DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Will the P line become redundant?

KNAVE

Reactions
A friend of mine thinks that dji will be able to put all the tech of the phantom into the mavic 2 and that there will be no reason to continue the phantom line. What do you think?

P.S. I do not agree with this theory.

When (or if) there is a Mavic 2, or whatever name it will be called, I dont think it will cause the discontinuance of the Phantom series. First of all, it will probably be priced at $999 or more, and DJI is still selling tons of Phantom 3 Standards for $499 and Phantom 3SE's for $599 with a 4k camera. These are great entry level drones for those people who dont want to cough up $999 or more for a Mavic (or Mavic 2 when and if if it is ever made).

Although DJI has discontinued the P34k, P3A and the P3P, I dont see the above mentioned versions going away any time soon. Besides, most people who buy P3S or SE tend to keep them (or crash them) for a while and then sell them to upgrade to Mavics or P4P's.

As far as replacing the P4P, I dont see them going away for at least a year or two. They arent even a year old since release, and they are still the standard for prosumer drone buyers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bunny Too
I don't think so, at least anytime in the next few years. The main reason being is sensor and glass size. As powerful as small cameras that are currently found on smartphones are there is still a significant market for larger style mirroless and DSLR cameras. The physical size of the Mavic and how large of a camera sensor and glass it can carry will always limit it in terms of image quality.

I don't see the line P disappearing as aerial photographers are seeking IQ.
If the Phantom series can carry a detachable mirror-less equivalent camera with optic zoom (found on the Zenmuse Z30) and has retractable legs with 360 avoidance then market is still there. The acquisition of Hhaassbbllaadd (sp?) shows how serious DJI is with miniaturizing the camera tech.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78