DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

When flying, how do you deal with your "Monkey Mind"

Crouching Leopard

Reactions
Definately an odd topic for a drone forum, but in many ways quite appropriate. A few days ago, and as someone who practices mindfulness, it came to me whilst I was flying my drone for fun, that I was really thinking about, at least for a few seconds, was looking forward to a nice cool drink when I got home (100F degree afternoon). It then struck me that, so many times when flying, my mind drifts for a few seconds, to other things. That phone call I have to make, issues within the family, an overseas trip that I must do but don't want to do etc. Mindfulness awareness has taught me to pull myself back into focus on what I am doing in that moment, ie flying, but that in itself takes months of self awareness training to do. It does not come naturally.

Tony Kerns Model of Airmanship includes the bedrock principle of knowledge of ones self including mental state to achieve full situational awareness Drone flying requires focus and attention on what you are doing, but all humans suffer from "Monkey Mind". So how do other pilots deal with this, or are they even aware it is happening whilst they are in the air. Thinking about it, this perhaps answers some of the "pilot error" that can so often lead to crashes and accidents.

Causes of the Monkey Mind
Quote from a mindfulness website "Consider that we humans have around fifty thousand separate thoughts each day, many of them on the same topic. Under the conscious spark of awareness, we are accompanied by the ego – the chattering monkey of our internal monologue. With the noise of this monkey going on, it becomes near on impossible to be present and focused on the moment we are in. Instead we are carried away through the treetops! Because of our innate capacity for thinking, it is easy for the Monkey Mind to feed on stimuli.

When we give our attention to too many things at once, spend our lives rushing from one appointment to another and focus on what we are yet to do instead of what we are currently doing, these are like dozens of trees with enticing fruit for our monkey to chase."

So, my point of discussion is:

1 Do members admit to having "Monkey mind". My psychologist friend says we all have it, its just whether or not we recognise or admit to it
2 How do we deal with it when we are flying what is after all a heavy weight hurtling around the skies at a speed which could cause loss or damage to the drone, or damage to persons / property

This is just for fun, but members answers would no doubt be interesting and possibly educational.

Last edited:
My answer to 2) is not to fly in such places or concentrate on the drone if I do (transient passage only)

My answer to 2) is not to fly in such places or concentrate on the drone if I do (transient passage only)
Thanks for responding. Very valuable answer and one well worth taking note of. I fly by the same rules as you stated. It shows that, you / I are fully in tune with our situational awareness. I find there is a maximum period for flying beyond which my concentration starts to drift. For me, that's when its time to pack up and go home.

Last edited:
Interesting. I find that during the course of the day this is very true. While at work I have to multitask to the extreme and it can be difficult to stay focused. But honestly with you mentioning this phenomenon I can say while flying my drone I stay very focused, you see it's my escape from all the pressures I deal with, not to mention what's going on in the world on any newsfeed at any given time. I really think this must be the reason I've been hooked on the art of flying for so long in my life.

I don't know about everyone else, but when I'm flying 100% of my attention is on flying. Nothing else.

If makes you feel any more comfortable in your heat, today will be 16°F. Wanna trade?

Interesting. I find that during the course of the day this is very true. While at work I have to multitask to the extreme and it can be difficult to stay focused. But honestly with you mentioning this phenomenon I can say while flying my drone I stay very focused, you see it's my escape from all the pressures I deal with, not to mention what's going on in the world on any newsfeed at any given time. I really think this must be the reason I've been hooked on the art of flying for so long in my life.
Thank you so much for responding. I love your answer. Not being some kind of evangalist but I also find that the mindfulness training I went through after suffering severe PTSD has helped my flying by allowing me to recognise when I am not 100% on the job. My flying also helped me tremendously with my PTSD and also surviving Melbournes worlds longest lockdowns and curfews. My motto became "they can lock down the ground but they cant lock down the sky".

CL. I’m a novice pilot with about 114 hours time so far. I thought about monkey mind and payed close attention to the last four battery runs. I can safely say that 100% of attention was on flight, now and in the past. Too scared to think about anything else. Possibly after a few hundred hours, complacency/inattention could creep in. Or, at age 70 my mind could start slowing down. Prevagen anyone?At least now I’m thinking about it. Thanks.

Thanks for the replies so far. Very interesting and educational.

Monkey mind can sometimes be thoughts that you are not aware of and that have pulled you away from your main thought objective. They are your sub conscious mind tugging at your conscious mind. Kind of driving down a wrong road because you were subconsciously distracted by something unusual down another road, then suddenly you have to put yourself back on course and in the mean time you went through a red light or over the speed limit.

A good example was alluded to by Dr. Tony Kern in a statement on how he became involved in aviation psychology:

"My quest for understanding human performance began in tragedy, when two of my former students crashed a perfectly functioning B-1 Bomber into a ridgeline on a moonless night in 1992."

I believe the cause was eventually judged as pilot error due to lack of focus.

So part of my post was, not reading manuals and doing stupid stuff aside, could monkey mind be at least one reason why there are so many drone crashes or incidences involving pilot error.

A difficult question to answer, but one perhaps worth thinking about every time we take off especially for the less experienced pilots, or those that don't fly so often because of work or other commitments.

