DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What is your mavic doing when connection is lost?

jormavic

Reactions
Hi guys,

I was flying in Lisbon and there was too much wind so I decide to go to the other side of the river! 3km from my home location! When I was there I was trying to land, but 100 meters before landing my controller and phone disconnected the drone and I couldnt find the drone back at the place the app saying it was there?

My Questions als here is! If your drone is on a save place, 100meter from the ground (on the last video it looks like 10meter)! What will it do if everything is disconnected?

Any help from your side guys? $1100 is a lot for me :(

Thanks!!!!!

Reactions: SteveM
Oke, thanks, but I was trying to land it till 20 meters en the signal get lost. After that is is going home (too windy, so basically hit the water?) :(

Unless you changed it yourself to "landing" it tries to return home.
Which it won't have been able to do since you flew out to 3km using 50% battery with a 25km/h tailwind, once it's headwind the remaining 50% are only enough to do about 1.6km.

It's likely in the water in the lower third of the river, unless there was even more wind and it didn't reach the water and is somewhere on the land in straight line between loss point and home.

Clipboard02.png

Reactions: jormavic
If it is set to return to home it will do so when signal is lost. It does not care about where it is before doing so.
It can't guess what's best. You have to tell it depending on your situation.

Reactions: Ozman
Mavic pro asked me to RTH and I clicked on the "X" and try to land is that enough?

No. This was "smart RTH" that triggers RTH when it thinks battery just allows you to get back home (not taking wind into account, so here it would have failed, and canceling is the right thing to do).

But action on signal loss is independent, and unless it was set to something other than RTH prior to the signal loss then it will RTH.

Let me ask something. Home location is always the "H "sign on map ?
If yes, that's mean that if you don't see H sigh to your map you must set it again manually.
Or you must wait to set it automatically via GPS signal.

Last edited:
Free drones if you are on a lookout!

Anyway, feel so had about it! Can't have control feels horrible with sunset and night coming! It was open water and try to land on the other side! This looks like a error from dji right?

So it's normal that you can't control it in 3km?

3km is a lot, yes. It may not be normal, it just depends on each situation. Sometimes you can go much more, sometimes much less. You need to pay attention to signal strength and any obstacles in the way that may cause it to change quickly.

This one seems to be on you. You sent it a long ways away from you without enough battery power to return. You gambled that you could control it and set it down at a distance, but lost connection or didn't do it correctly, or both. The Mavic is a smart drone but it's not THAT smart. You need to still be in charge and it does not seem that you were. I am going to guess that you do not have much experience with this drone or much practice.

It's an unfortunate situation but you were the one that had multiple errors here. The Mavic (probably) did exactly what it was supposed to do, and you were responsible for knowing what that was.

Reactions: EsiMavic
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada