DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What's behind a drone light show? One pilot...one computer.

Note that Part 107.35 says "A person may not manipulate flight controls or act as a remote pilot in command or visual observer in the operation of more than one unmanned aircraft at the same time."

I'm guessing they get a waiver of this.

Of course, Part 107 doesn't apply in Tokyo, so that particular rule wasn't an issue there.

Reactions: MARK (LI)
Note that Part 107.35 says "A person may not manipulate flight controls or act as a remote pilot in command or visual observer in the operation of more than one unmanned aircraft at the same time."

Of course, Part 107 doesn't apply in Tokyo, so that particular rule wasn't an issue there.
I've seen a drone show in the USA. It's of a relly big Face singing for a Music video. 1 Take was done in Michigan and the other over a ski resort.

HERE IS THE ARTICLE LINK on all the work that went into this particular show. https://www.fxguide.com/fxfeatured/face-that-drone/
TO ANSWER YOUR QUESTION, The drone company was FIREFLY DRONE SHOWS and yes, they applied for 2 waivers, listed on the FAA Website, you just have to search for their name. THE WAIVERS WERE 107.29 and 107.35.
107.35 is Fly multiple small UAS with only one remote pilot - OPERATION OF MULTIPLE UNMANNED AIRCRAFT.
107.29 is FLY AT NIGHT WITHOUT ANTICOLLISION LIGHTING.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rich QR
--Fly a small UAS from a moving aircraft or a vehicle in populated areas § 107.25 – Operation from a Moving Vehicle or Aircraft
--Fly a small UAS at night without anti-collision lighting § 107.29(a)(2) – Operation at night
--Fly a small UAS during periods of civil twilight without anti-collision lighting § 107.29(b) – Operation at Night
--Fly a small UAS beyond your ability to clearly determine its orientation with unaided vision § 107.31 – Visual Line of Sight Aircraft Operation
--Use a visual observer without following all visual observer requirements § 107.33 – Visual Observer
--Fly multiple small UAS with only one remote pilot § 107.35 – Operation of Multiple Small UAS
--Fly over a person with a small UAS which does not meet operational categories 1, 2, 3, or 4 § 107.39 – Operation over human beings.

--Fly a small UAS:
Over 100 miles per hour groundspeed
Over 400 feet above ground level (AGL)
With less than 3 statute miles of visibility
Within 500 feet vertically or 2000 feet horizontally from clouds
§ 107.51 – Operating limitations for Small Unmanned Aircraft
--Fly over moving vehicles with a small UAS which does not meet operational categories 1, 2, 3, or 4 or other conditions § 107.145 – Operations Over Moving Vehicles

Last edited:
@66427cobra Thank you for sharing that video link. Being so close to Pigeon Forge/Dollywood it was extra special to watch that video.

They aren't operating under Part 107 but a special COA.

I see the automation in their special drones land about as good as some of us here on the forums (start video at 1:48 and watch how many totally miss their landing/charging pad). I'll be honest, more nailed it than I would have expected :)

Rich that's in Pigeon Forge Tennessee but they aren't operating under Part 107 so it's still irrelevant in this instance.

Reactions: Rich QR and GlenM
@66427cobra Thank you for sharing that video link. Being so close to Pigeon Forge/Dollywood it was extra special to watch that video.

They aren't operating under Part 107 but a special COA.

I see the automation in their special drones land about as good as some of us here on the forums (start video at 1:48 and watch how many totally miss their landing/charging pad). I'll be honest, more nailed it than I would have expected :)
Many of these drone's used for this type of work are RTK equipped. Helps their accuracy significantly.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pocki