DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What percentage of flights do you call an airport?

What percentage of your flights do you call the airport tower?

• I've never called the tower

Votes: 40 63.5%
  • I've called about 1 - 25% of my flights

Votes: 10 15.9%
  • I've called about 26 - 50% of my flights

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • I've called about 51 - 75% of my flights

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • I've called about 76 - 100% of my flights

Votes: 9 14.3%

• Total voters
This is so confusing for people I COULD BE MISTAKEN, but I seem to remember this explained exactly opposite of what you are saying. I think it was @sar104 that explained it in the parade thread. Lets see if he will clarify for us?
You know, you dont have to see those subtle reminders. You can turn them completely off in the app.

14 CFR Part 101 subpart E codifies Public Law 112-95, Section 336, and it's crafted almost entirely as an exemption from 14 CFR Part 107:

§107.1 Applicability.
(a) Except as provided in paragraph (b) of this section, this part applies to the registration, airman certification, and operation of civil small unmanned aircraft systems within the United States.​
(b) This part does not apply to the following:​
(1) Air carrier operations;​
(2) Any aircraft subject to the provisions of part 101 of this chapter; or​
(3) Any operation that a remote pilot in command elects to conduct pursuant to an exemption issued under section 333 of Public Law 112-95, unless otherwise specified in the exemption.​

§101.41 Applicability.
This subpart prescribes rules governing the operation of a model aircraft (or an aircraft being developed as a model aircraft) that meets all of the following conditions as set forth in section 336 of Public Law 112-95:​
(a) The aircraft is flown strictly for hobby or recreational use;​
(b) The aircraft is operated in accordance with a community-based set of safety guidelines and within the programming of a nationwide community-based organization;​
(c) The aircraft is limited to not more than 55 pounds unless otherwise certified through a design, construction, inspection, flight test, and operational safety program administered by a community-based organization;​
(d) The aircraft is operated in a manner that does not interfere with and gives way to any manned aircraft; and​
(e) When flown within 5 miles of an airport, the operator of the aircraft provides the airport operator and the airport air traffic control tower (when an air traffic facility is located at the airport) with prior notice of the operation.​

In other words, to avoid having to fly under Part 107 you can, instead, satisfy 101.41. And 101.41 (e) specifies the reporting requirements to local airports. As with the other provisions of 101.41, if you don't follow them you lose the exemption and fall under the Part 107 requirements, which a non-Part 107 pilot will immediately breach by not being certified.

A Part 107-certified pilot, however, doesn't have to satisfy 101.41 (e) and there is no equivalent requirement in Part 107 - everything there is simply based on class of airspace with other limitations.

I fully understand and appreciate the reasoning for calling the tower. But I do think, at least in my case, I am completely wasting their time. I am so happy I started this poll! I always thought you HAD to call if flying within five miles of the tower.
I can appreciate your thought process, but that's their job, to control traffic. So if they feel that the person calling them to inform them that they are flying a drone in the airspace that they're "controlling" is a waste of time, perhaps they need another job.

It's not a credit card number, you have to apply to unlock the respective NFZ locations and enter your unlock authorization into the go app.

Googled it, it states must have a DJI Account verified by entering a Debit/ Credit Card # or a phone # to receive a authorization code to unlock Geo Fencing. States go into "Unlock my History" in the app and go to create account. There may be other ways, just what I found doing a quick search.

336 states
  • Notify the airport and air traffic control tower prior to flying within 5 miles of an airport

Nothing confusing about that.
You made your point. BUT. Mine is you wouldn’t know that unless you decided on your own to look it up. Nothing is mentioned when you purchase a drone about the FAA, Then, only IF you come to a forum like this and discover that you must be registered would you know that . And finally, when you register with the FAA. There is NO required reading, no testing, not so much as even a “I have read the terms...” checkbox All that is required for 336 is $5 and your information.
So, how could the FAA expect to enforce penalties on anyone that doesn’t call the tower?

Note that I live just outside of the 5mile ring of a small airport that has very little traffic. Maybe 1 or 2 planes a day. I NEVER fly higher than the 500’ that they are required to be above me at my location, or closer than I am now to the facility. I realize there are a lot of users close to bigger airports that think they have to fly there so I am just saying if you are low enough and in no way a hazard to air traffic, you are wasting their time calling them. If you think your drone needs to be “In The pattern” at 5-600’ + then of course call the tower. But who would think they needed to do that? That’s just stupid!

You made your point. BUT. Mine is you wouldn’t know that unless you decided on your own to look it up. Nothing is mentioned when you purchase a drone about the FAA, Then, only IF you come to a forum like this and discover that you must be registered would you know that . And finally, when you register with the FAA. There is NO required reading, no testing, not so much as even a “I have read the terms...” checkbox All that is required for 336 is $5 and your information.
So, how could the FAA expect to enforce penalties on anyone that doesn’t call the tower?

Note that I live just outside of the 5mile ring of a small airport that has very little traffic. Maybe 1 or 2 planes a day. I NEVER fly higher than the 500’ that they are required to be above me at my location, or closer than I am now to the facility. I realize there are a lot of users close to bigger airports that think they have to fly there so I am just saying if you are low enough and in no way a hazard to air traffic, you are wasting their time calling them. If you think your drone needs to be “In The pattern” at 5-600’ + then of course call the tower. But who would think they needed to do that? That’s just stupid!

To be fair - the 336 requirements are clearly listed on the FAA 336 registration page.

I understand the point you're making. There is a certain amount of validity to it. DJI could do more in their packaging to inform us of the steps we need to take to conform to the laws, but the information is there. After reading your response I went back into my documents that came with the Mavic Air.

The bottom of page 9 of the "Quick Start Guide" (which admittedly i barely glanced at before i flew the first time) it encourages readers to read the "Disclaimer and Safety Guideline" booklet (which I never oped up until this morning). On page 17 of the "Disclaimer" booklet paragraph 1 under NOTICE, it does direct the reader to knowbeforeyoufly.org. Which in turn leads you to all the regulations surrounding flying the drone legally.

But, lets face it, who is going to go through that much effort after you've spent this much money on a new toy. I didn't. The information is still there though and available. They did "inform you", although not nearly good enough.

To be fair - the 336 requirements are clearly listed on the FAA 336 registration page.
I know that it is available. But. If you go to the site. And go straight to the register button it makes you create an account then let’s you register. Nowhere did it say read this first. Nowhere did it ask to agree to conditions. I think that might be important if they expect you to do certain things like call airports. (When I registered). It may be different now, but without creating another account I can not see if it is different now. Bottom line is IMO. The FAA should fix that if they expect compliance.

Reactions: Mavic Airick
I know that it is available. But. If you go to the site. And go straight to the register button it makes you create an account then let’s you register. Nowhere did it say read this first. Nowhere did it ask to agree to conditions. I think that might be important if they expect you to do certain things like call airports. (When I registered). It may be different now, but without creating another account I can not see if it is different now. Bottom line is IMO. The FAA should fix that if they expect compliance.
I agree. Especially with the amount of drones flying off the shelves.

I have never had a fixed wing RC plane. Are the requirements the same for those? The tower calling and such?

It doesn't require you to acknowledge that you have read them, that's true. But who reads anything before clicking those buttons anyway? It's also worth remembering that registering does not grant permission to fly under 336 - it is simply one required step, and the registration page clearly states that. In other words you can quite legally register and not subsequently follow the 336 requirements - you just aren't covered by 336 if you do that.

DJI has done more to aid in explaining the requirements - question 3 in the DJI Knowledge Quiz asks what the requirements are when flying within 5 miles of an airport.

I have never seen the quiz. Read about it here though.
I think the system is bad. The only reason they want you to call a tower is IF a pilot says they had a visual of a drone in their path, they want someone to blame without doing any recon work.
If no one complains to the FAA about how you are flying, and you are not flying stupid. There would be no use for registering In The first place.

I have never seen the quiz. Read about it here though.
I think the system is bad. The only reason they want you to call a tower is IF a pilot says they had a visual of a drone in their path, they want someone to blame without doing any recon work.
If no one complains to the FAA about how you are flying, and you are not flying stupid. There would be no use for registering In The first place.

How did you get away with not taking the quiz? Old software?

The only reason they want you to call a tower is IF a pilot says they had a visual of a drone in their path, they want someone to blame without doing any recon work.

The reason is much simpler than that - there is no reason to assume that recreational pilots have a clue about airport traffic patterns and so they want to make sure that they call the airport, hopefully get good advice if they were planning to fly somewhere that might interfere with traffic, and to be advised not to fly if their plans continue to pose a risk to traffic.

I voted assuming the poll meant "what percentage of flights (of the ones you're required to) do you call?" If it's "what percentage of all flights do you call", that would probably change the poll drastically, since many of my flights are outside of the 5 mile airport radius.

How did you get away with not taking the quiz? Old software?
No, I keep everything updated to the latest releases. I kept anticipating seeing it but never did. I have seen people copy its questions here so I have a good idea what it is.

I voted assuming the poll meant "what percentage of flights (of the ones you're required to) do you call?" If it's "what percentage of all flights do you call", that would probably change the poll drastically, since many of my flights are outside of the 5 mile airport radius.

That’s just it. Not much reason to fly within the area of an airport unless it’s in your back yard. Or you feel the need to look important. Even then, there should be an “if over this altitude” clause. To reduce calls.

I registered 2 hours ago. I believe one of the checkboxes I checked was acknowledgement of the rules. It was very casual.

Paul
That is a step in the right direction then, it was not that way when I registered.

That’s just it. Not much reason to fly within the area of an airport unless it’s in your back yard. Or you feel the need to look important. Even then, there should be an “if over this altitude” clause. To reduce calls.

Depending on the area, there can be plenty of reason to fly within the area of an airport. Sometimes, most of the scenic cityscape shots are within 5 miles of an airport. There's also a lot of nice picturesque parks in my city relatively close to an airport.

I just got back from flying at a park down the road from me. I called the tower to inform them that i'd be flying south of the airport because I am within the 5 miles. He asked me at what altitude. I informed him that i wouldn't go more than 200 feet (as it was fairly windy). While flying, two helicopters took off from the airport flying south probably brushing the parks boundary. When i was finished flying, i again called to let the tower know I was done. I asked him what altitude the helicopters were flying at, he said between 400-500 feet. I'm not trying to stir up any argument, simply making the point that there is a reason why we are asked to call. Had I informed him earlier that I would be flying higher, like to 400' he might have routed the helicopters higher, or along a different route.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
User711