DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What video editing software you guys using?

I'm using a combination of the iMovie that came with my iMacs, and Wondershare's Filmora ($60), although this week I downloaded the brand new Beta version of DaVinci Resolve 15 (free version). It looks a little daunting, but there appears to be a plethora of YouTube videos to educate one on the usage.

General opinion also seems that 4k doesn't offer many benefits and is a pain to edit it.

4k is bulky & a PITA to edit without the proper hardware & if you are posting online, IMHO, 1080 is plenty.

advantages to shooting in 4k: (a) cropping. you have a ton more real estate for zooming in, correcting horizon, etc. (b) future proofing your work. if a project is something i KNOW is one time use & thrown away - i will likely shoot it 1080. if it's something i expect might have a longer lifespan - or something i want to keep for my reel - i'll go 4k. 6k & 8k are here if you have the money --- so --- yeah, there's that.

Honestly, Adobe Premier is the flagship for video editing. Everything I've read, researched, and used as always come back to that. I've done SOME videos in it. I work everything on my Surface Pro 4... i5, 128Gb SSD, 8GB RAM. I was able to do a 3 minute video edit in about an hour and the 4k render took about 2 hours. All of my original footage was shot in 4k. Here's the link if you'd like to check it out. The best way to speed up the edit process is...

#1 - keep all your raw on an SSD and in one place.
#2 - Drag everything from your source location directly into your timeline for editing... don't use the "bins" feature unless you have a decked out rig (4th gen. i5/i7, SSD primary, 16-32Gb RAM, and a ROCKING video card).

I was able to do a 3 minute video edit in about an hour and the 4k render took about 2 hours. All of my original footage was shot in 4k. Here's the link if you'd like to check it out.
Mine is i7 from 3 years ago. It's the U series of processors which draw very low voltage and are more tuned towards battery life than anything else. My benchmarks are quite similar to yours... Took about 3 hours for 8 minutes 4k video :D

Anyone using Sony Vegas pro on PC?

I've used it for mounting video with gopro, but I did not try yet with the 4K video of MP..
I've been using Vegas Pro for about a decade now. I've produced TV and movie screen commercials, short documentaries and videos of my cats fighting. After seeing so much talk about DaVinci Resolve, I tried it. It is a resource pig. The cache/index that it builds for every clip dropped into a project, grew to over 150GB in just the first day of use. The indexing process itself is a resource hog, and seems to be running constantly in the background. I quickly returned to my Vegas 15, and haven't looked back. Vegas does a good job of running and editing 4K; far better than Resolve, and has every bit of the color grading tools that Resolve has. It's audio editor is also brilliant.

It is a resource pig. The cache/index that it builds for every clip dropped into a project, grew to over 150GB in just the first day of use. The indexing process itself is a resource hog.
Exactly this. You need a monster of a computer.
Thanks for Vegas recommendation.

Reactions: Qoncussion
I use Premiere. Adobe's monthly subscription model is handy for dipping in and out of when you need to make a video (e.g. after the latest holiday).

For everyone struggling to edit 4K, the crux of the issue is more the h264 format the clips come in, rather than the resolution.

I won't go in to detail here, I'm about to write a post detailing my first experience (and film) with the Air, but you need to encode the h264 clips in to something better to edit with. I use the Cineform codec. Your machines will find this far, far easier to deal with.

You could even batch encode all of your clips into a much lower resolution Cineform, make a rough cut, then with the clips (and parts of them) that are in your 'locked' cut, transcode the relevant parts of the source h264 in to best quality Cineform. Then either manually or automatically rebuild the timeline for fine tune editing, speed ramping, motion, colour grading and titling.

I did a blog post a couple of years ago about workflow for the GoPro Hero 4, and how to get the best out of it. While it's a different camera and I mention different tools, because it's the same h264 source clips the principle is the same. It's a long read, but hopefully proves helpful: Will John Snow – UXD › Getting the best from a GoPro

I hope to post my Air experience soon, I'll put some workflow tips in there.

Reactions: Slowcaptain
I have been using Vegas for about 10 years. I am new drone/4k flights and have about 30 flights in the last 3 months.
I use other software for special effects like Hitfilm, but not as a stand-alone. Vegas Pro 14 can handle multiple types of video ratios on one timeline
and render a solid piece.This recent video uses Air clips on the non-windy days.

Reactions: Slowcaptain
I have been using Vegas for about 10 years. I am new drone/4k flights and have about 30 flights in the last 3 months.
I use other software for special effects like Hitfilm, but not as a stand-alone. Vegas Pro 14 can handle multiple types of video ratios on one timeline
and render a solid piece.This recent video uses Air clips on the non-windy days.
I ll be honest, I did not watch the full video but just scrolled thru it for aerial shots, and this particular sequence starting around 3:15 is beautiful. Well done! The cohesiveness between aerial and non-aerial clips is very nicely done.

I use Premiere. Adobe's monthly subscription model is handy for dipping in and out of when you need to make a video (e.g. after the latest holiday).

For everyone struggling to edit 4K, the crux of the issue is more the h264 format the clips come in, rather than the resolution.

I hope to post my Air experience soon, I'll put some workflow tips in there.

Thanks. Let us know when you get to it, I am looking forward to it.

So I spent a lot of time downloading, evaluating a handful of video editing softwares. Most of them are behemoths and absolutely suck the life out of your machine if it is anything less than a high end setup. Mine is a 5th gen i7 with 16GB RAM and a 2GB GFX card, and the thing absolutely dies editing 4K video.
Anyhoo, I used Adobe Lightroom CC (for color grading/LUTs loading) in combination with Movavi Video editor for trimming, clipping, joining and transitioning of videos.

Took a better part of the day for editing and rendering, but I think results for a novice first timer are good.

What programs are you folks using, which is less cumbersome and does not burn a big hole in your pocket?

I also use Movavi. Works with a Dell laptop with duel core but rather "clunky".
The free go pro also works but more control with Movavi.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
suretybondsa