DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Will the Japanese battery version work in the North American Mavic Mini?

Reactions
I’m going to Japan and would love to bring my Mavic Mini but I wouldn’t be able fly it. The Japanese Mavic Mini uses a 50g 1100 mAh battery. That puts it at 199g. Will that battery work in my drone?
Is there anything else I’m missing? I’d like to bring my drone with me to Japan.
Thanks.

Reactions: Chris Baish
it is the same battery dimensionally, just uses different cells and has a stated flight time of 18 mins ,the only issue you may have is the operating frequency of the controller you would need to find out what system they use in Japan to see if would be allowed

Just for my knowledge: Why wouldn’t you be able to fly it in Japan with U.S. batteries? Do they require that anything in the air be under 200g? Thanks!

Just for my knowledge: Why wouldn’t you be able to fly it in Japan with U.S. batteries? Do they require that anything in the air be under 200g? Thanks!
Yeah it has to be under 200g. They mm in Japan is 199g. The only difference from what I know is the battery. The Japanese one is 1100 mAh and half the weight.

Reactions: old man mavic
Really though, if you operate it respectfully and by the rules(aside from weight) who is ever going to know it's not Japan compliant? Would it not just look like every other MM out there? Why would a regulatory agent feel compelled to check and weigh it?

I get that you are just trying to be compliant with the letter of the law, I guess I'm just skeptical anyone would ever challenge you on it. I'm sure no one will be watching flight times and wondering why you could fly longer than any other Mavic Mini's that might be flying in the area at the same time.

Reactions: Bernie707
It's stamped on the side. If they stop you for other reasons, they can see the design weight right on it as it is a marketing characteristic.

Reactions: old man mavic
Hi Chris, do you have updates ?
I’ll be in Japan in February, and I’d like to bring with me my mavic mini (bought in Italy). I’m not sure if I could just buy a new mavic mini battery in Tokyo and use the japanese version only....

I’m going to Japan and would love to bring my Mavic Mini but I wouldn’t be able fly it. The Japanese Mavic Mini uses a 50g 1100 mAh battery. That puts it at 199g. Will that battery work in my drone?
Is there anything else I’m missing? I’d like to bring my drone with me to Japan.
Thanks.

Exercise caution in bringing a Mini into Japan...it depends on the model and the frequencies used as well as the 199g takeoff weight; as long it is a CE/MIC-certified unit you should be OK as far as frequencies/transmitter power is concerned:

0cba1576878f09575b1aaeddeceafb24.jpg

Thank you. Where did you take that screenshot ? Seems that European mavic mini models will work in Japan because it’s ok in terms of certification. But it’s not ok in terms of weight unless you change the battery.
Look at what dji support said about this topic...

Attachments

• 3599AFF2-B01B-45F9-9BB8-B89ED649780C.png
    3599AFF2-B01B-45F9-9BB8-B89ED649780C.png
    895.4 KB · Views: 42
Thank you. Where did you take that screenshot ? Seems that European mavic mini models will work in Japan because it’s ok in terms of certification. But it’s not ok in terms of weight unless you change the battery.
Look at what dji support said about this topic...

Here’s the page reference:

As far as DJI Tech Support’s answer (and they ALWAYS have the best answers LOL) the only difference is the battery, which should work in all Mini variants unless the aircraft/app checks for a smaller capacity battery.

As long as the aircraft calculates flight time with remaining battery percentages correctly it just means you have less flight time - which is consistent with smaller mAH capacity of the battery.

I had the opportunity to speak to DJI techs this morning on several subjects, and I brought this one up last on my list.

I asked them if the Japanese model 1100 mAH battery could be used in a US aircraft, or the CE version sold in Europe.

As stated above there are only two models of aircraft and two models of remotes; the CE/MIC version which is sold in Europe and Japan, and the FCC/SRRC version which is sold in North/South America, China and a bunch of other countries.

ALL the aircraft are supplied with the 2400 mAH batteries except the Japanese version, which is supplied with an 1100 mAH battery.

The tech baulked at using a Japanese battery in the US aircraft, until I pointed out the same battery is used in the CE version when they sell it in Japan.

Let’s face it, with a smaller battery in the CE/MIC version you’ll get less flight time... if you’re using the US version of the aircraft you’ll get even LESS flight time as operating in FCC mode eats more power as the transmitter has a higher output.

All that being said, they finally got down to the real reason they don’t advise it: warranty.

Your warranty is usually only good within a certain geographical region where you purchased the drone/remote/battery.

If you take a drone from the United States, (or even a CE version from Italy) and run it with the smaller Japanese battery - and for some reason the drone crashes - they may not honor the warranty because that battery wasn’t originally supplied by your region.

Of course it’s your drone, and you can do with it as you please.

Just be advised that DJI may not honor your warranty in case of a crash if a flight log would reveal it is battery-related.

The other consideration is operating frequencies; if you have the FCC/SRRC version it should not be used in Japan; the Mini won’t switch Wi-Fi frequencies/power levels like some of the other DJI drones.

They did this limitation in hardware, not firmware.

Last edited:
rangemaster728,

So, according with your considerations:

1) my "italian" mavic mini can properly work in Japan because it works with the same operating frequencies.
2) I have just to change the battery with the Japanese one to transform my Mavic Mini from 249g to 199g.
3) DJI doesn't confirm that batteries are interchangeable for warranty reason
4) It's not sure if DJ FLY app will recognise the japanese battery and you suggest to pay attention and don't fly over 10/15 minutes.

All correct?
Thank you for your time and your support, you're really kind.

I had the opportunity to speak to DJI techs this morning on several subjects, and I brought this one up last on my list.

I asked them if the Japanese model 1100 mAH battery could be used in a US aircraft, or the CE version sold in Europe.

As stated above there are only two models of aircraft and two models of remotes; the CE/MIC version which is sold in Europe and Japan, and the FCC/SRRC version which is sold in North/South America, China and a bunch of other countries.

ALL the aircraft are supplied with the 2400 mAH batteries except the Japanese version, which is supplied with an 1100 mAH battery.

The tech baulked at using a Japanese battery in the US aircraft, until I pointed out the same battery is used in the CE version when they sell it in Japan.

Let’s face it, with a smaller battery in the CE/MIC version you’ll get less flight time... if you’re using the US version of the aircraft you’ll get even LESS flight time as operating in FCC mode eats more power as the transmitter has a higher output.

All that being said, they finally got down to the real reason they don’t advise it: warranty.

Your warranty is usually only good within a certain geographical region where you purchased the drone/remote/battery.

If you take a drone from the United States, (or even a CE version from Italy) and run it with the smaller Japanese battery - and for some reason the drone crashes - they may not honor the warranty because that battery wasn’t originally supplied by your region.

Just be advised that DJI may not honor your warranty in case of a crash if a flight log would reveal it is battery-related.

The other consideration is operating frequencies; if you have the FCC/SRRC version it should not be used in Japan; the Mini won’t switch Wi-Fi frequencies/power levels like some of the other DJI drones.

rangemaster728,

So, according with your considerations:

1) my "italian" mavic mini can properly work in Japan because it works with the same operating frequencies.
2) I have just to change the battery with the Japanese one to transform my Mavic Mini from 249g to 199g.
3) DJI doesn't confirm that batteries are interchangeable for warranty reason
4) It's not sure if DJ FLY app will recognise the japanese battery and you suggest to pay attention and don't fly over 10/15 minutes.

All correct?
Thank you for your time and your support, you're really kind.

Yes, that is my interpretation...and I didn’t leave them much ‘wiggle room’ on the technical aspects.

Your aircraft and remote (in Italy) are identical to the Japanese model - only the battery is different by virtue of weight and mAH.

As far as displaying proper battery percentage that might be dependent upon the app...but other than language I’d wager the aircraft talks to the app and indicates what battery is onboard.

A hover test with the 1100 mAH battery (perhaps with prop guards) is what I recommend before any serious flights, just to be safe.

That should give you a definitive answer as to flight times.

It's official! We can use japanese battery !

Dear friend, it was always officially, as per documentation. Even more, there were videos on youtube where a Japanese Mini Version was used in a CE aircraft.
The only difference is that you wanted to hear it directly from DJI, but again nothing else is changed as hardware enthusiasts will explorer it was before the manufacturer said that it is or is not possible.

Enjoy your trip and Safe flights !

Hello i just wanted some clarifications. So you can't use the MM US version even if you changed the battery to the Japanese one because of the difference in frequency?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davidt2