DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Which iPad as display?

Glennyboy

Reactions
Hey guys. I've got my first MP en route in the post and am wondering what iPad will be best to use with it. I have an old iPad 3 64gb but was thinking that a newer model may work better especially as software updates and the speed of processor will be better for screen rendering etc
I see many use iPad mini's.
So my question really is which iPad (mini or full size?) and which model (wifi or cellular?) and which size memory (16/32/64/128?) would be sufficient and most use?
I'm not sure if the iPad uses memory to record data whilst in flight or is that stored onboard the MP?
I have an iPhone but really want a bigger screen.
Thanks all, your help and advice is greatly appreciated.

I got an iPad mini 4, wifi, no cellular, screen had to much glare, even with DJI shield, so got an antiglare screen protector for it. With wifi only, need to make sure you have your map catches before flying. There are some good vids and post about using it.

I have an old iPad 3 64gb but was thinking that a newer model may work better especially as software updates and the speed of processor will be better for screen rendering etc
Your iPad is too old to run DJI GO 4. You'll need to use one of the Apple devices from this list.

which iPad (mini or full size?)
This is really a personal preference. If you've never seen both in person, then you should go to a store that sells them and check them out. The bonus of going with an iPad Mini 2/3/4 is that it'll fit in the remote controller arms (assuming you don't mind having a tablet wedged between your arms as you're flying).

If you decide to go with a full size iPad, you'll need a tablet mount to mount it on the remote controller. Here are some commonly used tablet mounts:

which model (wifi or cellular?)
Cellular models contain a GPS receiver. With a GPS receiver on your mobile device, you'll be able to use the Follow Me flight mode and/or be able to manually reset the home point to your current location after taking off (which could be helpful if you move away from the original home point). The GPS receiver will be active even if you decide not to activate the cellular service. With the cellular service activated, you could do things that require an Internet connection -- like downloading the DJI GO maps in real-time (instead of caching them before you go out to fly like this).

If you decide to get a Wi-Fi only device and need to add GPS later, you could connect a Bluetooth GPS receiver to your tablet whenever you need to use GPS. Here are some commonly used Bluetooth GPS receivers:
  • Bad Elf (connects to GPS satellites)
  • Dual (connects to GPS & GLONASS satellites)
  • Dual (connects to GPS satellites)
  • Garmin (connects to GPS & GLONASS satellites)

which size memory (16/32/64/128?) would be sufficient and most use?
16 GB would be plenty of space if you're only going to use the tablet to fly your Mavic. If you're planning on using it for other things and/or know you'll install other apps that require a lot of storage, it would be better to get a tablet that has more memory.

I'm not sure if the iPad uses memory to record data whilst in flight or is that stored onboard the MP?
Full quality photos/videos are always stored on the removable memory card in the Mavic. With the "Cache During Video Shooting" setting enabled in DJI GO (see the screenshot below), you can also store a low quality version of the video on your tablet. That might come in handy in a scenario where you lose your Mavic and need a copy of the video as proof of the flight. It's a lower quality video, so it's probably not something you'd ever want to post on YouTube or share elsewhere.

DJI-GO-Video-Cache.jpg

TXT flight logs will also be stored on your mobile device. DAT flight logs are stored on the non-removable memory card inside of the Mavic. If you ever lose your Mavic, the TXT flight logs will come in handy since you won't be able to access the DAT flight logs.

Last edited:
Wow! Thanks msinger for an amazing reply. You covered everything! If I can pick up an iPad mini 4 cellular cheap enough with 16gb then I think I'll go for that having read all your input. Otherwise am I right thinking I can just tether to my iPhone using a hotspot and get full functionality on the iPad as if it had cellular activated? I have a new 9.7 iPad for everyday use too so don't need the mini for anything else other than flying. Will get an anti glare screen protector too.

am I right thinking I can just tether to my iPhone using a hotspot and get full functionality on the iPad as if it had cellular activated?
That'll share the Internet connection, but it will not share the GPS data.

That'll share the Internet connection, but it will not share the GPS data.

Hmm that's interesting as I always thought it did. Learn something new every day. Thanks so much again that's great. I may use the 'follow me' function at some point so I think cellular seems to be the way to go or I could always use my iPhone I suppose. Good to have choices!
I looked at the dedicated gps devices but I don't think there's a big enough cost difference between wifi and cellular iPads to make a stand alone gps device worth a cost saving.

I looked at the dedicated gps devices but I don't think there's a big enough cost difference between wifi and cellular iPads to make a stand alone gps device worth a cost saving.
It's probably only worth the savings if you buy a cellular Apple device and do not activate the cellular service right away. They are much more expensive when purchased without a cellular plan.

Reactions: Glennyboy
It's probably only worth the savings if you buy a cellular Apple device and do not activate the cellular service right away. They are much more expensive when purchased without a cellular plan.

Absolutely. That's my plan. Just so I have the in built gps for the tracking. Awesome stuff thank you msinger!

Thanks for your great answer - was just going to post this same question! :)

Your iPad is too old to run DJI GO 4. You'll need to use one of the Apple devices from this list.

This is really a personal preference. If you've never seen both in person, then you should go to a store that sells them and check them out. The bonus of going with an iPad Mini 2/3/4 is that it'll fit in the remote controller arms (assuming you don't mind having a tablet wedged between your arms as you're flying).

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kotszamana