DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Windows Surface Pro 7 with Mavic Pro ?

You can do much better. For example the one I linked above (I realize it's out of stock) is a night & day better machine for another $100.

You need to be really careful when looking at Apple machines. First, their software support is very limited, especially if you're used to Windows machines. You have to play by their rules for everything. Second, they are very careful to never reveal actual specs of their computers, which makes people say things like "my mac from 20XX is still good" or "my mac has an i7" which means absolutely nothing. The reason they do this is because they sell 4-6 year old hardware at full MSRP for as long as they can (less so now, but they used to be really bad for it). Every part has a model number and you need to know what those are to evaluate the computer. If you want more bang for your buck, look for a Windows machine similar to what I linked with a Ryzen 5000 CPU or an 11th gen Intel H-series CPU.

What does “edit woth a proxy” mean?

It means your timeline (what you edit) can be in 1080P even though the footage you are editing is 4K and the final intended output is in 4K.

Davinci Resolve, a very powerful free video editing program (full version is cheap too), can do this.

Reactions: slozukimc
You can do much better. For example the one I linked above (I realize it's out of stock) is a night & day better machine for another $100.

You need to be really careful when looking at Apple machines. First, their software support is very limited, especially if you're used to Windows machines. You have to play by their rules for everything. Second, they are very careful to never reveal actual specs of their computers, which makes people say things like "my mac from 20XX is still good" or "my mac has an i7" which means absolutely nothing. The reason they do this is because they sell 4-6 year old hardware at full MSRP for as long as they can (less so now, but they used to be really bad for it). Every part has a model number and you need to know what those are to evaluate the computer. If you want more bang for your buck, look for a Windows machine similar to what I linked with a Ryzen 5000 CPU or an 11th gen Intel H-series CPU.
I will have to respectfully disagree with you on your assessment, I am running 2020 Creative Cloud (all the adobe apps), a number of "new" applications and 3D software on my 2010 iMac. I limit the OS to High Sierra because unfortunately a lot of our proprietary software used for work is not updated to run on the newer OS. For an 11 year old machine, I can still run a lot of current software.

I will have to respectfully disagree with you on your assessment, I am running 2020 Creative Cloud (all the adobe apps), a number of "new" applications and 3D software on my 2010 iMac. I limit the OS to High Sierra because unfortunately a lot of our proprietary software used for work is not updated to run on the newer OS. For an 11 year old machine, I can still run a lot of current software.

Well, it doesn't really matter what we think, we can simply look at objective benchmarks and just because someone can technically run a piece of software on very old hardware doesn't mean it's a good experience, or an experience comparable to modern standards.

The fact of the matter is that a 2010 iMac is full of off-the-shelf components (probably an old intel CPU with at most 4 cores + Radeon GPU with only 1 or 2GB VRAM) whose performance can be measured objectively, so there really is nothing to argue here.

If you want to share the model numbers I would be happy to show you just how far things have come.

I could run the creative cloud on my 12 year old machine as well, but it is more than 4 times faster on the machine I built earlier this year. I guess if your only criteria is "will it run", then that is a different conversation, but I think it's fair to say most people are wanting to save as much time a possible while editing and still have a smooth experience.

Well, it doesn't really matter what we think, we can simply look at objective benchmarks and just because someone can technically run a piece of software on very old hardware doesn't mean it's a good experience, or an experience comparable to modern standards.

The fact of the matter is that a 2010 iMac is full of off-the-shelf components (probably an old intel CPU with at most 4 cores + Radeon GPU with only 1 or 2GB VRAM) whose performance can be measured objectively, so there really is nothing to argue here.

If you want to share the model numbers I would be happy to show you just how far things have come.

I could run the creative cloud on my 12 year old machine as well, but it is more than 4 times faster on the machine I built earlier this year. I guess if your only criteria is "will it run", then that is a different conversation, but I think it's fair to say most people are wanting to save as much time a possible while editing and still have a smooth experience.
I agree which is why I have the Mac Mini but the OP was looking for lower cost options. That was my original point. To be fair, I did replace the original HD with an SSD years ago so it isn't the standard iMac it once was.

