DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Why is DJI holding back the Mavic 3 release?

BSauce955

Inspire or be Inspired
Approved Vendor
Reactions
Ok, so I'm sure there are alot of people awaiting the arrival of the DJI Mavic 3. I mean, I haven't seen a whole section dedicated to the release of any other drone. For me personally, DJI has released every other drone than what I've wanted. I mean, the Air 2S is great, which makes me wonder what definite specs the Mavic 3 is going to have. However, I'm curious as to why DJI would hold back the release for so long. I mean, the Mavic 2 was released in 2018 which makes 3-4 years since its release. What is holding DJI back from releasing the Mavic 3?

Ok, so I'm sure there are alot of people awaiting the arrival of the DJI Mavic 3. I mean, I haven't seen a whole section dedicated to the release of any other drone. For me personally, DJI has released every other drone than what I've wanted. I mean, the Air 2S is great, which makes me wonder what definite specs the Mavic 3 is going to have. However, I'm curious as to why DJI would hold back the release for so long. I mean, the Mavic 2 was released in 2018 which makes 3-4 years since its release. What is holding DJI back from releasing the Mavic 3?
If I had to guess I'd say it's a combination of pandemic, chip shortage, Mavic 2 sales remaining high for a long time, and the Air 2S doing a good portion of what the average user needs/wants.

Think about how long Ford made the old body Ranger without changing anything. Sales were still good, tooling was paid off....keep making it until sales drop.

If I had to guess I'd say it's a combination of pandemic, chip shortage, Mavic 2 sales remaining high for a long time, and the Air 2S doing a good portion of what the average user needs/wants.

Think about how long Ford made the old body Ranger without changing anything. Sales were still good, tooling was paid off....keep making it until sales drop.
Makes sense. I'm getting impatient though. When I've been disappointed 4 times. First, the Air 2, then the Mini 2, then the Mini SE, then the Air 2S (that was the best of them all, essentially what I'd have expected in a Mavic 3). However, still no mavic 3

I just posted this article so DJI is in no Hurry to release anything

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain and Land on the Water.

Reactions: mystered and db4476
I think, as others have said, chip shortage might have the biggest impact. If you think about Autel as an example, they had to change their entire controller because they couldn't access chips and had to redesign their system. Also, if you think about it, when DJI rolls out a product it is customarily already on the shelf, unlike a company like Apple that teases you into a pre-order which arrives when it arrives, and Apple enthusiasts are almost a cult anyway so they can do that. DJI has recognized that for them having product on the shelves upon release is good business because it propagates sales while people are still salivating.

Only other thing I think plays into it (agree with above) is that I still am putting money on the Mavic 3 to run on the Fly App (even on smart controller) and I have a feeling there is a lot more going into the sprints and etc for MVP (minimal viable product) for Mavic 3 users than there was for the newer drones (mini2 , air2 and air2s)... At the end of the day it all grows on itself but I bet we will see some more baked options there at launch. Just a guess.

How were you disappointed with the Mini 2?
For me personally, the Mini 2 just seems like a toy. Now I've seen footage from it, and I see that it's great, but I just can't shake off the feeling that it's a toy. It's like getting a tiny Lamborghini that's as fast as heck. I mean, it does the job, but it's not quite right.

• Sad
Reactions: MaxE1955!
For me personally, the Mini 2 just seems like a toy. Now I've seen footage from it, and I see that it's great, but I just can't shake off the feeling that it's a toy. It's like getting a tiny Lamborghini that's as fast as heck. I mean, it does the job, but it's not quite right.

All these low cost drones ARE toys.

This is NOT a toy: but some will see it as one.

@eEridani
Certainly not, but I would not like to have such a beast, as I probably can't afford it nor willing to transport it anyway. I do like the compact design of DJI's Air/Mavic series.

That said, the technical side is superb nonetheless but most pilots here, I would assume, focus more on recreational or light business side of flying when talking of the Mavic 3, not especially border protection etc. ;-)

The other possibility is that the design has some technical problems that cannot be fixed as rapidly as DJI would like.

Reactions: Smooth Rhythm
Drones today come in many shapes, forms and price tags. The most important question is, what do you need it for?
Fun or a tool in your work? If its for fun, then the specs. are what they are and you have fun. If you like spending your money on great technology thats fine, I know, I just bought an electric bike I don't need but it will be fun. If its for work, then you have requirements; safety, practicality, price; camera FPS, Mbps, resolution, noise, quality; reliability and maintainability etc. Having a toy for fun and a tool for work are two different things.

I agree completely.
All these low cost drones ARE toys.
Any drone over 249 grams that has to be registered with the FAA and requires a registration number on the drone, in my mind, is not a toy, but for drones less than 250 grams, well, Dictionary.com says:

“Toy”: —noun

1. an object, often a small representation of something familiar, as an animal or person, for children or others to play with; plaything.
  2. a thing or matter of little or no value or importance; a trifle.
  3. something that serves for or as if for diversion, rather than for serious pratical use.
  4. a small article of little value but prized as a souvenir or for some other special reason; trinket; knickknack; bauble.
  5. something diminutive, especially in comparison with like objects.
… So, they sorta fit the bill ?

This is NOT a toy: but some will see it as one.
I mean, everyone's entitled to their opinion but I doubt people would consider that as a toy if they see it flying over their property. All of a sudden, it becomes a spy plane.

Any drone over 249 grams that has to be registered with the FAA and requires a registration number on the drone, in my mind, is not a toy, but for drones less than 250 grams, well, Dictionary.com says:

“Toy”: —noun

1. an object, often a small representation of something familiar, as an animal or person, for children or others to play with; plaything.
  2. a thing or matter of little or no value or importance; a trifle.
  3. something that serves for or as if for diversion, rather than for serious pratical use.
  4. a small article of little value but prized as a souvenir or for some other special reason; trinket; knickknack; bauble.
  5. something diminutive, especially in comparison with like objects.
… So, they sorta fit the bill ?
You can say it is a toy, yet when it comes to flying "below the radar" of most countries restrictive rules - the Mini series and any other drone under 250g's lets many pilots fly that cannot do so with anything over 250g. As rule makers go - they typically tighten the noose, not relaxing it - so that "toy" can get way more flight time than any Mavic / Phantom / etc made by DJI or most other drone makers.

I don't consider the Mini series a "business" drone in first place, but it can work and do certain functions well. It was built for rec pilots who want to get into droning without spending $1,500 or more and then find they are not into the hobby or even more so crashing / losing it when learning to fly. Losing a $400 drone is far easier to accept than say a $1,000+ or more drone. Again, not to mention it being under the radar of most regulations, easy to carry around, and just plain fun to fly by the seat of your pants. If someone can fly a Mini well, they can fly the more advanced drones even better.

But, that's just my opine!

Reactions: ckoerner and bonzo
I'm not sure how to respond to that.?
I have the Air 2 but for vacations the Mini 2 is my GO TO drone. Packs easy and produces some **** good video and pics. It is also unobtrusive. I will probably get the Mavic 3 when it comes out. I will most certainly get the Mini 3 if that ever becomes real.

Only other thing I think plays into it (agree with above) is that I still am putting money on the Mavic 3 to run on the Fly App (even on smart controller) and I have a feeling there is a lot more going into the sprints and etc for MVP (minimal viable product) for Mavic 3 users than there was for the newer drones (mini2 , air2 and air2s)... At the end of the day it all grows on itself but I bet we will see some more baked options there at launch. Just a guess.
If the anticipated Mavi 3 doesn’t run on the current ”Smart” controller, it will piss a lot of people off, including me.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
michalis