DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Whom among us will be the first

And some people think that our drones are noisy at times.

Just wait until a flying bed mattress such as the Wing Alphabet cruises through your neighborhood with it's fourteen motors whirling away.

:rolleyes:

No labor costs...other than the operator...not paying drivers to sit in traffic....no concerns about who calls in sick and not having enough drivers
Why pay an operator, that wouldn't be cost effective, just have robbie the robot control all (at least a dozen) drones at a time to different location drop points and there you have it, a very nice bonus for whom ever set this idea up. But drones and parts wear out and things go wrong automated or not. Seems like GPS has the potential to change many things in our lives. I guess auto cars will be next (then planes)? Heck everyone will be out a job, lol.

Seems like GPS has the potential to change many things in our lives. I guess auto cars will be next (then planes)? Heck everyone will be out a job, lol.
Auto cars are and have been in testing, planes have been doing this for several years as well :p Most commercial flights aren't, nor need to be "Flown" by the pilot..including the landings. :oops:

Why pay an operator, that wouldn't be cost effective, just have robbie the robot control all (at least a dozen) drones at a time to different location drop points and there you have it, a very nice bonus for whom ever set this idea up. But drones and parts wear out and things go wrong automated or not. Seems like GPS has the potential to change many things in our lives. I guess auto cars will be next (then planes)? Heck everyone will be out a job, lol.
Think the robot will pass the 107 exam?...seriously, though drone parts that wear out are going to be less expensive than truck parts that need replacing...I do wonder how drones will do in the rain

I think the crows will have the last word. One took out my mp2 last summer. Too close to babies probably

Back in 2017, news of Amazon filing a patent for a drone hive for delivering packages via drone was released.

I don't think it took off yet but it's an interesting concept for an autonomous operation.

Some of my very early thoughts on drone delivery.

How can a drone carry anywhere NEAR the amount of goods a small fleet of vans / small truck carry in a metro area ?
A planned route for drivers delivering perhaps hundreds of parcels each a day.
It's like freight train delivery vs a fleet of semi trucks.
A drone with one package, or perhaps a large drone 2 ?
Flight times will be fairly minimal with loads of any useful purpose.
One warehouse with great distance to cover to / from that location ? Only a metro option ?
Or a series of warehouses to make drones more effective but increasing those needs / costs.

Just the flight times alone to from depot with one or two packages would be quite high, and a lot of air traffic . . . which I don't think will be an issue as long as it's all automated and below X altitude **.

You need an equal amount of people (as drivers) I would have thought to load each drone delivery, someone (or a bunch of people) to ensure deliveries are correct, flight plans are correct.

The BIG one, safety.
Deliveries to homes where some fool or kids might get injured.
Power lines, fine defoliated branches and such that might be an issue with sensors picking them up (like we can experience), drunks ordering food and getting stupid with drones, parcel theft if left on driveways, defeats the purpose of doing deliveries to non occupied homes during biz hours.

Very likely tech advances can overcome some of these, perhaps not the human aspects of the concept.

Probably so many little things that can affect the viability of this, at least for a long while . . . a gimmick that some might use for a kick at first . . . if optional, maybe Amazon etc are planning on this being their only delivery option longer term.

Some drone related things work great, the medical winged drone deliveries on the African continent springs to mind.

** Of course we ALL should be wondering where piloted UAVs will fit this picture, if eventually UAV automated delivery and airspace overcrowding do 'take off' (pun intended).

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Electrakill21