DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

why our hobby is in danger of over regulation

old man mavic

Premium Pilot
Reactions
hi fellow fliers years ago before the advent of the tech that now goes into our UAVs the hobby of flying RC was and still is an expensive and time consuming pastime many hours were spent constucting the machine and then many more learning to fly it most of the time these activities were conducted at designated flying sites and in the company of others who helped new pilots to gain the experience they needed to keep their model from crashing.my first UAV was a small simple one with no alti hold or gps and it was not easy to fly once airborn it required constant stick input just to stay in the air it was great fun though and taught me a lot about how to fly it then i progressed to a UAV with alitude hold and what a difference now i could concentrate more on doing flips funnels and banked turns without the worry of keeping the UAV at a set height then i got my first UAV with a camera GPS RTH and wow i could just let go of the stcks and it just stayed where it was battery getting low no problem it just came back and landed pretty close to its tke off point and then i purchased my first DJI and we all know what they are capable off with all the flight modes and fantastic cameras that they have now. the problem is that now anyone with the means and the desire to own a UAV can go and purchase one and without any training or even understanding of how the thing works or why it does certain things can charge up the battery and get airborn some might say this is a good thing i personally think it is a bad thing and you only have to see the number of posts about UAV crashes and disasters befalling new fliers. this coupled with the bad press that now abounds is why our hobby is in danger of over regulation.( rant over.)

Last edited:
Reactions: mnis
So true, it is too accessible. And it should not be accessible to the public, or should be sold to those who have a licence.
When you read this kind of post, it can only go in the wrong direction... wait until one of those national aviation authority figure out that these NFZ file can be modified or deleted.

Just like you I used to build my "drones", 10 years ago the public had no clue what drones were or could do.

Home made drone here

Reactions: mnis
Also agree with this.

I'm starting to think some classification of drones between the simple "selfie" models, more advanced ones like the Mavic/Phantom and some racing models, and the really high-end stuff is probably the way to go.

You can then severely limit the altitude and range of the basic models to prevent any issues (even allowing for their minimal weight). This segment can then be open to all, without any need for registration, tests, etc. Above that, you can create some bars to entry for each tier, but you still keep it realistic enough that people are not kept out of the hobby because of the costs of registation, tests, licensing, etc..

At least in the UK, registration and basic aptitude tests for owners of the higher end classes is coming (November 2019 at present); that also seems reasonable to me. To sweeten this a bit, I'd also like to see the CAA's commercial restrictions for RC imagery relaxed - requiring an expensive PfCO just for posting stuff to a monetized social media feed is more than a little behind the times now. The PfCO has its place for proper commercial endeavors, but not for people who just want to try and monetize a hobby for a little extra on the side - introduce a "PfCO Lite" perhaps? I don't mind paying a fee for some of this, but it needs to be reasonable given the cost/operation of the aircraft.

Beyond that, the main focus needs to be on technical measures, not legal and registration/testing of RC operators. Legal is not a major deterrant for someone who is going to flaunt it anyway - viz. incidents at LGW/LHR, prisons, US National Parks, etc. - but those measures should be balanced and grounded in practical requirements. e.g. NFZs should be determined by aviation operational requirements, not some arbitrary figure pulled out of the air. Appropriate anti-drone tech for commercial airports should be also a pre-requisite of operation at this point, IMHO, both for deterrance and safety.

Reactions: old man mavic
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CtrlAltDlt