DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What video editing software you guys using?

That's a very good configuration for almost everything! Nice videos. Where is Mirror lake?
Mirror Lake is in Washington state. Somewhere close to Snoqualmie Pass. And thank you
PC is running on a custom water loop (CPU and GPU) with dual radiators .

$20 for Premiere PRo CC is steep.

I’m considering getting a Mavic 2 Pro as my first drone but I guess it doesn’t really shoot 4K, more like 2.7k?

However, something like Final Cut Pro X is $300 so you want it to be capable of editing 4K and beyond.

The other area I’m interested in are time lapses in 4K. It sounds like people are using Premiere Pro and After Effects combo, which would be $40 a month, or something like LRTimeLapse which is around $100.

It would be great if iMovie can handle all these needs but I’m hearing you can’t do color grading on it.

Also, do people use stabilization through these software packages?

I’m considering getting a Mavic 2 Pro as my first drone but I guess it doesn’t really shoot 4K, more like 2.7k?

However, something like Final Cut Pro X is $300 so you want it to be capable of editing 4K and beyond.

The other area I’m interested in are time lapses in 4K. It sounds like people are using Premiere Pro and After Effects combo, which would be $40 a month, or something like LRTimeLapse which is around $100.

It would be great if iMovie can handle all these needs but I’m hearing you can’t do color grading on it.

Mavic Pro 2 does 4k-4096 x 2160 @ 24 & 60 fps.

I use the entire Adobe Suite at $59 per month, but I am a video post production editor, web designer/developer and 3D modeler so it makes sense for me.

I use proxy videos for editing, very easy to create and way easier for scrubbing video.

I have a pretty beafy desktop system but 4k is just a beast.

Cyberlink Power Director is quite powerful and very easy to use. It is used on a 4k 17" HP Omen Gaming Laptop purchased specifically for 4k video editing (not gaming).

Last edited:
lol.. i have i5 lenovo x240 and it's not render 4k with Adobe :) so i use android app AndroVid Pro for download 4k to 1080p ...

As others have pointed out, it is a hardware limitation that makes 4k difficult to play back and work with in general. There is little difference between video editors in terms of their ability to play 4K.

For me, FCPX is by far the best editor. It's precision edit mode gives wonderful control for manipulating the various cut types (straight, j, l) trims. Resolve 15, the free version, is also a good choice, and has the most robust color correction capabilities. Fusion, which comes bundled with it, gives you outstanding compositing capabilities for things like speed changes. It is, however, something that will take a while to learn.

All those commenting on iPad solutions, note that you are not editing 4K. You are working with a greatly reduced proxy file. DJI does not send full res video to any of the tablets or phones. The only full res video is on the SC card in the drone. Full 4k, particularly from the 1" sensor DJI drones is beautiful on a calibrated 4K TV. Well worth the costs in file size and hardware.

I switched over from Premiere Pro to Davinci Studio and never looked back - actually paid for the full $300 for the license. On Windows, you need to install the HEVC Video Extensions from the Windows App Store and that makes a huge difference in playback of H.265 video from my M2P. Takes a little bit to get used to it but I have no interest in going back to Adobe again. Even video exports are a lot better/faster.

Reactions: Gr8fulTed

The Mavic 2 Pro shoots real 4K @ 1:1 pixel readout and can do so in 10bit D-LogM. If you read it tops out at 2.7K that is incorrect.

Look into LumaFusion if you have a recent iPad or iPad Pro - cheap one-time purchase (no subscription) and is the simplest interface I have seen to date that still gives you access to a fully professional editor. Only downside is no distortion correction.

If you prefer to work on your PC, DaVinci Resolve 15 is free and is also a fully featured professional editing program.

You don't need stabilization at all, but I have never heard of people trying to add extra stabilization to M2P footage with software.

I have a laptop but prefer working primarily on my iMac with the big screen.

Anyone use iMovie?

All those commenting on iPad solutions, note that you are not editing 4K. You are working with a greatly reduced proxy file. DJI does not send full res video to any of the tablets or phones. The only full res video is on the SC card in the drone. Full 4k, particularly from the 1" sensor DJI drones is beautiful on a calibrated 4K TV. Well worth the costs in file size and hardware.

Unless you are importing the files from the card to the iPad... ;)

I have been using FCPX for years before coming to the drone world. I have toyed with some footage in FCPX and found it no problem to work with. Wouldn't by FCPX just for drone footage there are cheaper ways to get the job done, Power Director and Vegas,
Hope that helps

I switched over from Premiere Pro to Davinci Studio and never looked back - actually paid for the full $300 for the license. Even video exports are a lot better/faster.

I had hi hopes for Davinci, but the free version’s engine is dumbed down, which results in unplayable 4K timelines, until it’s rendered or exported. Does the paid version allow smooth playback? Even in Premiere, I cannot add any dissolves or even add a color correction track without playback being impossible. I have tried various ways around that, but about the only 2 options are to either load in proxy footage, or render everything constantly. The 2 computers I have are both i7 iMacs. They work great as digital audio workstations, video is way more demanding.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hcastro