DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Why Mini 3 Pro beats Air2S 4K image quality

Did DJI stop selling the Mavic 2 Pro when the Air 2S was released? No.
The Air 2S will be around for a while yet,as they still need a model in their midrange
lineup yet.The only model that the mini 3 pro would replace would be the mini 2,but
I think even when the new mini 3 comes out,they would still have the mini 2 in the lineup
for a while yet.I could be wrong,but it only makes perfect sense.

I do not understand why you seem to have the obsession about the Air 2S and how it will be killed by the Mini 3. It makes no sense.

It's akin to saying "BMW will cancel the 5-series because the new 3-series is so good".

“Apple will replace the 16 inch core i9 MacBook with a new design as the M1 equipped 13 inch MacBook Air beats it in most tasks“

• Haha
Reactions: Beet
“Apple will replace the 16 inch core i9 MacBook with a new design as the M1 equipped 13 inch MacBook Air beats it in most tasks“
Yes, and they did. Until they did, the 16" remained on sale for those who required a larger screen. I'm not saying that DJI won't replace the Air 2S with a new design. Of course they will. I am arguing against your point that DJI will pull the Air 2S from sale.
I can't decide whether you are being deliberately belligerent, obtuse, or just plain stupid.

Reactions: Okie
Yes, and they did. Until they did, the 16" remained on sale for those who required a larger screen. I'm not saying that DJI won't replace the Air 2S with a new design. Of course they will. I am arguing against your point that DJI will pull the Air 2S from sale.
I can't decide whether you are being deliberately belligerent, obtuse, or just plain stupid.
You are the one arguing that your 16 inch intel i9 is a perfect device and that you don’t care about improvements because you don’t need them and in way you don’t believe the M1 performance improvements because why would apple make their more expensive MacBooks obsolete?

People who bought the intel devices when the M1 was about to be introduced, or after, now feel enormous buyers remorse. With the fans blazing constantly and video editing performance below a sub 1KG fanless device below 1000 dollar

• Haha
You are the one arguing that your 16 inch intel i9 is a perfect device and that you don’t care about improvements because you don’t need them and in way you don’t believe the M1 performance improvements because why would apple make their more expensive MacBooks obsolete?

People who bought the intel devices when the M1 was about to be introduced, or after, now feel enormous buyers remorse. With the fans blazing constantly and video editing performance below a sub 1KG fanless device below 1000 dollar
That's not what I'm saying at all. At no point have I said any of those things. In fact, I've said that if the Mini 3 beats the Air 2S on IQ I will go and buy one straight away.
What I am saying is that DJI will not obsolete the Air 2S immediately. They will replace it after a while with an Air 3 or whatever. Just in the same way that Apple didn't obsolete the 16" MacBooks when the M1 Pro 13" came out. You could still buy them and many people did who needed a larger screen or more RAM than the M1 models offered. I can see the same thing with the Air 2S. Some people will prefer a larger airframe for the additional stability in wind gusts. Or they may want the additional speed that the Air 2S offers. Or it might simply be a case of their particular use case lends itself towards a larger sensor more. Or some other reason.
For example, I fly a 360 degree camera underneath my Air 2S for 360 VR videos. I would not be able to do that with the Mini 3 as the camera weighs more than the entire Mini 3 drone.

You need to learn to not make sweeping statements. Everyone has different reasons and motivations for needing different things. To apply a generalisation to all motivations based on your own personal use-case is either arrogance to the extreme or stupidity based on a lack of experience.

Reactions: test2000Anafi
That's not what I'm saying at all. At no point have I said any of those things. In fact, I've said that if the Mini 3 beats the Air 2S on IQ I will go and buy one straight away.
What I am saying is that DJI will not obsolete the Air 2S immediately. They will replace it after a while with an Air 3 or whatever. Just in the same way that Apple didn't obsolete the 16" MacBooks when the M1 Pro 13" came out. You could still buy them and many people did who needed a larger screen or more RAM than the M1 models offered. I can see the same thing with the Air 2S. Some people will prefer a larger airframe for the additional stability in wind gusts. Or they may want the additional speed that the Air 2S offers. Or it might simply be a case of their particular use case lends itself towards a larger sensor more. Or some other reason.
For example, I fly a 360 degree camera underneath my Air 2S for 360 VR videos. I would not be able to do that with the Mini 3 as the camera weighs more than the entire Mini 3 drone.

You need to learn to not make sweeping statements. Everyone has different reasons and motivations for needing different things. To apply a generalisation to all motivations based on your own personal use-case is either arrogance to the extreme or stupidity based on a lack of experience.
Yeah sorry with “you” I meant as a collective I don’t meant individual people. Most of ‘you’ were claiming the stuff indicated by my example. i already seen some footage and I understand the airframe design and the buyers remorse will be pretty extreme

• Haha
Yeah sorry with “you” I meant as a collective I don’t meant individual people. Most of ‘you’ were claiming the stuff indicated by my example. i already seen some footage and I understand the airframe design and the buyers remorse will be pretty extreme
Why would there be any buyers remorse? If it really does beat the Air 2S on everything then people will have had 12 months of enjoying their Air 2S before getting rid of it.
Do you get buyers remorse whenever Samsung (or whoever) releases a new phone?
Tech moves on. People accept that.
Now, if it beat the Mavic Pro 3 on image quality, stability, and everything else then I could see there being a few salty tears. That is highly unlikely though.

Why would there be any buyers remorse? If it really does beat the Air 2S on everything then people will have had 12 months of enjoying their Air 2S before getting rid of it.
Now, if it beat the Mavic Pro 3 on image quality, stability, and everything else then I could see there being a few salty tears. That is highly unlikely though.
i agree but I mean in some topics people were advising other users to buy mini 2 and air2s, mere weeks ago. I understand if you need 16 inch you had to get the intel one. But then they show the mini led screen, thermal design, battery life, performance, and so on and at that time I believe there would be quite some buyers remorse especially when outside the return period and If you plan to use the device for years

• Haha
Maybe you will have better luck with this guy.I know i'm done

Area of 1" sensor is ~65% bigger.
(some possible variation depending on aspect ratios)

Back to primary school to learn math.
Or then decide it has just not so "media sexy" 12MP.

With far more (marketing) pixels in notably smaller sensor pixel size is far smaller...
And with fixed size of "support circuitry" actual light gathering area has smaller percentage of that at least without backside illumination. (though better micro lenses can mitigate some of that)
Hence per pixel quality is standard crappy with not much light gathered and limited dynamic range from fast saturation of tiny photosite.

Achieving real quality needs binning 2x2 pixels to one to average noise at quarter the resolution.
Or every other row can be read earlier/at shorter exposure to avoid saturation and increase dynamic range.
But Quad Bayer sensor also means actual colour resolution is far lower than 48MP, because colour data is only gotten in 2x2 pixel chunks.

F2 collects twice the light of f2.8.
F1.7 goes another half "stop" further. (full doubling at f1.4)
That makes three times the light. (per same exposure time)

Though resolution wise optical quality demands go up like exponentially at those apertures and there's no stopping down to lower resolution decreasing effect of optical aberrations.
My understanding is that f1.7 on small sensor is not the same as f1.7 on a large sensor. In terms of light and depth of field. So 1.7 on Mini may not be better than 2.8 on air2 because different size sensor.

My understanding is that f1.7 on small sensor is not the same as f1.7 on a large sensor. In terms of light and depth of field. So 1.7 on Mini may not be better than 2.8 on air2 because different size sensor.
Quote from online photo website -- " The crop sensor affects your field of view (how close you are to your subject), your depth of field (how thin your focus plane is/how much background blur you’ll get) and the amount of TOTAL light hitting the sensor (same amount of light per square inch of sensor, but less total light because you have less sensor area) and therefore your image quality.". Crop sensor being smaller sensor.
So f1.7 on small sensor does not mean more light than f2.8 larger sensor

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliassmith02