DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What Kind Of "Tracking Device" Are Ya'll Using???

MadDogDan

Reactions
I have not had a need for a tracking device yet but have seen quite a few posts of guys Mavic's dropping from the sky from dead batteries and not being able to retrieve them due to insufficient data from the point they dropped from the sky.

I have seen quite a few tracking devices but still have not decided on one yet. I am not too keen on ones that rely on cell signals or even GPS as that signal may be weak. The Marco Polo looks interesting because it used an independent homing beacon. It is pricy at $250 but not loosing my MP is worth more to me. Which devices do ya'll have experience with?

Reactions: GooterFly68
Last edited:
The Marco Polo is a great choice then. You can save a few bucks if you get it here on Amazon[/

Seems like it would've been more productive to usher the OP to the dozen threads that already started this way, and close this one down.But just so it doesn't seem like trolling here, I suggest the OP also use the Marco Polo because of the requirements he posted. Being an ex flytrex junkie, that enjoys the live app, I personally would go for the RF v-16 so you can pull up the app for your lost a/c.

When a new post like this comes up that seems so overcovered, i'm surprised the moderators even play along. Seems like padding to me.

5. Participants may not post or bump threads to pad post counts. Bumping is posting useless information, posting one-liners or any other action to deliberately keep a thread hot.

Disagree with the idea of direction OP to old threads. As new drone pilot I find that the tech changes so quickly that old threads quickly loose their utility. The value of this forum is to benefit from the experience of others including both those with advanced experience and those who are on a comparable level on the learning curve to one’s self.

Looking forward to more posts

Disagree with the idea of direction OP to old threads. As new drone pilot I find that the tech changes so quickly that old threads quickly loose their utility. The value of this forum is to benefit from the experience of others including both those with advanced experience and those who are on a comparable level on the learning curve to one’s self.

You've been here a month, and posted twice including this message. i hardly think that this amount of activity validates your observations. If you had bothered to look into it, you'd find that in the threads on tracking devices, there are many valid posts comparing all trackers by multiple experienced members -- all within the last couple weeks.

But you're right of course. What we need is more threads reiterating the exact same observations because you can't be bothered to look.

I have not had a need for a tracking device yet but have seen quite a few posts of guys Mavic's dropping from the sky from dead batteries and not being able to retrieve them due to insufficient data from the point they dropped from the sky.

I have seen quite a few tracking devices but still have not decided on one yet. I am not too keen on ones that rely on cell signals or even GPS as that signal may be weak. The Marco Polo looks interesting because it used an independent homing beacon. It is pricy at $250 but not loosing my MP is worth more to me. Which devices do ya'll have experience with?

@msinger is right... the MarcoPolo sounds like the right set-up for you. One of the more experienced members here -- @lisadoc uses them on multiple drones... track down her comments via search.

I own the Marco Polo tracker too. It's certainly more expensive than other trackers up front, but there is no monthly fee.

Reactions: jerryflah and pixl
You've been here a month, and posted twice including this message. i hardly think that this amount of activity validates your observations. If you had bothered to look into it, you'd find that in the threads on tracking devices, there are many valid posts comparing all trackers by multiple experienced members -- all within the last couple weeks.

But you're right of course. What we need is more threads reiterating the exact same observations because you can't be bothered to look.

pixl,

You have no obligation to read nor respond to threads you find redundant.

Reactions: GooterFly68

pixl,

You have no obligation to read nor respond to threads you find redundant.

Yes feel free to post your opinion on here anytime.
And feel free to ignore bullies who are trying to stop you.
Some people's kids huh?

It's the same on every forum, one would think if such duplicate threads make you do just maybe you shouldn't click on the obvious title that might trigger you?

There is a lower cost, less common version of the Marco Polo system. Order yourself a t-Beacon Amber from this RC guy in Russia and a basic Baofeng dual band FM receiver and for ~$100-120 you can get something as good as the Marco Polo, albeit with some added DIY requirements. If you are a tinkerer type, it’s a nice option. Mine works great. No Ham operators license required

It's the same on every forum, one would think if such duplicate threads make you do just maybe you shouldn't click on the obvious title that might trigger you?
Actually, I only clicked on it in order to try to be helpful by showing the OP that the answers are right there with a simple search.

I have used a GPS tracker for several years now and have the mount on more that one of my quad copters. This was not an option as it was required by my wife after losing my Discovery Pro in the Superstition Mountains. Since evolving through two Phantoms, and setting on my Mavic, one would say the DJI Go app is all I need to retrieve a lost drone, I still NEVER fly with out this device. Originally a product called Tagg (made to mount on a dog collar) for lost dogs, now maintained by a company called Whistle. There is a nominal annual fee, but well worth it to me. I’ve had to use it a couple times over the years and simply requires me to open the app on my iPhone and I am led to it within a couple feet.
c6cc2dc26997b484dfc2ff6428a730b0.jpg

Last edited:
I use a tracker called loc8tor. Like most small trackers, its supposed to be used on pets. No subscription necessary, but quite pricey at $100 on Amazon.
It also has a fairly small range of about 150feet I think, but the go4 app can get you within a 100ft of your lost drone anyway, whilst this (also directional) tracker will pinpoint its location for you.

I designed and printed a holder for the tracker in the shape of the popular Mavic legs... So attaching and detaching the tracker is as simple as attaching/detaching the leg extensions.

6f8fbbf6c7cd683ddf1360208f886002.jpg

56e642478f45eaa8f06699419051e239.jpg
2319dc51a592bc8bbfaf0bf7d9b66bf2.jpg

Lol... I knew I should've used a neutral color like Grey... But this will make it easier to spot within shrubs

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LMcVetty