DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Why is DJI Fly app 1.2.2 not available on the Google Play Store?

Heads-up: both the app itself and Galaxy Store have an "update available" notification: DJI website still says 1.2.4 is the latest.

After about 175MB (of 280MB) the download from the Galaxy Store took too long so stopped and opted for the app update option...

Version now shows "v1.2.4(920-official)" - can anyone not having done the update confirm if there is another number (e.g. "919-official") in theirs?
Screenshot_20210208-184629.jpg

I now already have downloads of v1.2.4 APKs in 3 versions on my phone: 917, 919, 920. However never seen any kind of In-App notification neither about an available 919 nor 920. Just found out myself by downloading the APK on different days again, and of course no release notes at all. What a messy practise of software deployment..

The notification in the app came when I launched the app itself, not through Android system.

In fact, as did the "Update" notification on the Galaxy Store, when I actually launched the Store itself and looked for the app...

Didn't take screenshots though... :rolleyes:

It is indeed a very long-winded method unless one uses the app daily (found out later that 920 was released on 5 February)...

Hello there! New Mini 2 owner (my first DJI drone) and new to this forum.

Can someone tell my why the new DJI Fly app version 1.2.2 is NOT available on the Google Play Store while previous versions were, even though it's been out for over a week on their web site? And is this a frequent thing that DJI releases Android apps on their web site that are not approved on the Google Play Store?

It's just that I HATE installing apps that are not on the Google Play Store and have not been vetted and approved to be safe and stable, especially when previous versions of the same app were. There is a reason why these stores exist and we don't just install anything from any source.

Thanks and have a nice day!
Me too........ the DJI Fly app say a I have the latest version??‍♂️ 1.2.1

It's all politics, nothing to do with code stability... the app from the DJI site seems stable and functioning properly so far from 1.2.2 onwards. I'm also someone who is avert to installing apks directly (where possible) but only on the basis of ease to keeping the apps updated - keep in mind, the Fly app IS on the Galaxy store (if you are using a Samsung).

Just like on PC one had to download software from each company separately (before Microsoft's attempt to control things in their Store) - why have a different attitude with Android apps?

Reverting to an OS (iOS) that only allows you to access your own device as the developer wants you to ("file system, what is file system???") may be a step back, if on the grounds of this issue alone...

Reactions: Kilrah
is there a path to install without the direct APK download? My corp settings on my phone is preventing it from doing so. I can only have Play Store approved apps.

is there a path to install without the direct APK download? My corp settings on my phone is preventing it from doing so. I can only have Play Store approved apps.
If you have a Samsung phone, the latest app is also available on their Galaxy Store, if that store is allowed by your organisation.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petravka