DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Who's took the plunge?

fozzzy

Reactions
I grabbed the Osmo Action yesterday to replace my old Hero 4 Black. Just wondered who else has taken the plunge and reasons why? In all honesty it was mainly the price that made me choose it over the GoPro 7 but the dewarp and rock steady look impressive on the reviews so far. Fingers crossed now its arrived. 20190517_170433.jpeg

So glad you did. I'm considering it. Please let us know how you like it, as that will impact my decision

(PS: Had a great time in the UK with my Pocket)

Reactions: fozzzy
Seems like a no brainer to me over the Hero7 so I ordered one.

After watching several youtube comparisons It looks to do everything better plus the larger front and back screens.

I especially noticed the rocksteady was a little better and the video was sharper.

After watching several youtube comparisons It looks to do everything better plus the larger front and back screens.

I especially noticed the rocksteady was a little better and the video was sharper.
Had a bit of a play today, the footage reminds me a lot of the Mavic air (no bad thing) and colours are impressive especially in HDR, pity the Rock Steady isnt available in HDR mode. I'll keep playing around for a few days and pop my thooughts up.

I pick one up , set to arrive on Tuesday.

One difference, the Kero 7 Black can be had for $300 and the Action is $350. So it's $50 more for a front screen. I use my Hero 7 Black for vloging style recording all of the time now (with the external mic setup). I can't say that a front screen would make any real difference. if you can see the screen, you are in frame. However, if I had to buy all over again... tough choice and I might very well spend the extra $50.

One difference, the Kero 7 Black can be had for $300 and the Action is $350. So it's $50 more for a front screen. I use my Hero 7 Black for vloging style recording all of the time now (with the external mic setup). I can't say that a front screen would make any real difference. if you can see the screen, you are in frame. However, if I had to buy all over again... tough choice and I might very well spend the extra $50.

Do you think the Action Cam might be a better choice for selfies than the Hero 7? I have my S9+ for selfies.

Had a bit of a play today, the footage reminds me a lot of the Mavic air (no bad thing) and colours are impressive especially in HDR, pity the Rock Steady isnt available in HDR mode. I'll keep playing around for a few days and pop my thooughts up.
Maybe something a firmware can add in the future.

I have used the Hero7 camera, the Hypersmooth makes it the best action cam I have ever use so far.

I will recieve my Osmo Action in a couple of days and hoping it is as good. From the demos I have seen it is.

You can't go wrong with either of these cams but feature wise I give the edge to the Osmo action.

Do you think the Action Cam might be a better choice for selfies than the Hero 7? I have my S9+ for selfies.
Well, it can be said that it has a front facing screen but as I mentioned above, if you could see that screen, you are in the frame. It could be a mirror and it would serve the same purpose. The trade off is, the Action is $50 more. It is up to the individual person to determine if it is worth it.

Reactions: Former Member
Absolutely with the front facing screen. When i take selfies it is usually a group of people so the front screen will help a lot to center and get everybody in the shot.

Took the plunge a few days ago. Should be receiving it Monday.

My GoPro Hero Session and Hero 6 Black did a fine job for most action-oriented videos but the Osmo seems to perform better in low-light (per a YouTube comparison), form factor looks good, ability to use existing mounts, front facing display might come in handy during adjustment when mounted and ultimately... a shiny new and pretty awesome action cam!

I'd probably have gone for this except I bought the Sony X3000 late last year to replace a Hero4 which would drive you mad with secret crashing and inconsistent results and poor low-light performance.
One thing I'm not keen on is the battery clip design, it would be wise to avoid swapping that frequently especially if you are going to test the waterproofness.

With the stabilising turned on it crops in rather a lot - that's where the X3000 with optical rather than digital stabilising still looks good.

A superb selfie choice, and a bit of a no brainer on the OA vs GP battle in that regard. The only negatives for me so far are the record button when in the protective case is stiff as ....... and video seems overly sharpened during camera processing, not horrendous but could do with addressing in a future update. Other than that it's all good so far. If the weather picks up I'll get some footage and pictures up today hopefully.

Reactions: Former Member
@fozzzy osmo action has no live streaming features. Hope they will include it on the next update

@fozzzy osmo action has no live streaming features. Hope they will include it on the next update
I would have thought so, especially having wifi built in. Im hoping the Pocket Audio adapter will be compatible too in the next firmware update

Got mine today - to replace my Sony FDRX3000 (which has been awesome but is starting to have glitches). Looks good so far. Trying some timelapses etc. Will use on my upcoming bike trip to South America.

Got mine today - to replace my Sony FDRX3000 (which has been awesome but is starting to have glitches). Looks good so far. Trying some timelapses etc. Will use on my upcoming bike trip to South America.
Got mine today also.
So far its everything I hoped for.
There is only one thing I miss that the Gopro has and that's "wide FOV"

Got mine today also.
So far its everything I hoped for.
There is only one thing I miss that the Gopro has and that's "wide FOV"
Thats one of the reasons I went for this over the GoPro, no fisheye to mess around with in post ;) gotta love a little dewarp [emoji23][emoji23][emoji106]

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jordy