DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Who uses a radio to monitor air traffic while flying their quadcopter and why?

prb

Reactions
I am studying for the Part 107 exam and am puzzled by the instructions re monitoring nearby air traffic with a handheld radio while flying a drone. Given DJI's Geozones and LAANC's demarcation of allowable places to fly, I do not know of scenarios in which I would need to monitor air traffic. Perhaps if I were surrounded by airports, as seems to be the case in heavily populated parts of the US, monitoring air traffic would be helpful, but not where I live. I would appreciate hearing from anyone who monitors air traffic on a radio and an explanation of why.

It makes sense if you are flying near the approach paths for non-towered airports. At least that way you are aware of any pilots that announce their approach and have plenty of time to give right of way.

Seems excessive but I get the reasoning

We monitor air traffic if we are near an airport or a place with heavy low alt travel (hospital etc). While they may NOT be announcing their positions if they do we are able to make changes as to not cause a conflict.

Perhaps I am missing something obvious, but if a manned aircraft is announcing arrival or departure from non-towered airport, to whom are they talking?

Reactions: Drgnfli
Perhaps I am missing something obvious, but if a manned aircraft is announcing arrival or departure from non-towered airport, to whom are they talking?

They are broadcasting it to whomever is listening to the traffic frequency for that airport, so that other manned aircraft may respond if they see a safety conflict or sUAS operators can leave the area in time. Most don't but they are supposed to broadcast when 10 miles out

Other aircraft, drone operators, and anyone else who might be listening. Mainly it's for any other aircraft in the area as a "Heads Up, I'm right here, flying THIS aircraft, I'm going to be going this direction and I intend to do THIS."

Many moons ago (I didn't have a driver's license) I would spend time at a small strip just outside of Class C airspace. The owner would listen to the radio and when someone was near he would get up and run out to meet & greet the pilot. From there he would offer fuel services, food/water, and anything else to help sustain the small rural "airport".

I listened for a while then realised it was pointless. All of the low flying private flights didnt announce their location or show on flight radar so gave up caring. Some of those are often FAR too low but they dont show up. I dont care for them if they dont want to announce themselves.

I listened for a while then realised it was pointless. All of the low flying private flights didnt announce their location or show on flight radar so gave up caring. Some of those are often FAR too low but they dont show up. I dont care for them if they dont want to announce themselves.

Those are (removed by admin) poor pilots. Announcing where you are in the pattern and what you're doing is basic airmanship. In the US, most pilots practice this basic principle.

Those are poor pilots. Announcing where you are in the pattern and what you're doing is basic airmanship. In the US, most pilots practice this basic principle.

I agree... at least those who want to become OLD pilots do.

Well in the UK you'll find a number don't care for the 1000ft threshold. I had to land the other day when a police helicopter was in the vicinity at around 200ft but not on radio not flight radar.

I am studying for the Part 107 exam and am puzzled by the instructions re monitoring nearby air traffic with a handheld radio while flying a drone. Given DJI's Geozones and LAANC's demarcation of allowable places to fly, I do not know of scenarios in which I would need to monitor air traffic. Perhaps if I were surrounded by airports, as seems to be the case in heavily populated parts of the US, monitoring air traffic would be helpful, but not where I live. I would appreciate hearing from anyone who monitors air traffic on a radio and an explanation of why.
Thank you for the question you posed and good luck with your upcoming 107 test.

Are you sure that you were listening on the correct frequency? At a towered airport, no one is landing or taking off without talking to the tower. At an un-towered airport, pilots are going to announce inbound and departure on the CTAF. If they are en route they are very unlikely to be low enough to be a concern.

Studying for the 107 ? having to know how to monitor the radio is as important for a drone pilot as needing to know that you put on oxygen at 10k feet and need to watch out for hyperventilating.
Those are the little things that make the test special. ?

Most aircraft in the U.S. are now required [(as of January 1 this year) (Automatic Dependent Surveillance-Broadcast (ADS-B))] to broadcast ADS-B (Automatic dependent surveillance—broadcast) in controlled airspace. This broadcasts their gps information and some flight information(speed, height, call sign and several other bits of info) several times a minute. Many commercial aircraft have done this for years. You can purchase a cheap simple dongle (under $20) and download a free app (Avare ADS-B) and you will have access to this information in realtime on a radar view. Also you do not need internet access for this. If you select help in the Avare ADS-B app it will bring up different dongles you can use. I use an old galaxy s7 with this to keep track of flights near me.

Last edited:
Most aircraft in the U.S. are now required [(as of January 1 this year) (Automatic Dependent Surveillance-Broadcast (ADS-B))] to broadcast ADS-B (Automatic dependent surveillance—broadcast). This broadcasts their gps information and some flight information(speed, height, call sign and several other bits of info) several times a minute. Many commercial aircraft have done this for years. You can purchase a cheap simple dongle (under $20) and download a free app (Avare ADS-B) and you will have access to this information in realtime on a radar view. Also you do not need internet access for this. If you select help in the Avare ADS-B app it will bring up different dongles you can use. I use an old galaxy s7 with this to keep track of flights near me.

But only within Class B, C and Mode C veil, so it's not necessarily going to be a definitive indicator of air traffic.

Well in the UK you'll find a number don't care for the 1000ft threshold. I had to land the other day when a police helicopter was in the vicinity at around 200ft but not on radio not flight radar.
Most aircraft in the U.S. are now required [(as of January 1 this year) (Automatic Dependent Surveillance-Broadcast (ADS-B))] to broadcast ADS-B (Automatic dependent surveillance—broadcast) in controlled airspace. This broadcasts their gps information and some flight information(speed, height, call sign and several other bits of info) several times a minute. Many commercial aircraft have done this for years. You can purchase a cheap simple dongle (under $20) and download a free app (Avare ADS-B) and you will have access to this information in realtime on a radar view. Also you do not need internet access for this. If you select help in the Avare ADS-B app it will bring up different dongles you can use. I use an old galaxy s7 with this to keep track of flights near me.
The initial post in this thread addresses a reference to what seems absurd about something in study to pass the 107.
There are very good reasons why the 107 requires drone pilots to learn about radio frequencies, etc.
It's just that he thought it unusual someone might carry around a radio to listen to the airways.

Reactions: CharlieR
One of the stipulations to my flight authorization is that I may be required to have radio contact with the ATC tower.

c. UAS PIC may be required to maintain direct two-way radio communication with ATC, and if required must comply. When necessary, the ATC frequency will be provided to operator during the ATC coordination prior to flight.

Reactions: JS1600
Following up on Mavic Mac's post, under what circumstances would an air traffic controller want to be in touch with the PIC? Perhaps more to the point, how would they let the PIC know that he or she should initiate contact? Is it assumed that the PIC announces his or her flight via radio, in addition to getting LAANC approval to fly?

Reactions: DanMan32
One of the stipulations to my flight authorization is that I may be required to have radio contact with the ATC tower.

c. UAS PIC may be required to maintain direct two-way radio communication with ATC, and if required must comply. When necessary, the ATC frequency will be provided to operator during the ATC coordination prior to flight.
Interesting. Does this require you to have a radio operator’s license or does your waiver grant authority to operate a radio (unless the rule has changed, transmitting requires a license unless the transceiver is being used in an aircraft. At least that was the rule 20 years ago when I got my private pilot certificate)?

And also, how likely is it that the tower is going to receive transmissions from someone on the ground?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Schmidteh121