DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Why does everyone use RTH?

I generally don't use it as sometimes I can get some good pic on my way back. But once in a while i hit rth just to enjoy flawless robotics in action [emoji3]

i don't use it, I don't like how it flies so high up to RTH (i know you can custom set it), i'm always nervous about birds attacking my drone so I like to be able to watch and control.
Regarding birds - they can't fly straight up. The only way they can gain altitude is by flying in a slow spiral. So if you fly up when they come after you, they will break off and find something else to bully. :)

Also, birds should be afraid of the Mavic, especially. Those four rotating razor blades cause problems. Compared to a Phantom, there is very little area that a bird can safely grab without getting cut, and even a small cut is fatal to a bird.

I feel better knowing that it's there when I need it, and I use it occasionally just to make sure it still works the way I think it should.

I fly by visual methods whenever possible and use my map to see where I am and where my MP is

I think if people are being honest a large percentage fly out of VLOS and it’s just easier to hit a button instead of navigate.

Reactions: dirkclod
You got that right.

Earplugs help; especially when the drone gets close to home! I seem to be more sensitive to loud high-pitched sounds than most people (perhaps I damaged my hearing less than others when I was young!).

This is a very old thread, but looks like it has been revived. I personally use RTH pretty much every flight because I just love to watch the little dude do its thing all on its own. Of course, unless I've lost VLOS, I always watch it because stuff can go wrong. Mine did a precision landing 10 feet from the pad yesterday; I have no idea why.
Frankly, when it approaches the pad, it does a lot better job of precision landing than I do. Also, as several have noted, I do like to know that it still has that ability when something goes badly wrong and I have to depend on it. A good example would be if the battery in the controller went dead.

And for the guys that just enjoy controlling the aircraft all the way back, that's fine. But as one person said early on, I generally use cruise control in my car every time I drive it. Why not?

I personally use RTH pretty much every flight because I just love to watch the little dude do its thing all on its own.

I'm the opposite, I love to fly back, even if I am out of sight a little ways.
You never know what's along to way to detour to and film / photograph.

And for the guys that just enjoy controlling the aircraft all the way back, that's fine. But as one person said early on, I generally use cruise control in my car every time I drive it. Why not?

Every time, no.
Only at highway speeds, it is dangerous using cruise in urban environments, also inconvenient as one has to keep re-engaging it after braking.
Only long stints at highway limits, even then I only use it on flattish terrain, as mine tends to pull me up hills by 6 - 8 km/hr over the limit.

Modern tech is getting pretty good though, my sons Tesla X is spot on with its cruise, the regenerative brake charging takes advantage of keeping it pretty well within limits by a km or two / hr.

This is a very old thread, but looks like it has been revived. I personally use RTH pretty much every flight because I just love to watch the little dude do its thing all on its own. Of course, unless I've lost VLOS, I always watch it because stuff can go wrong. Mine did a precision landing 10 feet from the pad yesterday; I have no idea why.
Frankly, when it approaches the pad, it does a lot better job of precision landing than I do. Also, as several have noted, I do like to know that it still has that ability when something goes badly wrong and I have to depend on it. A good example would be if the battery in the controller went dead.

So RTH was off for some unknown random reason... yet you trust it each and every time? Odd.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bigbrute