DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Will mavic land on Tree Tops ?

BraamMavic

Reactions
Just a question:

If I'm flying over a dense forest / woodland area and I descend down to the tree tops, will the mavic mistake the tree tops for ground surface and auto land...in this case "auto crash" ?

A friend of mine apparently just had this issue resulting in a crashed mavic. I know you can turn off the downward positioning sensors, but that'll affect stability...

If the tree tops are dense enough it will attempt land. I'd always error on the side of thinking it will allow itself to land. Turning off downward sensors won't change this.

If I'm flying over a dense forest / woodland area and I descend down to the tree tops, will the mavic mistake the tree tops for ground surface and auto land...in this case "auto crash" ?
If you have Landing Protection enabled, have the left stick (throttle) in the full down position, and the downward sensors detect the Mavic is within 0.5 meters of the tree tops, the Mavic will switch to forced landing mode and auto land into the treetops.

Thanks Msinger. There is a pause ( how long?) between it reaching 0.5m and forced landing right ?

Reactions: Bunny Too
Too short to notice.

You downward sensors can stay on, it's "Landing protection" you want to turn off if you don't want autolanding.
Won't save you from descending into the trees anyway, but that would be kinda stupid to still push it down that close.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ranger 7