DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Why does DJI allow you to change max altitude to 1640 ft?

FAA guidelines state you should fly below 400 feet, correct? Why does the DJI GO app allow you to change your max altitude to 500 meters? Looks like if the FAA didn't want recreational pilots flying above the 400 feet height restriction then they wouldn't allow you to change the setting so easy. At least put a restriction on it like they do to fly within 5 miles of an airport. In which case you have to obtain a verification code from DJI. Anyone share why this is?

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots
Maybe a different country has different laws.

Personally I'd like to see no limit, lots of open space in australia has an 18,000ft ceiling

Maybe it's just because even in the US, it's not DJI's job to make sure you follow the laws, it's yours.

Do you also wonder why automakers will sell you a car that goes faster than 65 mph?

Reactions: combustication
When I launch at my vacation pad in middle-TN, as soon as I fly over the cliff, the ground below is 1000' below my takeoff point. Likewise, if I launched at the river at the bottom of the cliff, and wanted to land at my doorstep at the house above, I'd have to go up at least 1000'. There are many such scenarios where a 400' hard limit would make the MP useless.

Reactions: Richard in Ky
When I launch at my vacation pad in middle-TN, as soon as I fly over the cliff, the ground below is 1000' below my takeoff point. Likewise, if I launched at the river at the bottom of the cliff, and wanted to land at my doorstep at the house above, I'd have to go up at least 1000'. There are many such scenarios where a 400' hard limit would make the MP useless.
This sounds like a pretty nice vacation house!

Reactions: Richard in Ky
I believe it measured from your take off point and you should be able to go down as far as you want. So the issue you describe would be more of a problem starting at the bottom of the river and climbing 1000' as you describe. Dji should allow for an override.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

This sounds like a pretty nice vacation house!
OT - sorry, OP...

It sure is. I can't get enough of the place. If the planets align properly, it'll soon change to our primary home. All contingent on the wife's work.

Here's what mornings from the porch look like:

And w/o clouds:

And lastly, some aerial video - taken with my P2V+ that had a bad roll driver (shakey):

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drxenon