to the User Manual for the Mini 4 Pro

Next, remember, YouTube is your friend, a friend that will tell you all you want to know and it will also "pull your leg" with Bull-Chips with outrageous stores, some true, most not…

Next, since you are not being very open about your location "Planet Earth", you make it difficult to answer your questions. DJI advertises the maximum range of the DJI Mini 4 Pro drone at approximately 18 kilometers (11.18 miles). And that is under ideal conditions, but what are Ideal condition, not urban (too many buildings and transmissions), not suburban (too many trees, houses, utility poles, transmission, etc…), and certainly not most rural (if there is one tree, it will interfere and weaken the signal…), and if you choose to go to the A "wilderness" (the trees are full of water and it does not take many trees to weaken the signal and shorten the range…)

If you really want to find the max range, you need a raft and travel o "Point Nemo" the most remote location on Earth (you know where Earth is, right? L o L . . . ). Nemo is also known as the Oceanic Pole of Inaccessibility, since it is located in the Pacific Ocean, 2,688 kilometers or 1,450 nautical miles from any land…

However, you only need to watch for space debris falling on your head as it is the target for most decommissioned satellites to be dumped to minimize the possibility of striking anything… especially someone in a rubber raft with a drone…

At least, there are no geo fences for thousands of miles of Nemo…

Finally, the Mini 4 weighs less than 250-grams with the small battery and is not required to be registered with the FAA if you are flying Recreationally.

Finally, the Mini 4 weighs less than 250-grams with the small battery and is not required to be registered with the FAA if you are flying Recreationally.

However, just to be sure Bill fully understands what this means, it is exempt from just 2 regulations: Registration, and broadcasting RID.

All aircraft, regardless of weight, must comply with all the rest of the FARs, including the ones Bill is probably most interested in, maintaining VLOS, and staying below 400ft AGL.

Well Bill, you really need to do some real researching yourself, you wrote of wearing the a "pre-electronic calculator" on your belt, a slide rule, so I would have assumed that you would have done some deep-dive research, rather than just casting questions out onto the universe.

Next, remember, YouTube is your friend, a friend that will tell you all you want to know and it will also "pull your leg" with Bull-Chips with outrageous stores, some true, most not…

Next, since you are not being very open about your location "Planet Earth", you make it difficult to answer your questions. DJI advertises the maximum range of the DJI Mini 4 Pro drone at approximately 18 kilometers (11.18 miles). And that is under ideal conditions, but what are Ideal condition, not urban (too many buildings and transmissions), not suburban (too many trees, houses, utility poles, transmission, etc…), and certainly not most rural (if there is one tree, it will interfere and weaken the signal…), and if you choose to go to the A "wilderness" (the trees are full of water and it does not take many trees to weaken the signal and shorten the range…)

If you really want to find the max range, you need a raft and travel o "Point Nemo" the most remote location on Earth (you know where Earth is, right? L o L . . . ). Nemo is also known as the Oceanic Pole of Inaccessibility, since it is located in the Pacific Ocean, 2,688 kilometers or 1,450 nautical miles from any land…

However, you only need to watch for space debris falling on your head as it is the target for most decommissioned satellites to be dumped to minimize the possibility of striking anything… especially someone in a rubber raft with a drone…

thanks for the info, but in a remote location like u state would there be good satellite coverage🤔

Reactions: LoudThunder

I live in Maryland inside a gigantic draconian no fly zone for the WH. I can't even fly the drone i have in my own yard. I have to drive at least 10 miles just to fly my drone.

• Wow
Well you not going to make it to the the Milky Way .
Your looking at in a Residential Area over trees and building about 5 to 7000 ft

With a Very Clear line of sight say over water, 20,000 or more
Your looking at the FAA watching very closely any Flights you do over 5000 ft

So you have to be sure your long distance flight is worth the FAA Fines so be very careful as around this Planet long distance flights are very taboo in the industry.

My advice is keep your flights no more than 3000 ft , others will tell you 400 ft its a choice were all lucky to have untill the many break all the rules and than will loose that privlidge.

I used to be an advocate for Beyond VLOS until I lost a few drones to to Seagulls taking me down. Thankfully I only fly over water , so be cautious as I am no longer a suporter of this.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water.
how is the FAA watching? does the mini4 pro have remote ID

• Wow
Multiple ways they could watch, if it can transmit video 20km anyone within 20km could be monitoring it, likely much farther away using a yagi antenna

I thought the remote ID was enabled in the previous update

The Mini 4 does have RID, but that is not what they are watching...

The drone transmits its flight telemetry and video. Your controller might only detect it for a 10-miles, but the "authorities" are using much more sensitive equipment and they can detect it out to a maximum of about 100-miles, but in your area, perhaps only 50-miles or so…

Where I live, I am in a Zero Altitude Quadrant of a Class D Airspace for an Air Force Base and I know the folks in the ATC and they know when I'm flying. Recreational Pilots cannot fly here, I can because I have my Part 107 License and when I might take off without first coordinating with them they might call me and ask if I forgot to call and coordinate with them…

They like to do that as I am a 30-year Air Force Vet and they like pulling the leg of the old Chief…

They will not tell me, but they are using a system (but more powerful…) like AeroScope…

This is my suggestion, contact the FAA and tell them you are contemplating getting your Part 107 license and when you do, will you even be able to fly commercially to perform Roof Inspection, Real Estate photography, construction surveys, etc…

I have contacted the numerous times, both in email and on the phone and they all seem to be drone pilots too and understand, and are very willing to help… Here is their info:

FAA UAS Support Center
[email protected]
844-359-6982

The FAA is watching via RID and other methods that are probably active in your area (your yard and the 10 mile away area). AeroScope is absolutely one method and the DOD etc probably have their own versions active in your area.

AeroScope -

Overview​

AeroScope is a comprehensive drone detection platform that rapidly identifies UAV communication links, gathering information such as flight status, paths, and other information in real-time. This monitoring data stream helps users make an informed response as soon as possible.

Designed for continuous protection of large-scale sites, the AeroScope stationary unit supports customization and construction according to the specific site and user demands to completely cover the surrounding airspace. Under ideal conditions, the system can monitor a range of up to 50 km and obtain key information from drones in as fast as 2 seconds. Aeroscope - DJI

ALSO your flight data is recorded in your system as well. If there were to be an incident then you have logged the details of your flight to make it pretty simple to show you're in the wrong.

Have you taken your >>>>>TRUST<<<<< yet? It's a legal requirement now and not just a strong suggestion.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seacorope