DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

why can't I go higher than 500m next to a higher mountain?

John Gowland

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Mount Agung volcano Bali 29 Sept 17

Sky View Aerial Videography

Firmware limits you to 500m above take off point. If you want to get it higher, take off from from a higher point.

Or rollback your firmware. Go back to .700 (or lower) and then you can change the parameters all you want. You can fly all the way to the top of the mountain. No climbing involved! :D

Reactions: Pvitale and Mavman
Or rollback your firmware. Go back to .700 (or lower) and then you can change the parameters all you want. You can fly all the way to the top of the mountain. No climbing involved! :D

The limit was always 500 m above takeoff point. Earlier firmware won't help with that.

Reactions: MrsTreat
Assuming you want to go another 100m above that mountain, you'll need to allow for ascent and descent times - probably about 6 minutes there. Plus the drone will be working harder due to mountain catabatic wind effects, so count on around 20% efficiency loss there. 30% safety margin on the batteries...by my calculation, if you COULD get up to the altitude you're hoping for, you'd have only about 10 minutes for all of the flying around you wanted to do.

Even though DJI limits the height, battery duration is an even larger limiting factor.

Sounds like nice reason for a hike. S

Mount Agung volcano Bali 29 Sept 17

Sky View Aerial Videography
Are you the Australian reporter? If yes, invite Digdat0, CyberNate, or Dirtybum to come to Bali. I am pretty sure they can do it and you also have the budget to invite them over :). Don't forget to ask permission from the local government for the coverage from above the crater as otherwise (I believe) you will break the law.

Unlocking the 500m limit is easy. Making the Mavic to go up 2500m+ without losing connection, RTH not kick in when you reached certain height, and have enough juice to hover around for a few minutes around the crater is a different matter.

Reactions: digdat0
Are you the Australian reporter? If yes, invite Digdat0, CyberNate, or Dirtybum to come to Bali. I am pretty sure they can do it and you also have the budget to invite them over :). Don't forget to ask permission from the local government for the coverage from above the crater as otherwise (I believe) you will break the law.

Unlocking the 500m limit is easy. Making the Mavic to go up 2500m+ without losing connection, RTH not kick in when you reached certain height, and have enough juice to hover around for a few minutes around the crater is a different matter.

At which height RTH not works? Thank.

Just want to clear up a few points. I have made repeated attempts requesting permission from national and local authorities to use my Mavic. I was in an advisory 12 mile exclusion zone because of possible volcanic activity. There was almost no person within a 12 mile radius. Few dogs and chickens. There was no traffic, except for my driver who had police clearance and was in constant two way radio contact with government authorities and radio engineers. Oh there was a 50cc bike slower than my drone.
There were four radio engineers who we were in contact with and were up and down from the base where I was.
There was a complete ban on all manned aircraft for miles around, not sure of how many miles. There were no barriers or government officials on the asset to the mountain base.
We did have an evacuation plan that did not only involve a decent, you cant beat all lava flow. It involved a repositioning to an area the volcanologists were convinced the lava would not flow. These maps are in the public domain.
I am and was not interested in hacking my drone to do things it was not designed to do. When I altered my height in the app to 500m from my normal 120m it did not restrict me.
Ok I am interested, but would not do it. I dont think?
I would have loved to see inside the crater!

I did a few test flights at 100, 200 and 300m without any issue. I only tested these flights when there was no cloud around the peak and the surrounding cloud was still, thinking that was a good indicator of higher wind conditions. Even at 500m I had plenty of battery time left after landing.

I think I was in a unique situation given the circumstances.
Would have be awesome to see inside that crater :)

Reactions: fiftiesnut
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bahamaboy242