DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What's up Hon? - From MD

crabu2

Reactions
Just ordered my 1st drone the other day... Mavic Air Fly More Combo.

They shipped it from Colorado, FedEx ground so it's going to be another few days before it gets to me. Being I've never flown a drone or even seen one flying in person, can anyone tell me what I should do when this thing arrives?

I've watched a bunch of YT videos on unboxing, flights, and just general use. It also seems I need some type of FAA license.

What's the deal with the FCC license? Can I file for one now, or do I need the drone to get a serial number. In one video, the guy said the FAA sticker had to be on the drone, and the battery compartment was fine since no tools were needed to see the sticker, even though the battery had to be removed. Another video I saw said the sticker had to be on the outside. This is a bit confusing to me. I understand the sticker is outside, if the battery is not mounted, but it's also inside, when you mount the battery.

So can I place the sticker in the battery compartment?

There seems to be some restricted areas I can not fly, but I seem to have read that the DJI drones won't allow you to fly in those areas. They automatically block you out. If that's true, do I need to worry about where I'm flying?

Thanks all!

They shipped it from Colorado, FedEx ground so it's going to be another few days before it gets to me. Being I've never flown a drone or even seen one flying in person, can anyone tell me what I should do when this thing arrives?

I've watched a bunch of YT videos on unboxing, flights, and just general use. It also seems I need some type of FAA license.

What's the deal with the FCC license? Can I file for one now, or do I need the drone to get a serial number. In one video, the guy said the FAA sticker had to be on the drone, and the battery compartment was fine since no tools were needed to see the sticker, even though the battery had to be removed. Another video I saw said the sticker had to be on the outside. This is a bit confusing to me. I understand the sticker is outside, if the battery is not mounted, but it's also inside, when you mount the battery.

There seems to be some restricted areas I can not fly, but I seem to have read that the DJI drones won't allow you to fly in those areas. They automatically block you out. If that's true, do I need to worry about where I'm flying?

Thanks all!
Welcome to the world of drones. You have much reading and learning to do. I would recommend becoming much more knowledgeable before taking that MA out for its maiden voyage. To answer some of your questions:
  • You are a recreational pilot and do not at this time require any license or exam, although that will change. You DO however need to register at the FAA DroneZone site. It only takes a few minutes and a $5.00 payment by credit card.
  • You will receive an FAA registration number once you register. It must be displayed on the OUTSIDE of the drone, and NOT in the battery compartment.
  • There may be restricted areas around you depending on where you live. I would suggest at the very least using AirMap to get an idea of the restrictions for where you plan on flying.
  • The DJI Geo Fencing capabilities will in general keep you safe and not allow you to fly where you shouldn't be flying. However, it is not perfect and you as the RPIC are always responsible for knowing the airspace and restrictions around you.
  • Since you have never flown any drone, I would highly recommend downloading the full user manual for the Mavic Air from the DJI website. Read it carefully many times over. Take notes. Ask questions.
I do give lessons, especially for newbies. If you can get up to the Philadelphia area we can set something up so that you can become a much better prepared, proficient, and safer pilot.

Reactions: crabu2
Welcome to Mavic Pilots .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching . Thumbswayup

Welcome to the world of drones. You have much reading and learning to do. I would recommend becoming much more knowledgeable before taking that MA out for its maiden voyage. To answer some of your questions:
  • You are a recreational pilot and do not at this time require any license or exam, although that will change. You DO however need to register at the FAA DroneZone site. It only takes a few minutes and a $5.00 payment by credit card.
  • You will receive an FAA registration number once you register. It must be displayed on the OUTSIDE of the drone, and NOT in the battery compartment.
  • There may be restricted areas around you depending on where you live. I would suggest at the very least using AirMap to get an idea of the restrictions for where you plan on flying.
  • The DJI Geo Fencing capabilities will in general keep you safe and not allow you to fly where you shouldn't be flying. However, it is not perfect and you as the RPIC are always responsible for knowing the airspace and restrictions around you.
  • Since you have never flown any drone, I would highly recommend downloading the full user manual for the Mavic Air from the DJI website. Read it carefully many times over. Take notes. Ask questions.
I do give lessons, especially for newbies. If you can get up to the Philadelphia area we can set something up so that you can become a much better prepared, proficient, and safer pilot.

Thanks for the detailed reply.. s for getting to Philly, for me, it's not that far. I tell people I live in Baltimore.. At least I grew up there, but I'm actually in Ceciltucky these day. I'm kind of smack dab in the middle between Philly and DC.

Let me wait till I get my drone and see what happens.. if nothing else, I'd love to see some people actually flying their drone. As a kid, I saw a few guys flying RC planes and choppers , but I've never seen a drone being flown.

Reactions: PhantomFandom
Welcome to the forum! :)

Being I've never flown a drone or even seen one flying in person, can anyone tell me what I should do when this thing arrives?
Download the Mavic manual from the Mavic Air downloads page (it does not come in the box). Also, check out my tips at MavicHelp.com.

The DJI GEO map shows the locations where the Mavic Air will not fly without authorization from DJI. Keep in mind that the fact that the Mavic Air does not prevent you from flying or that DJI has authorized you to fly in a specific location does not mean it's legal to fly in that location. You should not fly in locations where it's not legal to fly (see the AirMap map) or in locations where there are TFRs.

See more details about the current hobbyist flying rules in this thread:

Thanks for the detailed reply.. s for getting to Philly, for me, it's not that far. I tell people I live in Baltimore.. At least I grew up there, but I'm actually in Ceciltucky these day. I'm kind of smack dab in the middle between Philly and DC.

Let me wait till I get my drone and see what happens.. if nothing else, I'd love to see some people actually flying their drone. As a kid, I saw a few guys flying RC planes and choppers , but I've never seen a drone being flown.
Baltimore isn't that far at all unless 95 is backed up and then it can be pure hell. I need to get down there to the Inner Harbor at some point to get some nice aerial footage. Now that the weather seems to have finally moved past winter, I hope to be getting out more.

I've never flown a R/C helicopter but I did fly R/C fixed wing way back when they were still using gasoline engines. Fun but difficult finding places to fly with adequate space, so I dropped that. Now I can fly most anywhere that is legal so it is much more convenient. Plus on the commercial side I can actually make some money from the investment in this "hobby".

One other tip. If you do decide to venture out on your own (after reading the user manual many times), make sure to start in Beginner Mode. You can still crash it, but it keeps the MA close to you and easier to control.

Thanks all!
Welcome to Mavic Pilots from Dayton Ohio! Enjoy your new Mavic Air, Fly safe and have fun!

Welcome to Mavicpilots.com. If you ever need advice or repair questions, feel free to reach out to the forum.

Best regards and good luck,

Rob
Thunderdrones

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
instaproapk