DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Why A Recreational Pilot Should Obtain a Commercial Drone License

In fact, short of a rec pilot taking the initial remote pilot exam, I believe there’s no restriction on their taking the recurrent exam. (I think) Anyone can do it, its free, the subject areas are weighted a little differently than the initial exam, but one could learn a lot going through it, including the latest regs on night flying and Operations Over People & vehicles. It’s a lecture, study guide, and quiz/test all-in-one.

You make a very good point and in fact it's worded that way on the page description for the Recurrency Course:
ALC-677: Part 107 Small UAS Recurrent
Part 107 sUAS Recurrent – Non-Part 61 Pilots Introduction
The FAA has developed regulations to allow the operation of small unmanned aircraft systems (sUAS) in the National Airspace System (NAS) for purposes other than limited recreational use. The rules are specified in 14 CFR part 107 and address UAS classification, certification, and operating rules.
This training is designed for non-part 61 pilot certificate holders (or those without a current flight review in accordance with 14 CFR § 61.56) who wish to remain current as a part 107 remote pilot with an sUAS rating.
Others may take this training as a self-study resource, including:

• Aviation Safety Inspectors (ASIs)
  • Anyone interested in learning more about 14 CFR part 107

Well, sure. I’m not disagreeing - I think we’re talking about the same people. Unaware is unaware, no matter the reason.

I take the point that some have never had an inkling that drones fly in the NAS that’s administered by FAA, or that there are FAA regs/rulemaking directed by Congress on what they think of as toys or hobbies. I wouldn’t blame anyone for their lack of info. Well, some are willfully ignorant, but many are not.

It’s hard to imagine much change until/unless there are actions by manufacturers in a public safety partnership that gets the word out on every box, every Amazon page, every… place!

It’s a very interesting point @BigAl07 makes about the need for more mandatory certification for everyone. To me it came as a surprise that there was no operational component of what commercial licensing exists. That *did not* make sense to me.

I too would encourage any interested rec flyer to study for the remote pilot test and to consider taking it. Once it’s under your belt it’s free and fun to stay current every 24 mos. Or whenever you’re feeling a little rusty.

In fact, short of a rec pilot taking the initial remote pilot exam, I believe there’s no restriction on their taking the recurrent exam. (I think) Anyone can do it, its free, the subject areas are weighted a little differently than the initial exam, but one could learn a lot going through it, including the latest regs on night flying and Operations Over People & vehicles. It’s a lecture, study guide, and quiz/test all-in-one.
I, personally, have yet to earn penny number one with my 107 certificate. I endeavored to take the 107 exam in May of 2018. I successfully completed the recurrent last year. I do NOT fly for $$$! But I do carry all my flights as 107. Sadly, my flying time has been significantly diminished due to a 2019 near death situation. My decision to obtain 107 was to force me to read rules and thus abide by them! I honestly believe that had I not obtained the 107 I would, undoubtedly, have violated established rules/laws. I do not believe all persons should follow suit in obtaining a 107, but with the data provided by the FAA it would be wise to educate oneself! My study was all from the (free) FAA www, but the are numerous extremely reputable organizations of one’s choosing (at a cost)! To become educated with the rules and applications pertaining to permissible UAS flight activity would possibly result in far fewer contributors to this forum openly confessing to their sins.

Reactions: SethB
I completely agree. To be honest, (this is goin to ruffle some feathers here) I feel like today's Part 107 should be the MIN requirement to fly a UAS in the NAS here in the US and Commercial should be more/bigger. I also think Part 107 should have an actual Flight Proficiency aspect to it for any Commercial endorsements etc. You should have to demonstrate you can at least perform a thorough preflight, initiate flight, fly a designated route, land safely, do a thorough postflight inspect, and be able to answer some on-the-fly questions by the Examiner.

Kudos to you for taking that effort and getting the ticket. I'd be willing to be you're a better UAS Pilot because of it and at the very least you have a much deeper and broader understanding of UAS operations and US regulations. Well done :)

I get asked several times a week, "How hard is the test and do I REALLY need any type of prep work"?

I always say this, "The test isn't hard at all, in fact it's too easy if you know the subject matter. But if you haven't been exposed to Aviation and UAS operations you're not going to "wing it" (pun intended). It's like me trying to go take a French test without having any exposure to the language at all. If I were deeply involved with speaking French I would be able to pass but otherwise it's not a "common sense" type of test."

Thanks for the kind words. In reading the stream here, I certainly understand the frustration of government intruding in every aspect of life. That will never change. But the reality is this a great hobby and there's no doubt in my little brain the popularity is only going to grow as time goes on. Regulation will grow as well. The trick is how it is handled. I think currently safety is the key focus -- as it should be. The issue, like all the times before, is when some governmental entity alters the focus and then the discussion is about money streams -- as soon as "speeding tickets" became a budget line, it was no longer about safety but income. Hopefully, our niche interest won't come to that. As long as we have smart people on the right advisory groups, I think we're safe...

As a history guy, I always try to put thinks in context of "the before." Again, there's no doubt in my aforementioned little brain, that 120 years ago a bunch of guys were sitting around the bar complaining the government was making all these (Mod Removed Language)rules about their newfound hobby of driving some contraption over horse and buggy trails...those contraptions helped propel society into a new age -- with all the accompanying good and bad things attached to them. Maybe this technology that we've come to enjoy will do the same for our kids and grandkids and their kids...

Geez -- it's Christmas Eve...sorry about the soap box -- only one cup of coffee...lol...everyone have a safe and wonderful holiday season...and happy flying!!! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting article that addresses this issue from Rupprecht Law. Small Snippet:

I’ve been helping clients navigate responding to FAA investigations. I’ve seen how situations can go south really bad for the recreational guys. Here is the big gotcha……when you violate one of the recreational restrictions, you are no longer seen as recreational but as non-recreational and the rest of the regulations apply. Instead of just a violation for one thing, the violation makes all the Part 107 regulations apply which means you end up getting more violations.

When you study for the FAA 107 you learn a lot about flight in general including weather, aerodynamics, airplane design, flight charts, airport rules, etc so it's well worth it even if you don't continue to get the license.

Nope. In fact, under strict reading of the regs, if you use your drone to inspect YOUR OWN roof for storm damage, that's not recreational.

I did exactly that a month back due to a massive storm here... thankfully I went ahead and got my Part 107 license even before I got my drone. Here's a shot of a plugged downspout.
What if you are just flying around for fun, happen to fly over your roof, and notice something later when reviewing the footage :D

• Haha
Reactions: projectarjun
What if you are just flying around for fun, happen to fly over your roof, and notice something later when reviewing the footage :D
Ok, the ‘What if’s…’
Your recreational flight was already completed! It was strictly recreational! You cannot go back after the flight was completed and change it!
Happy Holidays

Are you kidding me?!! So now it's come to this. Want to fly a drone and take some cool pictures? Want to have some fun flying your drone around grandpas farm? Want to have a fun activity with your kid?

Well don't leave the government behind. Get all of your Part 107, 109, A-1123. x,y,z. Get so many stickers your drone won't fly. Oops! That's a violation..go directly to jail and do not pass go. Confiscate the drone and your not allowed to have another.

Try this instead. Be responsible. Be considerate. Don't go where your not supposed to go.
Your words are right on for all: "Try this instead. Be responsible. Be considerate. Don't go where your not supposed to go."

Why not just get your Part107? It is not that hard. Used the book and the workbook in the link below. It has practice tests. I am near an airport and outside of the 3 mile radius I can fly in Controlled airspace. I use AirMap for the LANNC authorization.

Remote Pilot Test Prep 2022: Study & Prepare: Pass your Part 107 test and know what is essential to safely operate an unmanned aircraft from the most ... in aviation training (ASA Test Prep Series) Remote Pilot Test Prep 2022: Study & Prepare: Pass your Part 107 test and know what is essential to safely operate an unmanned aircraft from the most ... in aviation training (ASA Test Prep Series): ASA Test Prep Board: 9781644251638: Amazon.com: Books

Reactions: theDRONEranger
Even if you don’t go for the test you will have a much better understanding of what not to do and be aware of things you need to pay attention to for safe flight.

That's CORRECT! Recreational Flying(~44809) is an "Exception" to Part 107 and if you don't abide by every aspect of ~44809 then you are accountable for ALL of Part 107.
Cause its all about safety! But I dont need any extra license to fly my real helicopter over people and I can take photos and give them away or sell them to Big Al. I can yell at people beneath me to get out of the way, Im gonna land there, I can smack my tail on a chainlink fence and say a drone cut thru that 1/8 inch aluminum. There will be no fines for me. Just you drone people

There is a wealth of information to be gained by studying for the part 107. If someone took the time to study, they would probably be such a better pilot and have a much better understanding of the rules and regulations. I for one am very adamant about flying safe whether Rec or 107. WE all want the drone community's reputation to be untarnished and well represented.
Yes, there is a wealthy of information to be gained in studying for the 107. The issue is the person flying a drone in their backyard below 100" 20 mikes away from an airport should not be required to gain that knowledge and pass a test if all they want to do is fly below 100" 20 miles from an airport. As long as the person is aware of the basics, stuff that could be printed on the side of a box, why require them to study sectional charts and aviation weather to enjoy very basic recreational flying?