Last edited:
Good morning to all-
Interesting topic.
Focus of attention when I'm flying my drones seems to be present, but I must admit, there are times when I see/hear/feel something that takes my attention from the screen and the drone feed.
In particular, seeing an eagle soaring far above where my drone is flying- that got my attention. Hearing a pack of lose-running dogs barking and growling behind me- that got my attention. Finally, discovering that I have been standing on top of a fire ant nest and the nasty little buggers are demanding that I leave in emphatic terms- that absolutely got my attention.
But in all cases, I let the drone hover and take of itself while I dealt with the distractions.
By the way, of the three distractions named here, the eagle was by far the most distracting- watching that master of the air fly put my own efforts to shame. When I can get my drone to fly like the eagle, then I'll be something to consider and probably a distraction myself.

good day to all- Ed

I am not trying to be dismissive of anyones’ issues but this seems to me to be a matter of focussing and paying attention to the task at hand. This is why some people can drive well and others crash into things and wonder why. If you are prioritizing your thoughts then the one on top of the list should be the drone and I am sorry but, just like driving any other vehicle, there is no room for someone who is not paying full attention to what they are doing. If you are prone to daydreaming while doing critical tasks then maybe drone piloting, and maybe driving, are something to steer clear of until you can focus. Being distracted by dogs or fire ants is different. That isn’t “monkey mind”.

Mike

Reactions: ICHOTT
I usually am shooting video when I fly, and find that the POV evolving image is totally engaging. Always watching and responding, with a vision of what the video will be.

Reactions: ICHOTT
The definition of multitask? The human mind switches thoughts, but can not multitask.

The only thing I think about when flying is "OMG! Don't let it fly away!" or "OMG! Don't crash it!" or "OMG! Did I get enough footage!" or "OMG! Is that a redneck with a shotgun aiming at my drone?". :)

The only thing I think about when flying is "OMG! Don't let it fly away!" or "OMG! Don't crash it!" or "OMG! Did I get enough footage!" or "OMG! Is that a redneck with a shotgun aiming at my drone?". :)
Agreed! If you are not able to focus on flying for a mere 20 minutes then you should not be flying.

There is so much going on with the drone to be paying attention to that I just can’t imagine my thoughts just wandering off to something else while flying. I am also the guy that WILL NOT use my cel while driving.

Mike

Reactions: ICHOTT and NAVMAV
Hi C.L.,
I like your post. As far as mindfulness and meditation practice, it is a lifetime endeavour. Just knowing or catching yourself thinking of anything but flying when you are flying is being mindful. The more times you catch your mind wondering, the tamer your monkey mind will become and your focus will get stronger because of that. I’ve been practicing mindfulness and meditation for 5 years now and I still have a monkey mind. Lol….. but I enjoy the practice.
Cheers,
Rex

really think your mind doesn't wander and you can stay focussed for 20 minutes. Sit in a darkened room and stare at a candle for 20 minutes without thinking of anything else but the candle. Tell me other thoughts don't drift into your head. Unless you are mindful of what you're thinking, there will certainly be times your mind loses focus ever so briefly without you realizing it. To exclude all the random thoughts of your brain is one of the hardest things for people to do. Are you a danger flying whenever this happens? I don't believe so because it is so fleeting that most people don't realize it's happening.

really think your mind doesn't wander and you can stay focussed for 20 minutes. Sit in a darkened room and stare at a candle for 20 minutes without thinking of anything else but the candle. Tell me other thoughts don't drift into your head. Unless you are mindful of what you're thinking, there will certainly be times your mind loses focus ever so briefly without you realizing it. To exclude all the random thoughts of your brain is one of the hardest things for people to do. Are you a danger flying whenever this happens? I don't believe so because it is so fleeting that most people don't realize it's happening.
That seems like an odd test. When flying or driving there are multiple things you are focusing on to perform the task. When staring at the candle there is one thing. The mind is easily bored so trying to focus on one thing like the candle is much more dificult than focusing on flying that has multiple stimuli. That and when flying there is risk so it is important for you to focus so you do. With the candle it is your choice to focus, it is boring, so you don’t.

Mike

Edit: I ride motorcycles so I have a hard time understanding how anyone can not be mindful of what they are doing for a mere 20 minutes.

Reactions: MavicAir2Marc
That seems like an odd test. When flying or driving there are multiple things you are focusing on to perform the task. When staring at the candle there is one thing. The mind is easily bored so trying to focus on one thing like the candle is much more dificult than focusing on flying that has multiple stimuli. That and when flying there is risk so it is important for you to focus so you do. With the candle it is your choice to focus, it is boring, so you don’t.

Mike

Edit: I ride motorcycles so I have a hard time understanding how anyone can not be mindful of what they are doing for a mere 20 minutes.
That's a good point, but you aren't just focussing on one thing while flying a drone (or driving or riding a motorcycle). So your focus is spread out over multiple things jumping from one to another which feeds your "monkey mind". To me, situational awareness and adjusting to a continually changing scenario is not focus as much as continual adaptation. Semantics to be sure but peoples definition of focus may vary according to the person. To me, flying a drone is right up the "monkey mind's" alley for what it does. It will occasionally wander to other things other than the flight (as mentioned before) such as approaching people or animals or any other stimulus that invades our awareness. That's a built-in protection mechanism of humans. Still, the occasional mind drifting while flying is still no danger because it returns so quickly to the task at hand.

That's a good point, but you aren't just focussing on one thing while flying a drone (or driving or riding a motorcycle). So your focus is spread out over multiple things jumping from one to another which feeds your "monkey mind". To me, situational awareness and adjusting to a continually changing scenario is not focus as much as continual adaptation. Semantics to be sure but peoples definition of focus may vary according to the person. To me, flying a drone is right up the "monkey mind's" alley for what it does. It will occasionally wander to other things other than the flight (as mentioned before) such as approaching people or animals or any other stimulus that invades our awareness. That's a built-in protection mechanism of humans. Still, the occasional mind drifting while flying is still no danger because it returns so quickly to the task at hand.
I’ll agree with that. What I was having issues about is the post mentioning this Monkey Mind causing them to be distracted from driving to the point of going down the wrong road and running redlights. That terrifies me!

Mike

Reactions: MavicAir2Marc
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair