DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

When flying, how do you deal with your "Monkey Mind"

Also a novice flyer. My mind is still a bit in the paranoia spectrum, “what if I hit an unseen object, what if the drone fails while flying over that cliff (extreme examples)”. But the paranoia is mitigated by trying to get the best angle for a shot, or trying to get the smoothest video capture of subject matter, etc. I’m a photographer first, pilot second.

So I guess I’m saying that paranoia and creativity keeps my mind 100% on the task at hand.

Also a novice flyer. My mind is still a bit in the paranoia spectrum, “what if I hit an unseen object, what if the drone fails while flying over that cliff (extreme examples)”. But the paranoia is mitigated by trying to get the best angle for a shot, or trying to get the smoothest video capture of subject matter, etc. I’m a photographer first, pilot second.

So I guess I’m saying that paranoia and creativity keeps my mind 100% on the task at hand.
That's exactly what this phenomenon is, unwanted anxietys and other subconcious thoughts creeping in, and an excellent example of how to stay focused.

I stay focused by knowing its happening and also by paranoia and creativity.

Reactions: Paul Stocum

An interesting read, if you have the time Why you (probably) won’t finish reading this story

I'm amused by the concept of concentrating 100% on flying the drone - that in itself requires a continual scanning of the controls, any interface for battery, GPs, visual or other positional information, the drone itself for VLOS and checking direction and flight stability, the skies around for any aircraft, birds, the surroundings for pedestrians, vehicles, checking any breeze or wind that's present, and generally for any factors that could affect your 'task'. There's a lot there and your mind will constantly be flitting between all these, and if it can cope withn that, the odd excursion into consdering a drink on a hot day (although that would qualify as maintaining pilot integrity :D) or other thoughts are probably not going tom detract significantly from focus on the task while everything is proceeding as expected and there's unlikely to be a problem in the next half a second.

I think it would be different if something arose that changed "situation normal" - I would wager that focus would sharply reduce to just those factors one needed to deal with to maintain control of the flight/task.

The mind is an amazing thing and not fully understood...

Reactions: Crouching Leopard
I'm amused by the concept of concentrating 100% on flying the drone - that in itself requires a continual scanning of the controls, any interface for battery, GPs, visual or other positional information, the drone itself for VLOS and checking direction and flight stability, the skies around for any aircraft, birds, the surroundings for pedestrians, vehicles, checking any breeze or wind that's present, and generally for any factors that could affect your 'task'. There's a lot there and your mind will constantly be flitting between all these, and if it can cope withn that, the odd excursion into consdering a drink on a hot day (although that would qualify as maintaining pilot integrity :D) or other thoughts are probably not going tom detract significantly from focus on the task while everything is proceeding as expected and there's unlikely to be a problem in the next half a second.

I think it would be different if something arose that changed "situation normal" - I would wager that focus would sharply reduce to just those factors one needed to deal with to maintain control of the flight/task.

The mind is an amazing thing and not fully understood...
Agreed, but in those fleeting moments things go wrong, that's when fear and anxiety can also come in because you don't really know how to use find my drone, or are flying over a group of trees and auto land kicks in for some reason, or you get an erroneous OA warning at 400 feet . That's when mental discipline is really tested.😂

Reactions: KristofferR
I stay aware of my own thought processes, and when necessary engage my Border Collie mind.

I strongly relate to dogs, which is why my online persona is an anthropomorphic Border Collie. The "real thing" is a marvel of focus and intensity that I try to emulate when concentration is needed.

It's simply not possible to screen out every stray thought. Our brains aren't made that way. But after a great deal of practice I'm usually able to herd the strays into a flock that stays where it belongs (or goes where I guide it) and doesn't scatter all over the place, and that's good enough.

Now, if only my aircraft would respond to The Eye…

Turns out I can use The Eye in real-world human form. I've used it several times to make hostile dogs back down instead of attacking me. It's a look that says, "I could use a snack, I'm not intimidated by you, and you look edible. Stay there, I'll be right over." A bluff, of course, but they don't know that.

Woof.

Last edited:
The lack of focus I recognize but never while flying, I get immensely focused and that is one of the reasons I love it. All other thoughts disappear. I have done regular mindfulness and meditation and I find it difficult but rewarding.

I do need tend to run through a list of active thoughts talking inside my head to myself to get the flight right, mainly when starting and landing or when doing something difficult to remind myself. Maybe it is similar in method to what full scale pilots do (I make no claim to know what I’m doing like they do), making sure to loop through some scan sky - check wind - check people - keep speed up - check battery - etc to help stay alert and not get surprised.

I am not yet “ automated “ enough to lose focus while flying but while I’m running my mind often wander anywhere. Like that too. ☺️

The lack of focus I recognize but never while flying, I get immensely focused and that is one of the reasons I love it. All other thoughts disappear. I have done regular mindfulness and meditation and I find it difficult but rewarding.

I do need tend to run through a list of active thoughts talking inside my head to myself to get the flight right, mainly when starting and landing or when doing something difficult to remind myself. Maybe it is similar in method to what full scale pilots do (I make no claim to know what I’m doing like they do), making sure to loop through some scan sky - check wind - check people - keep speed up - check battery - etc to help stay alert and not get surprised.

I am not yet “ automated “ enough to lose focus while flying but while I’m running my mind often wander anywhere. Like that too. ☺️
Many researchers believe "Monkey Mind" is what helped us to survive and develop as a species, as it pr-prepared us for what ""might" happen in the future by running over what did happen in the past.

It helps me by making me think all the lessons I have learnt whilst flying, and how to avoid future mishaps.

My personal "learning type" is mainly that of "experience". I learn far more from practicing and experiencing things than just reading about them. That's just the way I am ""built". When flying, Monkey mind for me means I am always subconsciously trying to be one step ahead of the flight by re-running previous experiences "ïn the moment", both good and bad.

I also do regular meditation and mindfulness. It is difficult, but I can tell the difference in my life.

Last edited:
In short: Easily.

Longer answer:
I don't give that monkey permission to focus on other things than those related to flying drone.
Though some degree of Asperger might be helping in that...
Anyway flying drone has plenty of interesting things to stay focused on.

And certainly wouldn't go through filing official flight plan for no reason.
Joys of living under ADIZ...
FlightPlan 2201#.JPG

Automobiles, OTOH only have forward and rearward motion.
From Finnish perspective that sounds like driving train...
Right now with snow and ice melting+road getting soft/sloppy it's about all six degrees of freedom in smaller scale.
(for bicycling try to keep it couple degrees less)

Though gotta admit some roads are just plain boring in summer conditions.

I find that flying takes my thoughts off of anything else happening in my life - I think that it why I have built up 1,200 miles and 80 hours!

I find that flying takes my thoughts off of anything else happening in my life - I think that it why I have built up 1,200 miles and 80 hours!
Well done. Yes, flying does make you concentrate more on being mentally "in the moment", rather than allow your mind to drift from one loose and random thought to another. When you start working life, than can be a valuable advantage in your career. When I first started working, I was a radar engineer and you certainly needed to be in the moment for that otherwise you got hit with a couple thousand volts just to remind you. I had a friend who mentally "drifted" for just a moment and his tie was cut in half by a 120,000 volt bolt of "lightening" inside a cabinet. He certainly stayed in the moment after that!!🤣

Reactions: Mavic Merrick
I believe driving is far more dangerous than piloting a small drone. I have known several people who have died in car accidents, and while I'm aware that death is a possibility in drone accidents, it remains a much more remote possibility than death on our highways. True, drones are much less common and have accumulated much less historical data than cars, but still...

I take both flying and driving seriously, and keep my mind on the task at hand. But it's also important not to focus too narrowly on one aspect of the task, but to contiuously scan the whole area for threats that may approach from any direction, as well as keeping an eye on the instruments.

I think it's easy to become complacent with a familiar task, and for many of us, driving is perhaps too familiar, while flying is novel enough to naturally cause us to pay attention. I have less trouble staying alert while flying than while driving. On the other hand, my flying skills are less fully developed than my driving skills. When flying, I still sometimes think about moving the sticks, rather than thinking about moving the vehicle and letting my hands automatically manipulate the controls as needed.

If your thoughts drift to other subjects whilst casually flying your drone then it’s because you are flying it casually!

It’s not a toy, it’s a flying object . . .

Having said that, even when flying casually, you ought to have a purpose in mind, videoing, exploring, getting it back ie why is it even in the air?

So the answer? Have a reason to fly or don’t!

Reactions: EsaT
If your thoughts drift to other subjects whilst casually flying your drone then it’s because you are flying it casually!

It’s not a toy, it’s a flying object . . .

Having said that, even when flying casually, you ought to have a purpose in mind, videoing, exploring, getting it back ie why is it even in the air?

So the answer? Have a reason to fly or don’t!
Honestly, most of the time I am flying for the sake of it. I find it fun just to get in the air and fly around.

Honestly, most of the time I am flying for the sake of it. I find it fun just to get in the air and fly around.
I find flying is freedom. I have a friend who flies a kite. People ask him why a grown man flies a kite. His answer is it makes him look up into the sky and see the sun and the clouds and the birds, rather than just look down at the ground and see nothing but dirt.

Definately an odd topic for a drone forum, but in many ways quite appropriate. A few days ago, and as someone who practices mindfulness, it came to me whilst I was flying my drone for fun, that I was really thinking about, at least for a few seconds, was looking forward to a nice cool drink when I got home (100F degree afternoon). It then struck me that, so many times when flying, my mind drifts for a few seconds, to other things. That phone call I have to make, issues within the family, an overseas trip that I must do but don't want to do etc. Mindfulness awareness has taught me to pull myself back into focus on what I am doing in that moment, ie flying, but that in itself takes months of self awareness training to do. It does not come naturally.

Tony Kerns Model of Airmanship includes the bedrock principle of knowledge of ones self including mental state to achieve full situational awareness Drone flying requires focus and attention on what you are doing, but all humans suffer from "Monkey Mind". So how do other pilots deal with this, or are they even aware it is happening whilst they are in the air. Thinking about it, this perhaps answers some of the "pilot error" that can so often lead to crashes and accidents.

Causes of the Monkey Mind
Quote from a mindfulness website "Consider that we humans have around fifty thousand separate thoughts each day, many of them on the same topic. Under the conscious spark of awareness, we are accompanied by the ego – the chattering monkey of our internal monologue. With the noise of this monkey going on, it becomes near on impossible to be present and focused on the moment we are in. Instead we are carried away through the treetops! Because of our innate capacity for thinking, it is easy for the Monkey Mind to feed on stimuli.

When we give our attention to too many things at once, spend our lives rushing from one appointment to another and focus on what we are yet to do instead of what we are currently doing, these are like dozens of trees with enticing fruit for our monkey to chase."

So, my point of discussion is:

1 Do members admit to having "Monkey mind". My psychologist friend says we all have it, its just whether or not we recognise or admit to it
2 How do we deal with it when we are flying what is after all a heavy weight hurtling around the skies at a speed which could cause loss or damage to the drone, or damage to persons / property

This is just for fun, but members answers would no doubt be interesting and possibly educational.
My mind only has two modes when I am flying. 1) Find the shot, 2) Make the shot. Lather, rinse and repeat. I find I get in "the zone" and it becomes a very Zen like place with few distractions.

Reactions: Flashheart
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twistedpair