DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What video editing software you guys using?

I am struggling through I-mac's free editor- "I-Movie"- I find it somewhat
cumbersome; as I have found with most of the free ones. I have not yet tried any of the pro(cash) systems. As I am after is a little trimming, simple transitions and some easy sound editing, maybe a key or two.
I am looking forward to your responses.

I'd suggest two things, with Apple product usually people overthink the functionality. In most cases just do what you think would be most natural and that's probably how it works. And secondly, just practice.

Trim is just like most NLE programs, select the clip and pull one of the ends in. There is a Transitions tab, just drag and drop them where you want them (ProTip: Use them SPARINGLY!). I'm not sure what you mean by sound editing or key (key frame? chromakey?).

Reactions: drrjv
So I spent a lot of time downloading, evaluating a handful of video editing softwares. Most of them are behemoths and absolutely suck the life out of your machine if it is anything less than a high end setup. Mine is a 5th gen i7 with 16GB RAM and a 2GB GFX card, and the thing absolutely dies editing 4K video.
Anyhoo, I used Adobe Lightroom CC (for color grading/LUTs loading) in combination with Movavi Video editor for trimming, clipping, joining and transitioning of videos.

Took a better part of the day for editing and rendering, but I think results for a novice first timer are good.

What programs are you folks using, which is less cumbersome and does not burn a big hole in your pocket?

So I spent a lot of time downloading, evaluating a handful of video editing softwares. Most of them are behemoths and absolutely suck the life out of your machine if it is anything less than a high end setup. Mine is a 5th gen i7 with 16GB RAM and a 2GB GFX card, and the thing absolutely dies editing 4K video.
Anyhoo, I used Adobe Lightroom CC (for color grading/LUTs loading) in combination with Movavi Video editor for trimming, clipping, joining and transitioning of videos.

Took a better part of the day for editing and rendering, but I think results for a novice first timer are good.

What programs are you folks using, which is less cumbersome and does not burn a big hole in your pocket?

Wondershare's Filmora as I'm a beginnet

I would recommend not trying to edit using raw 4K. I always create proxy file for all my raw 4K drone footage. I have a preset in Adobe Prelude that I quickly just drag my raw footage into the que and let it run its course while I go do something else that needs to be done during the day. The payoff is, when I come back to sit down and do the pre or post editing it is way more enjoyable and easier to scrub along the timeline then waiting the CPU to catch up and all the jerky motion that is normally annoying as all get out.

I use exclusively all adobe products with an Creative Cloud All Apps plan. It is $52 a month, but I am a web developer, graphic designer and hoping to be an awesome cinematographer in the drone industry as well so the "All Apps" makes sense for me and is worth it.

Adobe Prelude or Premiere for creating proxies
Adobe Premiere for pre & post production
Adobe After Effects for specials effects, titles and animations
3ds Max for animation and 3D effects

sUAS Portfolio

Reactions: Slowcaptain
We shall always keep in mind that NO ONE WANTS TO SEE OUR DRONE VIDEOS ;-)
So I'm happy with the built-in video editor of DJI Go, usually I cut 4-7 sec parts from the cached footages, sometimes with accelerated speed, and I aim to keep the full video within 30-40 sec. This is not too much work, the software is free and also legal.

Reactions: Billys_Mavic

I don’t like to edit on PC , so I edit with LumaFusion on my iPhone X , I can render 4mins 4K video under 2 mins where my pc Takes 15-25 mins..

Reactions: mavicfly
Save yourself money (and time from Return tripping) and use Resolve!

Many people don’t realize how powerful Davinci Resolve is beyond color grading. It’s even more powerful in version 15 for motion graphics.
I’ll even mention this link to some free Visual Effects and transitions tutorials so you can get same effects like in FCPX and Premiere Pro.

DaVinci Resolve VFX / Transition Tutorials - YouTube

Kdenlive. It's free, open source, and cross platform. Works great.

I don’t like to edit on PC , so I edit with LumaFusion on my iPhone X , I can render 4mins 4K video under 2 mins where my pc Takes 15-25 mins..
Nice! It was suggested early on. Haven't had a chance to get to it yet.

We shall always keep in mind that NO ONE WANTS TO SEE OUR DRONE VIDEOS ;-)
So I'm happy with the built-in video editor of DJI Go, usually I cut 4-7 sec parts from the cached footages, sometimes with accelerated speed, and I aim to keep the full video within 30-40 sec. This is not too much work, the software is free and also legal.
:D I wish DJI had Go editor for pc /Mac that does the same thing as the mobile app except on real recorded videos and not on low resolution cache. I'll gladly use it

It's been discontinued but if you look around hard enough you can still find Windows Movie Maker. It's honestly the easiest to use and works like a charm for total noobs. I haven't tried it with 4K video because I don't have a 4K TV or laptop but for my video it's a real champ.

This thread discusses how you can download it:

Want to download a safe version of Movie Maker

If you don't want to pay $$$ every month and just want to put together some decent drone video it's the way to go. (Note: Might not play in your region because of the audio track)

Last edited:
I use exclusively all adobe products with an Creative Cloud All Apps plan. It is $52 a month, but I am a web developer, graphic designer and hoping to be an awesome cinematographer in the drone industry as well so the "All Apps" makes sense for me and is worth it.

sUAS Portfolio
True, those who are into it professionally Adobe products are worth every penny I guess despite the bloat and especially if you have been 'trained' in Adobe products for years reducing learning curve. I kind of wish Adobe has a free version like that of Davinci Resolve. From what I saw, most of the free apps suck at user interface, and usability.

Want to download a safe version of Movie Maker

If you don't want to pay $$$ every month and just want to put together some decent drone video it's the way to go. (Note: Might not play in your region because of the audio track)

Oh great! I have win 10 and I tried looking into built in applications but couldn't find it, MS for reason unknown removed this in latest Windows :/
I'm a noob too :D thanks for the link.
Video played alright, what drone? I didn't know you could use tracks from major artists. Here is what I put together :

Reactions: rbhamilton
i've been editing video for a while - starting with final cut 4. as said by someone earlier, FCPX handles 4k video quite well on a 2017 macbook pro - 4x better (faster) than premiere pro cc on the same machine. however, i absolutely effing HATE FCPX, so much so that i went "back" to premiere pro when "X" came out. soooo - since i don't typically use 4k for the end product, i will cut clips in FCPX & export a prores 422 @ 1080, then work in premiere pro from then on.

i've been editing video for a while - starting with final cut 4. as said by someone earlier, FCPX handles 4k video quite well on a 2017 macbook pro - 4x better (faster) than premiere pro cc on the same machine. however, i absolutely effing HATE FCPX, so much so that i went "back" to premiere pro when "X" came out. soooo - since i don't typically use 4k for the end product, i will cut clips in FCPX & export a prores 422 @ 1080, then work in premiere pro from then on.
Hmm, Come Thanksgiving I'll probably invest in a better hardware preferably MBP or XPS if I don't feel like moving away from MS ecosystem. General opinion also seems that 4k doesn't offer many benefits and is a pain to edit it.

I have had great luck with Apple i-Movie. It was easy to learn and works great. Here is a youtube link to a movie I made for my grounds care company:

Only downside is that you need to have a Mac to use it. But wait, that is not really a downside. I-movie has worked great and I think it still comes free with any Mac.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart