DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Which Laptop to use?

Old Man Grizz

Reactions
Howdy Folks, and Good Morning!
I’m an Old Guy that REALLY enjoys my drones....
Unfortunately my Computer Skills are not especially up to Today’s Standard ?
I’m interested in learning to dabble in editing my drone photography. I’m also interested in taking an online class to obtain my Part 107.
What Laptop would you suggest that I check into to use solely for these (and any other drone related things)?
I’m hoping to stay under $1000 if possible...
As always, You Folks are AWESOME! And have always been so helpful and informative!
Thanks for your time,
Old Man Grizz

Reactions: Craig K.
For your budget....

Consider an iPad Pro. Very easy to use. Very portable. Some very good software is available for editing. Lumafusion is a good starter option, and easy to learn also very cheap.

Laptop wise, maybe a Macbook Air, or a second hand Macbook Pro. Again, very easy to use, and good software options available.

Thanks!
I know this is a dumb question, but why wouldn’t I want to use just an IPad ?
I fly with the IPad Mini 5....
Also, how much storage should I be looking for?
Thanks so much for your time!
Old Man Grizz

Reactions: Lastrexking
Thanks!
I know this is a dumb question, but why wouldn’t I want to use just an IPad ?
I fly with the IPad Mini 5....
Also, how much storage should I be looking for?
Thanks so much for your time!
Old Man Grizz

If you already have an iPad, then definitely recommend using that to start to learn editing. Get the LumaFusion app. There’s lots of YouTube tutorials on how to use it.

You might find that suits your needs just fine, if not you can upgrade your equipment.

If you, as you say are going to dabble in some video editing, you have dabbled yourself right into the heavy weight world of storage space, graphics, and processing. Video takes up much storage space, think in TB's, and editing without going to the beach all the time, beach ball from Apple, requires a powerful up to date processor. So my recommendation is an iPad Pro with the biggest screen and most powerful processor you can budget in. Then use iMovie for video editing which comes free with Apple products. Video editing is a lot of fun but it definitely requires a learning curve.

My first question, "Why a laptop" ?

Just seems you get more for your money with a tower configuration with an easier path to upgrade; monitor, video card, storage, etc .

Reactions: Flycaster
A desktop with a good GPU (needed for effects) would indeed be much, much cheaper than a comparable laptop. Go to YouTube. There are a number of videos on the best laptops and desktops.

I build my own computers so the laptop I take with me on the road is