DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Why is DJI Fly app 1.2.2 not available on the Google Play Store?

Does anyone have experience with installing 1.2.2 or 1.2.4 OVER existing Google Play installations (1.2.1)?

In other words should I uninstall 1.2.1 prior to installing 1.2.4? (would prefer to keep all settings and logs if possible)

Does anyone have experience with installing 1.2.2 or 1.2.4 OVER existing Google Play installations (1.2.1)?

In other words should I uninstall 1.2.1 prior to installing 1.2.4? (would prefer to keep all settings and logs if possible)
To answer my own question: the 1.2.4 .apk from DJI's site UPDATES the version installed, so safe to do OVER the existing 1.2.1 Google Play installation.

Now to see if I can spot what's new...

Nothing immediate - no firmware updates since the 1.2.1 Fly version.

The attitude indicator can be toggled with the old map view (not sure if this was in 1.2.2?), 48, 60fps in 2.7k and photo zoom as per 1.2.2. Tested indoors, so can't tell yet if there are any new Quickshot modes... nothing else stands out so far...

The new Attitude indicator in Fly was introduced in 1.2.2.

I thought you could check for app updates in Fly if you downloaded install from DJI, but that's only with Go4.

There's a "check for update" in Settings indeed.

Could the Attitude Indicator be toggled with the old style map in 1.2.2? (I was on 1.2.1)

I installed 1.2.4 over my existing 1.2.2. Before that, I updated 1.2.2 over 1.2.1. No uninstall ever done.

No issues so far. All good Thumbswayup

1.2.4 now also adds Hyperlapse Cruise Control for Android devices together with the Mavic Air 2.

This might be the reason Google don't allow it on Play Store

This "feature" sounds some serious alarm bells, with the Go 4 app in «hindsight»

- Supports in-app updates to allow you to download and install the latest version of DJI Fly.

This might be the reason Google don't allow it on Play Store

This "feature" sounds some serious alarm bells, with the Go 4 app in «hindsight»
I think you have that backwards. My guess is that they added the update check & download feature because it's no longer in the Play Store.

I would think that by now we should give up on expecting the latest Fly App to be available on Google Play Store ?

There's a "check for update" in Settings indeed.

Could the Attitude Indicator be toggled with the old style map in 1.2.2? (I was on 1.2.1)
There's check for update for AC and flysafe database, but it only shows current version off app. No check for update there.

My phone did show a notification from the app about the update from 1.2.2 to 1.2.4. Didn't work though, put me onto the wrong DJI page.

No check for update there
I can confirm that there is a check, but not in this part of the app. It is not in the area that is reached by the three dots in the upper right corner of the camera view, but on the start screen > profile > settings and then select in the left sidebar the entry "about" (one line above unlock GEO zones). There it is.

Last edited:
Screenshot_20210128-071949.jpg
App update check is under "Settings" -> "About"

Interestingly, first option under settings is "Device Management" which did not exist in 1.2.1 but not connected at the mo so can't quite understand what it does...

Today, DJI Fly App 1.2.4 appeared as a new App inside the Samsung Galaxy Store - as an Alternative to Google Play Store at least for the Samsung Community to be kept up-to-date without sideloading.

16 years is the minimum age to fly drones in the EU since this year, so it is at least somehow consistent to EU laws ?

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Htrismegistus