I, personally, have yet to earn penny number one with my 107 certificate. I endeavored to take the 107 exam in May of 2018. I successfully completed the recurrent last year. I do NOT fly for $$$! But I do carry all my flights as 107. Sadly, my flying time has been significantly diminished due to a 2019 near death situation. My decision to obtain 107 was to force me to read rules and thus abide by them! I honestly believe that had I not obtained the 107 I would, undoubtedly, have violated established rules/laws. I do not believe all persons should follow suit in obtaining a 107, but with the data provided by the FAA it would be wise to educate oneself! My study was all from the (free) FAA www, but the are numerous extremely reputable organizations of one’s choosing (at a cost)! To become educated with the rules and applications pertaining to permissible UAS flight activity would possibly result in far fewer contributors to this forum openly confessing to their sins.
The exact same reason I studied and obtained my 107. Know the rules.

Reactions: BigAl07
Yes, there is a wealthy of information to be gained in studying for the 107. The issue is the person flying a drone in their backyard below 100" 20 mikes away from an airport should not be required to gain that knowledge and pass a test if all they want to do is fly below 100" 20 miles from an airport. As long as the person is aware of the basics, stuff that could be printed on the side of a box, why require them to study sectional charts and aviation weather to enjoy very basic recreational flying?
Sectional charts knowledge is a bit much for UAS.

When you study for the FAA 107 you learn a lot about flight in general including weather, aerodynamics, airplane design, flight charts, airport rules, etc so it's well worth it even if you don't continue to get the license.
All the things you list have very little to do with UAS. I have my 107 and wondered why I had to learn what the lines on the taxi way means. You cannot fly or for that matter walk on the tarmac. The topics you list may be interesting.

Why not just get your Part107? It is not that hard. Used the book and the workbook in the link below. It has practice tests. I am near an airport and outside of the 3 mile radius I can fly in Controlled airspace. I use AirMap for the LANNC authorization.

Remote Pilot Test Prep 2022: Study & Prepare: Pass your Part 107 test and know what is essential to safely operate an unmanned aircraft from the most ... in aviation training (ASA Test Prep Series) Remote Pilot Test Prep 2022: Study & Prepare: Pass your Part 107 test and know what is essential to safely operate an unmanned aircraft from the most ... in aviation training (ASA Test Prep Series): ASA Test Prep Board: 9781644251638: Amazon.com: Books

Why not? Because it's not necessary for flying a drone below tree top level in your backyard. Do you need a medical degree in order to apply a bandaid to a cut on your finger? You missing the point.

The knowledge requirement should be based on the extent to which you're going to participate in the hobby. If your participation is limited to flying figure eights at the local park the knowledge requirements should be the very basics (max altitude, away from an airport, no flights over people, moving vehicles or at night). Don't make things more complicated than the need to be.

All the things you list have very little to do with UAS. I have my 107 and wondered why I had to learn what the lines on the taxi way means. You cannot fly or for that matter walk on the tarmac. The topics you list may be interesting.

That's where you're wrong.

Keep in mind that Part 107 is more than "just" taking Real Estate pictures in the suburbs etc. It encompasses much more and some of us actually HAVE flown on airport. Even flying next to the airport if your COA states "Must remain clear of XYZ markings" if you can't read them how can you fly in that area?

Also Part 107 isn't just multirotors. It includes Fixed Wing aircraft and helo who could be operating from a base.

Reactions: sar104
Cause its all about safety! But I dont need any extra license to fly my real helicopter over people and I can take photos and give them away or sell them to Big Al. I can yell at people beneath me to get out of the way, Im gonna land there, I can smack my tail on a chainlink fence and say a drone cut thru that 1/8 inch aluminum. There will be no fines for me. Just you drone people
You really don't sound at all like a pilot, but if you are then the difference is the level of certification that both you and your helicopter require to be able to fly anywhere, not just over people. Even a basic private helicopter pilot license involves far more training and testing than Part 107, and your helicopter is subject to rigorous design regulation and service requirements.

Yesterday the kids behind me were flying a toy drone. I asked if they had taken the test they thought there grandma had no super vision.
The trust one . I think the oldest is 11 . So I will talk to there dad so they're on the right path.
A lot of this came from someone people doing stupid stuff a big part was commercialization Amazon Walmart and other companies wanting the airspace those with the money get what they want.

So you do a "favor" for a friend such as take photos of his roof to see if there Is storm damage...as long as you are NOT paid or compensated then you are ok......Right?
Nope. Your intent must be for fun. You can’t even use the drone to check your roof, technically, as a recreational pilot sans 107. Dumb IMHO. Any rule or law that is absolutely and unequivocally uninforceable Is a poor law or rule.

Nope. Your intent must be for fun. You can’t even use the drone to check your roof, technically, as a recreational pilot sans 107. Dumb IMHO. Any rule or law that is absolutely and unequivocally uninforceable Is a poor law or rule.
It is somewhat unenforceable, but it's what the FAA was handed by Congress. Recreational flight is allowed a specific exception to 14 CFR Part 107, and roof inspection, even of your own roof, is clearly not recreational. The only viable alternative, if we want only enforceable laws, is to remove the recreational exception entirely and require everyone to follow Part 107. Would that be better?

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dronecc