DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Which app to use?

macoman

Reactions
I have been searching the internet to see if I can find an app that can tell me if I can or not fly. I have airmap installed but only give u info on the rules. It doesn't tell u if you can fly or not. Which is app is the best to provide a direct response where u are located?

B4UFly will give you maps and associated flight restrictions for a location that you are planning on flying.
It is kind of crappy the app... 1.7 starts in the Google store but at least it warning me that I am within 5 miles of an airport.

Agreed, but that’s what I need to know the most personally. Distance from airports helipads and hospitals.
Agreed, unlike airmap that only give info of the rules and the objects around. B4fly tells me that I need contact the airport first. I do not see that in airmap that warning.

Reactions: ksmusa
Agreed, unlike airmap that only give info of the rules and the objects around. B4fly tells me that I need contact the airport first. I do not see that in airmap that warning.
Airmap has that information... Just tap the map on one of the restricted flight radius circles to bring up the airport/helipad info - with phone numbers to contact.

Reactions: WAXMAN
Thanks. I have downloaded this app and the warnings appear to be accurate for my location.

Attachments

• 0FC3DCF6-8FCD-4B43-AE06-66677D3B351C.png
    0FC3DCF6-8FCD-4B43-AE06-66677D3B351C.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 115
  • DD76B256-55EC-4ABE-B4DA-DA155145E201.png
    DD76B256-55EC-4ABE-B4DA-DA155145E201.png
    7 MB · Views: 115
UAV Forcast will not only give you wind and weather conditions in one easy screen, it will give you a map of all restrictions and airports where you can and cannot fly. You can adjust the parameters to your rules as well.

UAV Forcast will not only give you wind and weather conditions in one easy screen, it will give you a map of all restrictions and airports where you can and cannot fly. You can adjust the parameters to your rules as well.

Yes, I'm a fan. Checking UAV Forecast is on my pre-flight checklist. Also scoping out the local airspace via Flightradar24 because I fly in a fairly congested air traffic area.

Reactions: DroneTraveller
I just downloaded uav forecast. Thanks for the info.

I usually use AirMap (seems more accurate for fly zones), but give a look also to UAV Forecast (good for local forecast and wind profile) and DroneBuddy. Try Windy if you are interested only in weather forecast. You can see on the map wind direction, clouds movements, rain, snow and much more. Just slide the timeline to see how they change today or in the next days

I use UAV all the time coupled with an anemometer to confirm winds peed (£3 off Wish) and flightradar24 if I intend going over 30m altitude.
Just remember line of sight.

For me it depends on what mode I'm flying in. If I'm flying Part 101 I use UAVforecast because I can see if I'm within 5 miles of an airport and I can also set the parameters for distance and weather. Then I check for TFRs.

If I'm flying Part 107 then I use Garmin Pilot (paid app) to get the info on airspaces and weather.

Keep in mind, if flying 101, pretty much the only rules are not in TFR, notify within 5 miles of airport, and not above 400 AGL at all. For part 107, you need to be in G airspace or have permission from ATC, 3 SM vis, not in TFR, stay below 400' unless within 400' of structure, 500' below clouds, and only during daylight or civil twilight without a waiver. With part 107, I want actual FAA airspace and weather info because if something goes sideways, that's what they expect you to use.

I have experimented with a few apps but still have yet to find one that's free that rolls everything into one and does it all well. The closest I've found is Garmin Pilot or Foreflight but they are paid apps.

All in what you want to do and what you're willing to pay for.

Buy an aeronautical chart for your area. If you’re in the us, the cost, about $12. The information you can learn, priceless.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SK farming