DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What's your experience with selling drone footage?

PS01

Reactions
Hi guys, anyone has experience in selling drone footage? Do you sell them in stock video websites? How's your experience? What kinds of drone footage sell well nowadays?

For selling stock video I would recommend using black box, they submit your footage to a number of stock video sites for you.

I came across them from a video put out by a youtube creator Chris Hau which gives a pretty good overview of how things work.

If you decide to register feel free to use this link (full disclosure I would get a 1% referral bonus from Black Box out of their cut for any footage of yours that sell)

A really nice feature is the ability to share revenue with others, each clip needs to be curated (have key words assigned, be trimmed to length etc...) If you just want to film footage and don't want to be bothered with the editing you can partner with a curator to help with that portion and you can share the revenue from the sales of the clip.

I know this isn't the best first post on a forum seems really sales pitch like ....Came here to research the Mavic Mini for the purpose of building up some stock footage while on an upcoming vacation so this kind of sparked my interest.

For selling stock video I would recommend using black box, they submit your footage to a number of stock video sites for you.

I came across them from a video put out by a youtube creator Chris Hau which gives a pretty good overview of how things work.

If you decide to register feel free to use this link (full disclosure I would get a 1% referral bonus from Black Box out of their cut for any footage of yours that sell)

A really nice feature is the ability to share revenue with others, each clip needs to be curated (have key words assigned, be trimmed to length etc...) If you just want to film footage and don't want to be bothered with the editing you can partner with a curator to help with that portion and you can share the revenue from the sales of the clip.

I know this isn't the best first post on a forum seems really sales pitch like ....Came here to research the Mavic Mini for the purpose of building up some stock footage while on an upcoming vacation so this kind of sparked my interest.
So I looked at the BlackBox website and their terms of service. The fellow on the intro video did not mention the terms of service which includes the fees involved, but they are considerable- e.g.: 15% commission +3% for uploading your own videos which they distribute to stock companies.

Yes they take a fairly significant commission.....
Based on my admittedly limited research I believe they get a better rate from the stock websites than you would as an individual. Also the time and effort to manage uploading to the various stock sites needs to be considered. I personally like the fact that I have one place to upload/curate and that it is easy to split off the curation portion of the process. I would far rather spend my time shooting than editing and key wording the clips.

For sure if you want to do all the editing and have the time to upload to all the various stock agencies and therefore put more of the $$ in your pocket this may not be the best solution for you.

Yes they take a fairly significant commission.....
Based on my admittedly limited research I believe they get a better rate from the stock websites than you would as an individual. Also the time and effort to manage uploading to the various stock sites needs to be considered. I personally like the fact that I have one place to upload/curate and that it is easy to split off the curation portion of the process. I would far rather spend my time shooting than editing and key wording the clips.

For sure if you want to do all the editing and have the time to upload to all the various stock agencies and therefore put more of the $$ in your pocket this may not be the best solution for you.
So I have spent the last 45 minutes working on this. Turns out I had already signed up for Black Box a long time ago and forgot. I even had my password on a list! I tried to upload a sample video of an Iceland waterfall, and was forced to also install a program called Filezilla. Black Box does not have an uploading ability like a simple box in You Tube or Vimeo where I could just drag my video into the box to upload. So I installed Filezilla that and then tried to upload to the Iceland video.. Then I came to an abrupt halt. Got lost at this point. They didn't define three blank boxes at the top- User, was it my name or my e-mail. I aboted and deleted the install, erased Filezilla, and everything.

Not an expert on the black box interface....found the black box user guide and it details things pretty clearly

Not an expert on the black box interface....found the black box user guide and it details things pretty clearly

OMG! I just opened that link up and it was 49 pages of print! Luckily I don't need the money that I might have gotten from selling stock drone videos. After reading through several pages I decided that this would probably require a college course to learn. As a retired doctor, I will just enjoy my drone videos and Mavic Pilot's forum and all the other freebies to share work. For as they say in New York "fuggedaboutit."

OMG! I just opened that link up and it was 49 pages of print! Luckily I don't need the money that I might have gotten from selling stock drone videos. After reading through several pages I decided that this would probably require a college course to learn. As a retired doctor, I will just enjoy my drone videos and Mavic Pilot's forum and all the other freebies to share work. For as they say in New York "fuggedaboutit."
???? well to each their own

l don't think i will ever be getting rich from stock video ....heck I haven't made a cent so far, I know there are many folks making a decent side income from it. I just think of it as a way to possibly fund my photography hobby.

If I was a retired doctor I certainly wouldn't be fussing with stock video either I would be out enjoying my retirement ;)

I post photos on several of the media stock websites, and I’ve made a lot more money chasing after copyright violators of my photos that I have from my photos themselves. :( How sad is that?!

• Wow
Reactions: Skyflyer129
I post photos on several of the media stock websites, and I’ve made a lot more money chasing after copyright violators of my photos that I have from my photos themselves. :( How sad is that?!
Seems to be the best business model going! Some even chum the waters by freely posting their own copyrighted images on public forums, without the copyright notice on the images, to encourage web designers to use the images commercially, while innocently thinking the images are copyright free and in the public domain! The copyright holder then partners up with a big NYC copyright trolling law firm that pursues all the businesses with commercial websites using the copyrighted images, and they split the proceeds! It can be very lucrative, even if you never have sold a single image! The damages are statutory, including legal fees, and punitive damages are also available in egregious cases, where the offender acts in bad faith, once contacted! A simple $25 photo license fee, not paid for using a copyrighted image on a commercial website, could easily turn into a settlement for $25,000 or more!

Last edited:
Seems to be the best business model going! Some even chum the waters by freely posting their own copyrighted images on public forums, without the copyright notice on the images, to encourage web designers to use the images commercially, while innocently thinking the images are copyright free and in the public domain! The copyright holder then partners up with a big NYC copyright trolling law firm that pursues all the businesses with commercial websites using the copyrighted images, and they split the proceeds! It can be very lucrative, even if you never have sold a single image! The damages are statutory, including legal fees, and punitive damages are also available in egregious cases, where the offender acts in bad faith, once contacted! A simple $25 photo license fee, not paid for using a copyrighted image on a commercial website, could easily turn into a settlement for $25,000 or more!
I didn't use a lawyer and took care of it myself. You have to prove their worth first. Mine listed on Alamy have commercial prices listed with them. All of my photos posted on Flickr have large copyright watermarks on them. People have copied those and erased the watermarks before, including one that was used as a logo on all of their commercial web pages! That one ended up negotiating to buy a license to continue using them.
Anyone who ever posts their images online should do a reverse Google Image Search on them to see who is using their stuff from time to time.

I didn't use a lawyer and took care of it myself. You have to prove their worth first. Mine listed on Alamy have commercial prices listed with them. All of my photos posted on Flickr have large copyright watermarks on them. People have copied those and erased the watermarks before, including one that was used as a logo on all of their commercial web pages! That one ended up negotiating to buy a license to continue using them.
Anyone who ever posts their images online should do a reverse Google Image Search on them to see who is using their stuff from time to time.
Proving their worth is irrelevant when you get a copyright law firm involved. The damages for copyright infringement are statutory. It's a huge business for both the lawyers and the copyright holders, who salt the mines with their works!

Proving their worth is irrelevant when you get a copyright law firm involved. The damages for copyright infringement are statutory. It's a huge business for both the lawyers and the copyright holders, who salt the mines with their works!
Only if it is a registered copyright you are partly right, there are statutory fines and the copyright office gets involved, but damages are also awarded as documented by the owner. If the copyright owner did not register the copyright, there are no statutory fines and it becomes a civil matter in which the owner has to be able to show damages.

This explains when and how statutory fines are applied to one’s work; look at the answer to the question

“Why should I register my work if copyright protection is automatic?“

And for those interested in registering their US copyrighted works, use this link:

Last edited:
Only if it is a registered copyright you are partly right, there are statutory fines and the copyright office gets involved, but damages are also awarded as documented by the owner. If the copyright owner did not register the copyright, there are no statutory fines and it becomes a civil matter in which the owner has to be able to show damages.

This explains when and how statutory fines are applied to one’s work; look at the answer to the question

And for those interested in registering their US copyrighted works, use this link:

All correct.

Under the scam I was illustrating, where the photographer teams up with a copyright trolling attorney, and freely uploads the bait images to the internet, without the copyright mark, the images have all been previously registered in bulk by the attorney, and are also offered through stock agencies with the watermark on the sample image.

It's a great business model for a photographer who can't sell his stock images! He makes money having them "stolen" by potentially innocent users, who assume it is copyright free and in the public domain, and they are then also accused of removing the watermark from the free sample stock image, demonstrating bad faith theft, rather than innocent use, increasing the statutory damages.

If you are a web designer using images, make sure you have written proof that the client supplied the images, or a receipt for purchase of each of the images used from a stock agency! Otherwise, you'll be on the hook, because you can't prove the legitimate source, and the client will claim you supplied the stolen images! Happened to a close friend! On a $1000 website update from 5 years ago, as the web designer, he got sued for $25,000 because the client pointed the finger at him, for the copyright theft they were being sued for! Luckily, he found the incriminating email from the client, stating to use the enclosed images, and he was dismissed from the lawsuit! Client had to pay well over $25,000 for stealing an image that would have cost only $25 to license legally!

Last edited:
All correct.
Under the scam I was illustrating, where the photographer teams up with a copyright trolling attorney, the bait images the photographer will freely upload to the internet, without the copyright mark, have all been previously registered in bulk by the attorney, and are also offered through stock agencies with the watermark on the sample image. It's a great business model for a photographer who can't sell his stock images! He makes money having them "stolen" by potentially innocent users, who assume it is copyright free and in the public domain, and they are then also accused of removing the watermark from the free sample stock image, demonstrating bad faith theft, rather than innocent use, increasing the statutory damages. If you are a web designer using images, make sure you have written proof that the client supplied the images, or a receipt for purchase of each of the images from a stock agency! Otherwise, you'll be on the hook because you can't prove the legitimate source, and the client will claim you supplied the images! Happened to a close friend! On a $1000 website update from 5 years ago, he got sued for $25,000 because the client pointed the finger at him for copyright theft! Luckily, he found the incriminating email from the client, stating to use the enclosed images! Client had to pay the $25,000 for using an image that would have cost $25 to license legally!
Oh man, that is a really sad business model. I’ve only done it myself when it was blatant that they cut out my large copyright notice that was on the image, and Flickr is full of pirates that do exactly what you’re talking about. As for those lawyers, OK I have used these lawyers once for a collections company that kept robocalling my phone to collect money from someone who didn’t own my new phone number anymore. They ended up having to pay $500 per robocall, and they made over 12 documented robocalls within one month!

Back on topic, photographers definitely have to protect their works they are trying to sell or simply display on line, even here! Really, how many photos and large files posted on this site have any sort of watermarks on them? They would be very easy to pirate if someone wanted to use them. I use Google reverse image search and TinEye on about a monthly basis just to check to see if anyone is using my stuff.

Last edited:

Thanks for posting these links.
Blue skies.

Reactions: AMann
Oh man, that is a really sad business model. I’ve only done it myself when it was blatant that they cut out my large copyright notice that was on the image, and Flickr is full of pirates that do exactly what you’re talking about. As for those lawyers, OK I have used these lawyers once for a collections company that kept calling my phone to collect money from someone who didn’t own my new phone number anymore. They ended up having to pay $500 per call, and they made over 12 documented calls within one month!

Back on topic, photographers definitely have to protect their works they are trying to sell or simply display on line, even here! Really, how many photos and large files posted on this site have any sort of watermarks on them? They would be very easy to pirate if someone wanted to use them. I use Google reverse image search and TinEye on about a monthly basis just to check to see if anyone is using my stuff.
Basically, anything you post on the internet is fair game for theft, with or without a copyright watermark. It's validation of your talent! It was good enough for them to want to steal it. Just keep on shooting, and don't post the best stuff! It's a cost of doing business, like "shrinkage" from the stock room of a business, where more stuff is stolen out the back door than the front door!

Reactions: AMann
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan