DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What's wrong with some people?

Physopto Are you from Newcastle or Newcastle upon Tyne? If the latter, there is a beautiful bridge there I'd like to fly over and film and the river. Any law against that?
I’m from Newcastle (Upon Tyne). Do you mean the Tyne bridge? If so, it’s pretty much in the city centre so you woebegone able to fly anywhere near it as it’s a congested area. As a hobbyist you can’t fly in built up areas here in the UK - you need one of the higher qualifications.

Reactions: Physopto
Before criticizing, are we even sure that these pilots are even aware of this forum? The members of this forum have been well-schooled in the proper way to fly. As the saying goes, we are "preaching to the choir." This forum is not the audience, unfortunately. These cavalier pilots only think of themselves. Hopefully, if they post to social media they will be discovered and dealt with by authorities. Hopefully, these arrests will be well publicized as a deterrent.
Maybe this will encourage us to share the proper behaviors to the larger community of pilots. And the general public. In my social media drone posts of images and videos I sometimes include basic flight regs so people understand there are rules. Some people have a bias against drones and it’s really up to those of us that love flying them to be models of good behavior and help educate.

It’s written in our laws of people as time goes by there’s more and more knuckleheads they will ruin our hobby

Crowds are ALWAYS a NFZ. That is the law.
It is also common sense. Imagine if you lost control and the drone crashed and injured several people with those twirling knife blades! Apart from the serious injuries, I doubt if you have enough liability insurance to cover the $millions in claims.

No, that is NOT the law.

We have enough bad information coming from people outside the industry. We don't also need it from people inside the industry who should know the actual rules.

We aren't allowed to fly over people. That is it. There is no automatic NFZ for crowds. Period.

Even at 100ft altitude, One can appear to be practically on top of a location based on FPV, but actually be up to100ft behind it. I always have to point my gimbal straight down to really know where I am. Even viewing VLOS is deceptive.

Reactions: Drgnfli
unless with advance licence SFOC and approved drone
According to "my book" even though you have a licence or permit to fly in a NFZ danger still exists ! "Accident to hapened" does not see the licence but sees a drone in an inappropriate area.:eek:

When opportunity arises, have been recommending a drone school for beginners. On line course to prepare pilots about basic knowledge and how a drone works. Very inexpensive course, pilots receive a drone school certificate after successfully answering 40 questions correctly. Questions like; What is the most important thing to do before you hit return to home feature? Or, What is the difference between a 5.8 over a 1.3 antennae? Very basic information, but its a beginning, when a newbie starts flying, and has to find out the hard way. And, has to pay dearly out of the pocket book, we have seasoned pilots
on this forum. But, please remember many of us had to learn from the school of hard knocks. Pilots can study at their leisure, usually takes about a month to complete this course. Price $10.00 on group on, up to $25.00, National Drone Schools. We can encourage new pilots on how to fly and be safe.

I assume it i
What is it so important to you pilots to capture a crowd of protesters on you drone video or still? Are you going to sell it to a newspaper? Isn't there enough coverage in the press of these shots anyway. Do you want to post it to social media? Please explain to us law-abiding pilots here on the forum the attraction of skirting or breaking a law . Who even wants to see your stuff anyway? It is inflammatory, achieves more hatred, etc.
I assume it is similar to rubberneckers at freeway accidents.

It is illegal to fly over people here in the U.S.A. also.
However it is not necessary to have any knowledge of the rules to purchase a drone and fly it.

Can someone please explain what fly over constitutes? There must be a height at which it would be considered just flying.

Can someone please explain what fly over constitutes? There must be a height at which it would be considered just flying.

No - flying over people at any height up to the limit of 400 ft is prohibited. Is there a reason why you think it might somehow be okay if the aircraft were higher?

Here is a link to the FAA's Website page for recreational drone flyers.

https://www.faa.gov/uas/recreational_fliers/

Rule No. 8 Never fly over any person or moving vehicle. It's pretty vague or its pretty clear, depending upon how you view laws. In some other countries they spell out the distance limits in detail.

It is illegal to fly over people here in the U.S.A. also.
However it is not necessary to have any knowledge of the rules to purchase a drone and fly it.

Yes, and THAT needs to change (IMHO)! The more knotheaded "children" out there with no knowledge or care whatsoever before buying and flying our beloved hi-tech machines, the more they jeopardize this phenomenal hobby for those of us who pay serious attention to safety and knowledge of the law, not to mention common sense. As a real estate and landscape photographer (and 107 FAA pilot), i seriously believe it's time for those who completly disregard the law just for the joy of posting on social media for the immediate gratification the "likes" and "share" stats offer them, or whatever the hell they'll they get out of breaking the law at everyone else's expense... it needs to end before we're all relegated to flying only in our backyard!!! YES, it pisses me off... but I yield the floor. ?

Same rule as in the UK I think. No flying over 1000 people unless special permission is obtained.

Limit 400 feet (120m) and you are not allowed within 150m anyway of large gatherings for most of us. Those with PfCO and special permit can. New rules coming in requiring A2 CofC and GVC now on hold until December this year, so those qualifications of no use at all at present. Personally I cannot think of any reason a recreational flyer would want to engage in recording such events. The TV covers it enough to make us all fed up anyway. Idiots crammed together in a pandemic !
The tear gas doesn't come through the TV.

Otherwise, there might be devious reasons why the media would be there...

As long as you’re not flying directly over the crowd or being reckless about it, I see no harm in getting footage of it. Same as any other crowd...

As for other aircraft, my Air 2 has ADS-B and it’s not a gimmick. It actually works well. I know that it’s the one drone that has it and not many people are flying an Air 2 yet, but it does make a difference.

Unless there’s an actual TFR to be obeyed by the FAA, I don’t think it’s really a problem ??‍♂️. Typical drone flying rules apply.

Reactions: monteolsen1
I've been noticing this a lot recently, but, it's like I wrote in another post a few days ago, there is an enormous lack of education/information out there with regards to drones.

I forget why I originally signed up here, I believe it was as I was researching drones, but if not for this forum, I wouldn't have been aware of the need to register with the FAA, much less things like flying over people, under 400' etc. It's my belief that a huge percentage of those who own drones are not even remotely aware of even the simplest regulations. DJI, Autel, Skydio etc should put a small country specific card in the box with half a dozen basic rules and regulations just to provide some information. I realize not everyone will read that card, but at least some will and it's better than nothing.

I've been noticing this a lot recently, but, it's like I wrote in another post a few days ago, there is an enormous lack of education/information out there with regards to drones.

I forget why I originally signed up here, I believe it was as I was researching drones, but if not for this forum, I wouldn't have been aware of the need to register with the FAA, much less things like flying over people, under 400' etc. It's my belief that a huge percentage of those who own drones are not even remotely aware of even the simplest regulations. DJI, Autel, Skydio etc should put a small country specific card in the box with half a dozen basic rules and regulations just to provide some information. I realize not everyone will read that card, but at least some will and it's better than nothing.
Just look at how many people go get a car and leave the temporary 30 day tag on the car for months.

Physopto Are you from Newcastle or Newcastle upon Tyne? If the latter, there is a beautiful bridge there I'd like to fly over and film and the river. Any law against that?

My understanding of the law is ,,, Yes it is illegal to fly over the bridge. You are not allowed to overfly any gathering of uninvolved people (1000) . I have to qualify that statement. The bridge is standing over the Tyne River and at a total height of 59 metres or 194 feet. It will depend upon how many uninvolved people (including in vehicles) there are on the bridge and under it at any time. Also I believe you are required to not be within 150 metres of any structure (i.e the bridge) so you could not overfly anyway as height restriction of 120 metres(400 feet) cannot be met.
I hope that is all correct, never thought of a bridge especially that big before.
I guess you could fly near it over the river though .

And yes I live not too far away. :)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661