DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Why is DJI Fly app 1.2.2 not available on the Google Play Store?

DJI now completely removed all links to Google Play Store from its download page. Not only for Fly App, but also for Go App, Mimo, etc.. For me the ultimate hint that DJI quit cooperation with Google entirely. No more updates through the Play store for any DJI App - maybe forever.
(Deleted by moderator) :oops: I was really hoping the delay on the Google Play Store was due to the holidays...

DJI now completely removed all links to Google Play Store from its download page. Not only for Fly App, but also for Go App, Mimo, etc.. For me the ultimate hint that DJI quit cooperation with Google entirely. No more updates through the Play store for any DJI App - maybe forever.
Yep, I brought that up somewhere else.

I did find "check for updates" which seems to go to DJI rather than Play if you have the latest downloaded version, which is another hint.
GO 4 .40 has a bug when syncing flight logs. Dialog is in Chinese. If you click on the highlighted default response, it's back to English and doing the sync.

I also found Go 3 as a download, but an older version than what's in Play. The September update was for Android 11 compatibility.

I only can assume that it is because the DJI technlogy ban of the US government what caused this. So it was hard to believe as long as they still work together with Apple. But it is reality now indeed, what ever the background may be.
Mimo app appeared in the meanwhile in the Samsung App store, so I can install and update it there. Maybe other DJI apps will follow to other alternative stores.

Lots of other apps are now being removed from Google Play on "accessing personal information" grounds (notably today "Touchdown" was removed, an Exchange client owned by Norton for some years now).

I would suspect Google Play policy changes rather than the US gov ban, as you say, it's still on Apple's AppStore...

On my 40th "flight" now, v 1.2.1 works reliably so far and can for now live without the added radar view, which I understand is the only difference between 1.2.1 and 1.2.2 for us Android Mini 2 pilots?

Lots of other apps are now being removed from Google Play on "accessing personal information" grounds (notably today "Touchdown" was removed, an Exchange client owned by Norton for some years now).

I would suspect Google Play policy changes rather than the US gov ban, as you say, it's still on Apple's AppStore...

On my 40th "flight" now, v 1.2.1 works reliably so far and can for now live without the added radar view, which I understand is the only difference between 1.2.1 and 1.2.2 for us Android Mini 2 pilots?
Any new features in firmware updates you might want are likely to need app update.

Since Android app is no longer in Play, anyone know where DJI will publish what's new in their app? Release notes only tells you what's firmware related.

Any new features in firmware updates you might want are likely to need app update.
True and will have to settle with checking the DJI site (or better yet this forum) frequently for feature releases. But for what I understand is the only current upgrade to 1.2.1, I haven't yet rushed to move to 1.2.2 (though the .apk is sitting on my phone, waiting to be installed!)

Lots of other apps are now being removed from Google Play
Actually it is not really removed yet, it is still in the Store:

However it seems like it will stay forever on Version 1.2.1 (2020-11-13)

Actually it is not really removed yet, it is still in the Store:

However it seems like it will stay forever on Version 1.2.1 (2020-11-13)
:oops: you're right, should have checked rather than just go with what we mentioned here!

Is it true that if one updates to app version 1.2.2 you will no longer be able to extract and view DAT and TXT files for evaluating flights (or crashes)?

Flight record TXT and DAT files are still stored as usual on the smartphone. I cannot see any change to this with 1.2.2.

Yes that is correct, encryption of the files has changed so they can't be read anymore.

Yes that is correct, encryption of the files has changed so they can't be read anymore.
So does that mean apps such AirData can no longer access the info?

Is the data still hardcoded as subtitles on the video file if the option is enabled in Fly (which can then be extracted using third party tools)?

Last edited:
AFAIK AirData and the likes have a partnership with DJI so they can access the new files, but the tools we use to get more detailed info than they provide don't work anymore. OSD is there, no change... but doesn't give any useful info for understanding crashes.

Is there a list somewhere of those apps that are being removed for this reason?

Is there a list somewhere of those apps that are being removed for this reason?
Not to my knowledge. I can confirm getting notified for 3 apps I was using since the new year (removal from Play doesn't mean you lose the app, they are still running well, but I assume no updates though)

True and will have to settle with checking the DJI site (or better yet this forum) frequently for feature releases. But for what I understand is the only current upgrade to 1.2.1, I haven't yet rushed to move to 1.2.2 (though the .apk is sitting on my phone, waiting to be installed!)
I know where to get release notes for firmware, but where to find out what's changed for a new version of the app?
For example, "what's new" listing for 1.2.2 in Play would have indicated the orientation/attitude indicator change that wasn't firmware related.

Not to my knowledge. I can confirm getting notified for 3 apps I was using since the new year (removal from Play doesn't mean you lose the app, they are still running well, but I assume no updates though)
The app for this site, MavicPilots is no longer in Play. It's APK isn't even in the APK cache sites. I can still use it on my new S20FE because it transferred from my HTC.

Looks like 1.2.4 was released. Is it in the Play store for Android? It doesn't indicate the version number in the Play Store.

1611598762742.png

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozwaldcore