DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Where On Earth Is The Mavic 2?

Actually the winners HAVE received their drones as of about a week ago. I'm a member of Autel groups and they have been flying and reviewing them all week
Do you have any links to the reviews?
I have read that Autel took away the 900mhz band and therefore the range is nowhere what is was supposed to be.

seems that DJI will get new competition, Parrot Anafi (not my video, just found it on YT):

Never thought I would ever look at Parrot again: I was flying Bebop1 & Bebop2 before I changed to DJI Mavic Pro last summer: the Mavic Pro video quality simply blown me away! Bebop quality was at best "acceptable" when flying in really good light conditions. Somebody here in the forum described the Mavic Pro video as a "wounded soldier in a critical situation": I guess he never experienced Parrot Bebop (1 or 2) video "quality" ;-)

Now the Parrot Anafi seems to be capable to film in d-log as well (saw it in another video), and offers "theoretical" loss-less zoom due to the 21mp sensor, 4K HDR video. Not sure if I like HDR video, but maybe this move by Parrot will make DJI reconsider their plans (if any are around) when to upgrade the Mavic Pro..?
Geeze....That thing looks INCREDIBLY cheap. It looks like one of those toy $50 quads you can buy on Banggood.

Geeze....That thing looks INCREDIBLY cheap. It looks like one of those toy $50 quads you can buy on Banggood.
your right, don't like it as well (especially the gimbal design), but to be honest:at first I didn't like the Mavic Pro design as well, Parrot Bebop2 was so much nicer in that respect (my kids are still complaining that I sold the Bebop2 for that "grey ugly new bird"), but video quality of the Bebop2 was really bad!

But despite from the design I guess the Anafi will attract new buyers, nevertheless from the feature list (zoom, absence of No-Fly Zones, 21 MP sensor). Especially the 21MP sensor makes me think that this should be possible for a new Pro 2 as well, without making a new version bigger and heavier: the Anafi has a slightly bigger sensor while having less weight than the Mavic Pro (and even the Air). So I hope (my personal wish) a (possible) new Mavic Pro 2 will be lighter, and not heavier as the rumours from the last months keep telling us..

your right, don't like it as well (especially the gimbal design), but to be honest:at first I didn't like the Mavic Pro design as well, Parrot Bebop2 was so much nicer in that respect (my kids are still complaining that I sold the Bebop2 for that "grey ugly new bird"), but video quality of the Bebop2 was really bad!

But despite from the design I guess the Anafi will attract new buyers, nevertheless from the feature list (zoom, absence of No-Fly Zones, 21 MP sensor). Especially the 21MP sensor makes me think that this should be possible for a new Pro 2 as well, without making a new version bigger and heavier: the Anafi has a slightly bigger sensor while having less weight than the Mavic Pro (and even the Air). So I hope (my personal wish) a (possible) new Mavic Pro 2 will be lighter, and not heavier as the rumours from the last months keep telling us..
The arms look like molded plastic. The controller looks like the one I have for an old $25 Quadcopter I got from banggood four years ago.
If it's going to cost $600+ it should feel like a quality product. The camera alone is not going to make this thing sell.
Also, I seriously doubt there will be a mavic pro 2. If dji were going to make one, they would have done so by now. The pro came out in 2016.
The Mavic AIR is the "new mavic". Dji will probably make a pro version it. Add sensors, a better camera etc.
The pro is to fragile. The gimbal, the arms....

You may hate me for saying this, but I don't want to see a Mavic Pro II anytime soon. The new hasn't worn-off yet and I just purchased my Mavic Pro on March 14th 2018. I have only 40 flights since. I checked the manufactured date as being August 17, 2017 of when my Mavic Pro was manufactured. August 7th, 2017 being battery date manufactured.

I like to know that I'm flying the best drone, and if DJI releases the Mavic Pro II then it'll upset me somewhat because the original Mavic Pro will be considered old technology, not that it won't still be awesome.

You may hate me for saying this, but I don't want to see a Mavic Pro II anytime soon. The new hasn't worn-off yet and I just purchased my Mavic Pro on March 14th 2018. I have only 40 flights since. I checked the manufactured date as being August 17, 2017 of when my Mavic Pro was manufactured. August 7th, 2017 being battery date manufactured.

I like to know that I'm flying the best drone, and if DJI releases the Mavic Pro II then it'll upset me somewhat because the original Mavic Pro will be considered old technology, not that it won't still be awesome.

Why thought? It won’t change your situation one bit.

This explains why we haven't seen it.
dt180609-gif.39795

DJI quads are now like Apple Iphones. Both have dominated/monopolised the market and therefore there is no need for them to release a new version every year. It will just cannibalize their own sales. DJI will follow in Apple footsteps and add "S" variants that have slight improvements, like we have seen in the Mavic Air. I am sure that there is a Sandisk 400 Terrabyte micro SD card with a 1000mb transfer rate in their inventory as we speak but they will never release until their sales have dropped or is faced with competition. Look at the graphics card market - The Nvidia 10XX series and AMD RX5XX are over 2 years old and obsolete. Due to the coin-mining the cards are worth twice as much as there has been a world wide shortage. Both AMD and NVIDIA are laughing all the way to the bank whilst withholding the next gen cards and probably colluding with each other to find the most optimal profitable time to release.

DJI has also learnt from their mistakes. Look what DJI did to its frenemy GoPro. GoPro brought fear into DJI by rumour wheeling a folding drone. Not knowing how "good" GoPro's drone was, DJI reacted and launched the Mavic around the same time. DJI's mistake was it put all its tech into the Mavic with a very good price point to kill GoPro. What DJI didnt realise was now they had set a new benchmark for drones at an affordable price and possibly shot themselves in foot at the same time. The demand for the Mavic Pro was insane, some offering their left nut while others were giving up 2.

Anyways, if i was a market leader, I would behave no different.

Reactions: Greg Smithski
There is still room for a better performing drone at an affordable price. Make a better looking drone without a fragile gimbal. Marry a sporty drone, in a 4k hdr with lossless zoom, a better controller with better position buttons and programmable, a better display that shows all sides distance and framework where a person can easily maneuver around objects by looking at the screen only. Make a techy drone for the mass like the iphone and Samsung. Let the competition begin.

I've got $1200 cash in my sock drawer for just such an occasion. Looks like I need to sock away another $100-$200 and start saving for accessories and extra batteries. (Shhhh.... don't tell the wife).

I hope it's not too much bigger in over-all size.

giphy.gif

Reactions: Hauptmann
I think there will be Mavic Pro 2 in Q2 or Q3. If you read news about DJI and understand their strategy, they always want to accelerate the new product update cycle to leave competitors behind and break their own shell. There are enough new features to bring out a new Mavic Pro.

the mavic is nowhere near as good as a full frame DSLR camera in still or video quality - if you want/need these attributes in your camera go buy a higher spec drone and put a red epic on it and you too can brag about your image quality.

Last time I checked the red epic has dropped from US$39 000 to US$25 000 so you are up for a bargain! bring your own lens though.

Put plainly, the mavic pro is a basic flying camera - if its not enough for you then put your hand in your pocket and hope that its deep.

Whenever it comes out, I would let others be the beta testers and not buy for a while.

Been a beta tester since I bought my first DJI drone and not gonna stop now .
Count me in for one if/when one does come out .

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
odofi