You see that is where I am not most folks. I don’t need it to be todays standards. I would be happy with 5 years ago standards for sure. My last desktop measured ram in MB so anything with GB of ram would be faster than I am used to.

Also, I found this one for $662 open box that I can afford. https://www.bestbuy.com/site/dell-i...y-512gb-ssd-sandstorm/6409066.p?skuId=6409066

I,ve been flying a mavic pro for some time and I can say Get something that can render all that your drone can do and you,ll be much happier I got lucky and found what I use on sale but for the longest time all I could do was 1980. and there is a big difference in the video when i got the higher numbers and I paid 299.00 and got some nice intel graphics 8 ram 500ssd and so on

I,ve been flying a mavic pro for some time and I can say Get something that can render all that your drone can do and you,ll be much happier I got lucky and found what I use on sale but for the longest time all I could do was 1980. and there is a big difference in the video when i got the higher numbers and I paid 299.00 and got some nice intel graphics 8 ram 500ssd and so on
I have lots of time before I “need” the computer so I am going to keep shopping around.

Thank you very much for your advice.

Mike

You see that is where I am not most folks. I don’t need it to be todays standards. I would be happy with 5 years ago standards for sure. My last desktop measured ram in MB so anything with GB of ram would be faster than I am used to.

Also, I found this one for $662 open box that I can afford. https://www.bestbuy.com/site/dell-i...y-512gb-ssd-sandstorm/6409066.p?skuId=6409066

That's the best one you've linked so far. The 4700U is one generation old but still a very good CPU, especially relative to the Intel competition. It is a low wattage CPU but for transferring video that doesn't matter. Something like that is so much better than looking at 5-6 year old Macbooks.

That's the best one you've linked so far. The 4700U is one generation old but still a very good CPU, especially relative to the Intel competition. It is a low wattage CPU but for transferring video that doesn't matter. Something like that is so much better than looking at 5-6 year old Macbooks.
Thank you. I tend to lean toward Macbooks because I had bad experiences with trying to run an internet sales business and having to either keep my friend the computer Medic on call or learn to fix them myself. So when it got to that point I bought Powerbook G4’s and then when Android finally had an ebay app I had no more PC’s in the house. I still have the old Powerbooks and they still run but are way too old. I went to an iphone when the 7 came out and it was water resistant and nothing Sprint had was comparable when I needed a new phone. The Apple stuff just works and keeps working in my experience.

Thank you. I tend to lean toward Macbooks because I had bad experiences with trying to run an internet sales business and having to either keep my friend the computer Medic on call or learn to fix them myself. So when it got to that point I bought Powerbook G4’s and then when Android finally had an ebay app I had no more PC’s in the house. I still have the old Powerbooks and they still run but are way too old. I went to an iphone when the 7 came out and it was water resistant and nothing Sprint had was comparable when I needed a new phone. The Apple stuff just works and keeps working in my experience.

If you're talking physical reliability, that is just luck more than anything. The Apple products from those eras used the exact same off-the-shelf components as a comparable Windows machine. The only differences would have been the chassis and the OS, and in terms of the chassis, Macs tend to run extremely hot because they prioritize fashion over function in almost every instance, and end up with inadequate cooling and throttling CPUs. These days it's mostly just personal preference, but if you need the highest performance possible, Apple chooses not to compete in that market.

If you're talking physical reliability, that is just luck more than anything. The Apple products from those eras used the exact same off-the-shelf components as a comparable Windows machine. The only differences would have been the chassis and the OS, and in terms of the chassis, Macs tend to run extremely hot because they prioritize fashion over function in almost every instance, and end up with inadequate cooling and throttling CPUs. These days it's mostly just personal preference, but if you need the highest performance possible, Apple chooses not to compete in that market.
I am talking about the constant headaches I had with system crashes and things just not working right without messing with them. Always an upgrade needed to do the same stuff I did before but now the program won’t work with the system you have kind of things. I’ll admit my experience is Windows 98 and XP at the newest so maybe things are different.

I do have a little windows xp laptop for use with VagCom for VW cars and that says error this is not a 32 bit something or other when I try to load the dji assistant on that. Ugh.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d