DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Why is DJI Fly app 1.2.2 not available on the Google Play Store?

Meuns00

Reactions
Hello there! New Mini 2 owner (my first DJI drone) and new to this forum.

Can someone tell my why the new DJI Fly app version 1.2.2 is NOT available on the Google Play Store while previous versions were, even though it's been out for over a week on their web site? And is this a frequent thing that DJI releases Android apps on their web site that are not approved on the Google Play Store?

It's just that I HATE installing apps that are not on the Google Play Store and have not been vetted and approved to be safe and stable, especially when previous versions of the same app were. There is a reason why these stores exist and we don't just install anything from any source.

Thanks and have a nice day!

Welcome to the forum, and greetings from San Diego.

Here is a copy of the release. At the bottom it says that android user need to update the app from the official DJI website. I cannot explain it not being in the Playstore, but I hope this helps anyway.

Attachments

• 71CD4DA5-1E36-443C-91B5-31A49C844AA2.png
    71CD4DA5-1E36-443C-91B5-31A49C844AA2.png
    877.9 KB · Views: 97
Reactions: Bob Suval
Thanks a lot for your reply! :)

I wish DJI (or someone else who has privileged information) would explain why the app is not on the Google Play Store.

Are you aware if this is the first time they distribute the app on their web site and not on the Google Play Store or if they frequently do it?

Thanks and have a great day!

It's just that I HATE installing apps that are not on the Google Play Store and have not been vetted and approved to be safe and stable
You're greatly overestimating the amount of vetting and testing that Google does to Play Store apps. TBH, you're just as safe loading from the DJI site.

Reactions: InvisibleName
Yes, but if you sideload, you don't get future updates from Play anymore.
Interesting! I didn't know that. I think I'm gonna wait a few more days and see if it gets updated on the Play Store.

In the meantime, I know that *new* features from the latest firmware update (such as 2.7K/60FPS) require the new version 1.2.2 of the Fly app, but is it safe to update to the latest firmware (in order to get bug fixes and stability improvements) and still use DJI Fly 1.2.1? I mean do you HAVE to use the latest version of the app when using the new firmware?

Could it be that Google and the Chinese Government have not been playing well with each other lately ?

Thanks a lot for your reply! :)

I wish DJI (or someone else who has privileged information) would explain why the app is not on the Google Play Store.

Are you aware if this is the first time they distribute the app on their web site and not on the Google Play Store or if they frequently do it?

Thanks and have a great day!
Might be the exorbitant price that Google charges for hosting software. Each version gets charged irrespective of previous versions still on the play store site. Lots of companies have one version of an app on Playstore but upgrade directly from their own servers. Gets the product "out there" but keeps future costs down.

Google only really checks for viruses etc, they don't do much if anything in the way of testing of 3rd party apps. Think of the number of apps on playstore, it would take an army of testers working 24/7 to test them all. Also, think of the number of utterly useless apps on play-store that don't work properly. Google only supplies the means of secure delivery, payment, and returns. Very little else.

I have sideloaded from DJI and other reputable companies. Never a problem. As long as you have an up-to-date virus scanner on your device or PC you should have nothing to worry about.

Last edited:
Yes and no.

If the app was installed with the same filename that it has in the Google Play App Store, it can be updated from the Play store. The next time an update is released, you will need to do a search for that app in the store. You will have the option on the app's store page to update the app.

Once updated via the store, it will show up in the store's Installed / Updates section from now on and will receive automatic updates in the future.

If you sideload the app with a different filename, you will need to uninstall the sideloaded copy before you can install it from the Play store.

Reactions: dawgpilot
I just realized that also the DJI Mimo app no longer received Updates through the Google Play Store since November, even with new releases available. However, DJI Mimo now appeared with its current version in Samsung App Store. I had to uninstall the App in Google Play before I could install it from the Samsung Store, but from now on it at least should be kept up to date by Samsung Store.
But this makes me now seriously think if Google indeed is no longer publishing DJI App updates in general.
I'm curious if DJI Fly maybe also will appear in Samsung Store shortly.

Last edited:
Funny, I've never had that issue. I still have the ability to upgrade different APK files in the Play store that I side loaded. I just choose not to because of intrusive ads in newer APK files. The updates still show up for me if the app is in the store.

Reactions: dawgpilot
Interesting! I didn't know that. I think I'm gonna wait a few more days and see if it gets updated on the Play Store.

In the meantime, I know that *new* features from the latest firmware update (such as 2.7K/60FPS) require the new version 1.2.2 of the Fly app, but is it safe to update to the latest firmware (in order to get bug fixes and stability improvements) and still use DJI Fly 1.2.1? I mean do you HAVE to use the latest version of the app when using the new firmware?
I'm using the latest aircraft and remote firmware versions but still running 1.2.1 on my android phone.
Works absolutely fine.

I've read of a few people having problems with 1.2.2 and I'm happy to wait for the new features (like 2.7k 60fps) so I'm sticking with 1.2.1 for now.

I just looked and mine was 1.2.1... so I just went to DJI site and downloaded 1.2.2
Now I can sleep at night, lol

I'm using the latest aircraft and remote firmware versions but still running 1.2.1 on my android phone.
Works absolutely fine.

I've read of a few people having problems with 1.2.2 and I'm happy to wait for the new features (like 2.7k 60fps) so I'm sticking with 1.2.1 for now.

Yeah I also updated to all the latest firmware versions but still use DJI Fly app 1.2.1. Everything seems to work fine and I'm waiting for the app to show up on the Google Play Store before I update it.

There is one thing though, which I don't know if it's related to the firmware version, app version, hardware defect or something else, but I've noticed that my drone tends to either rotate slowly (usually to the right) or drift a little when it's supposed to be hovering, even in very weak winds. I don't think it did when I first got it. There have been many firmware updates since then and at least one app update so I don't know. My drone never crashed, never got hit, never landed abruptly or anything. I take extremely good care of it! ;) I noticed this before the latest firmware update so it probably isn't caused by the last update.

I calibrate the compass every time I go out to fly, calibrate the IMU from time to time and calibrated the controller sticks a few times just to make sure. I still don't understand what's causing it. It's a major pain in the *** when I'm trying to shoot photos at night though, where I need 1/2 second or 1 second exposure... :(

Did you check the Flight log after calibration of compass? I had unintended drifts once this year as well and learned here that a passed calibration is not automatically a good calibration. After a compass calibration, there appears this line in the flight log:

[L-COMPASS][scale cali(0)] estimation error:[<AFloatPointValue>]

No idea why I have to grab for this value deep inside the logs, why not displaying it directly in the calibration process in the end, but thats another topic. Fact is, a perfect calibration has here a value very close to 0. The process accepts an estimation error up to ~50 to still be a "good" calibration, but in fact it is not really good and can lead to issues during flight as I had to learn the hard way, too.

Last edited:
Did you check the Flight log after calibration of GPS? I had unintended drifts once this year as well and learned here that a passed calibration is not automatically a good calibration. After a GPS calibration, there appears this line in the flight log:

[L-COMPASS][scale cali(0)] estimation error:[<AFloatPointValue>]

No idea why I have to grab for this value deep inside the logs, why not displaying it directly in the calibration process in the end, but thats another topic. Fact is, a perfect calibration has here a value very close to 0. The process accepts an estimation error up to ~50 to still be a "good" calibration, but in fact it is not really good and can lead to issues during flight as I had to learn the hard way, too.

Wow I never would have known that! :oops: I relied on the message saying calibration complete or something similar thinking it was good. In fact I don't even know where to find this log to be perfectly honest (the Mini 2 is my first DJI drone). Can you see it right after calibration? And then if the value is not good what do you do? Another round of calibration?

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
valter123